“Just not quite there!”

Ranked #3 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Switzerland
“Just not quite there!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We regularly stay in the sister hotel Great John Street when in town but as it was full we decided to give the sister hotel in Didsbury a try. It was a little further out from town than they'd led me to believe on the phone so taxi fares really added to the cost. It was a beautiful building and so promising as we drove in. But here's why we won't stay again. Our room was just at the top of the stairs over the front lounge so we heard everything going on downstairs and am sure they could hear us. Above us was THE creakiest landing ever. Until 2am and from 6am it literally felt like a herd of elephants over our bed. It was actually like they were going to fall through the floor! We'd come for a decent nights sleep away from 3 kids, and we got a worse nights sleep than we'd had in months. Couple that with the fact there was NO ventilation in the stuffy rooms apart from a noisy overbed fan and we felt like we'd been hit over the head in the morning! We loved the building and the garden bar but we won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Caroline D, Operations Manager at Eleven Didsbury Park, responded to this review, 11 May 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I'm sorry to hear that your stay didn't live up to your expectations. Due to the age of the beautiful building it does retain those old building characters.
It's good to hear you enjoyed the garden.
If you do decide to visit ourselves again, please let us know so we can make sure you have a room away from the main staircase.
Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
warwickshire
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I stayed here a couple of years ago with a work colleague and we both loved it. The room was clean, the bar area was relaxing and the breakfast selection was great. I would stay here again if I were to be in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank susan1warwickshire
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 August 2013

When a place is run by someone who genuinely likes their work, it shows. Takes an interest in people, along with providing a comfortable, clean and quiet place to stay. Next time I hope to stay for longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Everything was wrong with this hotel - here are few of my complaints.
I stayed in the garden Suite, it was dark downstairs with a small landing and balcony upstairs.
The bath was in the main bedroom so it made it extremely uncomfortable as no air could flow
I was informed breakfast started at 8am, so had no time as a taxi was collecting me at 8.15.
For evening dinner the fries arrived after I'd almost finished the main meal!
Having asked for an early morning call it didn't happen, excuse was the clock in reception was 1 hour behind!!!!
I could go on but this will give the jist of the experience I had - stayed on 22nd/23rd July 2013 and decide to move to another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank RedC2013
OpsEclectic, Manager at Eleven Didsbury Park, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Sir

Having read your comments on trip advisor I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the late delivery of your French fries to your room and for the mix up with your alarm call, Eleven Didsbury Park takes all customer feedback on service issues very seriously. The issue with the switchboard has now been rectified and working satisfactorily. We thank you for your comments.

Andrew Hughes

Information to Trip Advisor readers on our Veranda Suite (and can be viewed on our website www.elevendidsburypark.com)
The Veranda Suite has been completely redesigned and refurbished in late 2012. Its approximately 700 sq ft.
It is a duplex suite looking out onto our Victorian walled garden and enjoys a ground floor veranda and first floor covered private balcony.
It has 4 sets of double patio doors overlooking the garden as well as two other windows.
The lounge is situated on the ground floor with the bathroom, bedroom and landing on the first floor.
The suite offers a Vi Spring mattress, walk in monsoon shower, cast iron bath within the bedroom, 2 flat screen TVs, Roberts DAB Radio / docking station, minibar with working desk, sofa and chair with dimmable mood lighting in all areas.
Its our most popular and largest room and consequently attracts excellent feedback.
Breakfast is served from 7am – 10.30am Monday to Friday and 8am -12noon Saturday & Sunday.
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was our first trip to Manchester and as the taxi drove further and further away from the station, we wondered where on earth we would end up. No need for alarm - Didsbury is a very fashionable suburb full of great shops and restaurants and Eleven Didsbury Park is a really lovely hotel. It felt more like staying in a country house. The garden is really lovely and although the weather didn't allow us to use it, it would be a delightful place to spend some time in warm weather.
The hotel is sophisticated, with very attractive décor throughout. Our room was small but comfortable, with a slightly beachy theme. Very nice. The breakfast is excellent. Staff are uniformly friendly and helpful, and assisted us with recommendations for local restaurants and pubs.
In case you are worried about the distance from the city centre, there is a very regular bus just around the corner and it is an easy trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darlene3501
London
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I was in Manchester for a night on business and stayed here. Room was excellent, clean and spacious.

Food was also of a high quality and the service I received from staff was top notch. Will definitely recommend this hotel to my employer if I'm here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TommySmithLondon
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I consider myself lucky that this hotel is bookable via our corporate travel booking. It is by far the nicest, friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in. It beats all big hotel chains hands down. A small hotel, with a great garden and very original rooms, tastefully decorated matched by equally great staff.

This is my number one choice I Manchester.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business