“Disgrace”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Disgrace”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I av stayed in many hotels around the world, this is by far the worst. The service is terrible, the receptionists are rude, the rooms are dirty and smell, I stayed in room 6 which wad tiny and very hot, the window opened up into some dark service area, I moved to room 258, where the view was of old dirty mattresses and old toilets just left out to rot! The food is disgusting and overpriced! The beer is flat, there is hardly no phone reception, and the wifi is only available in the bar area, my tv had no picture because room 6 is basically in the basement, the spa area is basically a public gym. Please dnt stay here, trust me you will regret it

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Narns2010
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay. I have looked into your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and can confirm that all of our bedrooms and public areas and cleaned and vacuumed on daily basis by our room attendants and are then checked by our housekeepers to ensure they are correctly prepared to our usual high standards for our guests arrival.

I will address your comments regarding the receptionists with our Reception Manager.

Room 6 is a small standard double room, which was the room type booked, and I was pleased to read that you were given a complimentary upgrade to a larger room when you brought this to our attention.

Our Health Club is open to both hotel guests and private members and can at times become extremely busy.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Patrick Fitzgerald,
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Hull, England
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at the Country House on the 7th January 2012 it was awful. Only one key worked and it took the other several attempts every time. The basin in the bathroom was cracked and wouldn`t keep water in it. But the very worst thing was the bed it consisted of springs and every time you moved another spring went into you. We ended up sleeping on top of the duvet and spare blancket and putting the bathsheets over us and our coats on top of them. We still have bad backs!

The whole hotel needed updating and refurbishing.

Room Tip: Don`t stay in room 141
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lilian J

I was sorry to read your comments and feel that it is a complete shame that you did not contact our reception to enable us to sort out any issues you experienced immediately as an alternative room could have been arranged for you.

We have magnetic locks and some guests do find swiping the key card difficult, the key has to be fully inserted into the lock and swiped slowly downwards for the lock to open and once this is explained to guests they usually have no further issues.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Terrible hotel, unclean and very tired looking. If you get a cheap rate its maybe MAYBE its worth staying here. My view consisted of a pile of old beds and mattresses... great!!! Lobby was very smelly as was our room.

Pros - Cheap

Cons - Feels very cheap

Advice - Stay for one night MAX and take an air freshener

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simonondo
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I was apprehensive when I arrived as the hotel was extremely busy and every one of their several car parks was full, with cars double parked in nearby lanes. Obviously some social event was taking place.
However I was not kept waiting and neither was I rushed through the check in process. There was a hitch - the single room I had booked was no longer available - but, filled with apologies, the staff upgraded my room to a suite, which I found exceptionally comfortable.
Even though I shall probably not be upgraded next time, I will most certainly be using the hotel again on account of the quality of care, consideration and service provided by the staff.
With the large number of car parks available on the hotel premises I doubt whether they find themselves crowded out very often. However I did have to park on a wet muddy verge and walk in the pouring rain for a good 5 minutes, dragging two suitcases, and felt somewhat bedraggled on arrival. Still - what do you expect from Manchester but RAIN!
I do think these were exceptional circumstances and do not blame the hotel for having their car parks crowded out by a large social event.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

An excellent experience! The staff did everything possible to make the festive break memorable. Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone was positive, helpful and very cheerful. To provide a three course festive lunch to over 200 people, at once, and maintain standards of good, hot and plentiful food to all is some achievment. I do like hot food on a hot plate and they always were! Despite another post to the contrary, I used the lift all over the break! Comfortable room; great entertainment. There was always someone around to make suggestions and answer queries. I would heartily recommend the hotel and would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Blackpool
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Took my daughter here for the 3 night Twixmas break, £55 each for D, B &B. We also had free wine and choc's using their Advent calendar. Check in was a little slow but that's what happens when several people arrive at once, so hey, no worries. Went to allocated room which was ground floor, great as awaiting knee replacement. Unfortunately room was very small, so contacted Duty Manager and explained politely how disappointed I was and he agreed to room change if available. Reception staff were great, offered us a 1st floor room, but lift was not working. My daughter ran up to check the room and said we would take it after discussion with me. DM Mr Ali (so nice) helped carry our luggage up. Room turned out to be a Superior room and was clean and well maintained. Hot, but just turned radiator down and opened window a little.Daughter loved spa bath, 2 1/2 hours one night!! Food was of a decent standard and plentiful. Restaurant staff pleasant and obliging. There was entertainment, quiz, d.j. etc which we didn't make use of. Main bar staff were very helpful and happily gave me bucket of ice to take to room. Thanks to all staff. Good staff really make a difference.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, ask and you may be as lucky as we were. Polite and friendly always...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jacqui13Blackpool
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2012

Ellesmere Port, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful stay, the staff were very helpful, courteous and polite, as was the manager who we found to be very friendly and caring. We could not fault the meals and the people we befriended their agreed. They had different entertainers in two seperate places and the entertainment was excellent. We could see any show we wanted however as the one show was held after the evening meal in the large dining room, seating there for anyone not eating in that room was hard to find. The facilities were extremely good and clean though there was a charge of £4.00 pp. to use the pool etc. We were on the second floor in a very comfortable room, however the lift was not working during our stay. Overall we a great time and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple