“Car park security ?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
workington
“Car park security ?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night 28th dec 2011 and left my car parked for 15 nights whilst i wa son holiday abroad. When i pulled up at the hotel all car parks were full apart from the one to the left of the hotel. When looking for a space there were 3 cars with smashed windows and the police on the scene this put me off before i even found a parking space. The hotel itself was very good and we were given a large size room with jacuzzi bath. The bed was very comfortable and the heating in the room perfect. The bar was very friendly and comfortable. We did not eat at the restaurant but it was busy at the time.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laceygrace
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
We do have in excess of 600 car parking spaces at the hotel and I am sorry that you found it difficult to find a parking space on your arrival at the hotel. The hotel can be extremely busy at times as we do have 255 bedrooms and extensive Conference & Banqueting facilities. Unfortunately we had experienced a car break in and you did see the police at the Hotel. I can confirm that this was an isolated incident and following the police investigation, using our CCTV system, the culprit has been identified and arrested.

I was pleased to read that your room was large and comfortable and that enjoyed your stay with us.

Patrick Fitzgerald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

As a family of four, we thoroughly enjoyed our 3night four day stay, which included all breakfasts, evening meals and entertainment. Comfortable/spacious family room, friendly staff, excellent value for money and great atmoshere especially New Years Eve, safe enviroment for our 8yr old. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our family room was ample, we had a double bed and twin beds. Beware 4 floors and old lift not alway...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed for 1 night pre flight which frankly was enough. I thought I was booking into somewhere reasonably quiet which the name suggests. My room was overlooking the entrance on the first floor, good size but a bit worn out and dated but decent enough for the price I paid. What really spoilt it were four things.
First, it was heaving with people, there was a boxing tournament, weddings, parties, hundreds of folk, so noisy downstairs.
Second, the window in my room didn't stop the noise or smoke from below right up to the early hours,
Third, didn't fancy sitting in the italian restaurant on my own so had room service which was overpriced for what it was.
Fourth, no hot water in the morning, rang down and was asked what room I was in and told the boiler had gone out, but that they were trying to relight it, what difference what room I was in!! thank goodness manchester airport's boiler was working. I know these things happen but it was the lasse faire attitude when I spoke to then and checked out, as though it was nothing unusual

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank saddlebags
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with our reception staff, if you had brought these issues to the attention of our Duty Manager any problems could have been immediately rectified and your room changed to ensure you had a relaxing stay.

The Britannia Country House Hotel is a large hotel with 255 bedrooms and extensive Conference & Banqueting facilities and at times can be extremely busy.

Unfortunately there was an issue with the boiler during your stay our maintenance team were working as quickly as they could to repair this fault.

Patrick Fitzgerald,
General Manager.
lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and baby, the night before our flight. We were upgraded free of charge to an executive room when we arrived, which was very spacious.

ROOM
There was no cot in the room, but within 5 minutes of asking a porter arrived at the room with one. The room had a very comfortable bed, freeview TV and tea, coffee and biscuits. There were also two chairs and a little table and a phone next to the bed,

BATHROOM
The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath with a shower above. The bathroom was also very spacious, with a large mirror along one wall. There were also a few free toiletries, but nothing special. Everything was very clean and quite alright for a one night stay.

PARKING
The htel does park & fly deals, where you can leave your car in the hotel car park whilst you go on holiday. I've stayed here loads of times and there are always free spaces in the car park. It's not a secure car park, but my car has always been safe there. The hotel do transfers to the airport that cost £5 return per person. It used to be a bus that came and everyone just got on and went, but now small mini buses or taxis come. The transfer to the airport was a nightmare! About 50 people all waiting at 6am and when the driver from each mini bus called your name you get in that vehicle. Only thing was any name they called didn't match anyone who was waiting!! So after about 20 minutes of chaos they decided to just get anyone in the minibuses, just glad we weren't in a rush to get to the airport. On arrival back from holiday we were told to use the free phone in the terminal to request a transfer, but nobody answered. So irang them on my mobile and within 10 minutes a taxi had arrived to pick us up.

The only negative things about our stay were the lift was very slow and there probably needs to be more lifts in the hotel. Also the poor organisation of the airport transfer. But i would definately stay here again, as it's quite a reasonable price and has comfortable rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I av stayed in many hotels around the world, this is by far the worst. The service is terrible, the receptionists are rude, the rooms are dirty and smell, I stayed in room 6 which wad tiny and very hot, the window opened up into some dark service area, I moved to room 258, where the view was of old dirty mattresses and old toilets just left out to rot! The food is disgusting and overpriced! The beer is flat, there is hardly no phone reception, and the wifi is only available in the bar area, my tv had no picture because room 6 is basically in the basement, the spa area is basically a public gym. Please dnt stay here, trust me you will regret it

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Narns2010

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay. I have looked into your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and can confirm that all of our bedrooms and public areas and cleaned and vacuumed on daily basis by our room attendants and are then checked by our housekeepers to ensure they are correctly prepared to our usual high standards for our guests arrival.

I will address your comments regarding the receptionists with our Reception Manager.

Room 6 is a small standard double room, which was the room type booked, and I was pleased to read that you were given a complimentary upgrade to a larger room when you brought this to our attention.

Our Health Club is open to both hotel guests and private members and can at times become extremely busy.

Patrick Fitzgerald,
General Manager.
Hull, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed at the Country House on the 7th January 2012 it was awful. Only one key worked and it took the other several attempts every time. The basin in the bathroom was cracked and wouldn`t keep water in it. But the very worst thing was the bed it consisted of springs and every time you moved another spring went into you. We ended up sleeping on top of the duvet and spare blancket and putting the bathsheets over us and our coats on top of them. We still have bad backs!

The whole hotel needed updating and refurbishing.

Room Tip: Don`t stay in room 141
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lilian J

I was sorry to read your comments and feel that it is a complete shame that you did not contact our reception to enable us to sort out any issues you experienced immediately as an alternative room could have been arranged for you.

We have magnetic locks and some guests do find swiping the key card difficult, the key has to be fully inserted into the lock and swiped slowly downwards for the lock to open and once this is explained to guests they usually have no further issues.

Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Terrible hotel, unclean and very tired looking. If you get a cheap rate its maybe MAYBE its worth staying here. My view consisted of a pile of old beds and mattresses... great!!! Lobby was very smelly as was our room.

Pros - Cheap

Cons - Feels very cheap

Advice - Stay for one night MAX and take an air freshener