“For £29 a night plus £2 booking fee, you can't go wrong”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Edinburgh
“For £29 a night plus £2 booking fee, you can't go wrong”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I don't remember ever paying so little for a hotel including breakfast, but I decided to give the Britannia Country House Hotel a go. I had meetings the next day in Cheadle and the hotel was only 10-15 minutes drive in traffic so I thought it's only one night.

I was pleasantly surprised, the room was clean, a good size, with a decent sized bathroom with a good shower and I had a good nights sleep. I read the reviews and was a little apprehensive worrying about the lack of sleep, but I slept like a baby and the only thing waking me up was my very loud alarm.

Breakfast was included at the crazy rate and was perfectly acceptable, buffet style and plenty of choice.

The hotel is also less than 10 minutes drive of the Trafford Centre.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do try to offer good value rates to our guests and would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I had pre booked my stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel and Im saddened to have to give it a 2 point. Id of given it 3 but after consideration I thought the experience was fairly poor not average.

To start id prebooked my Hotel AND transfers and paid in FULL. After arriving back from Sharm late at night I rang for the transfer only to find there would be a 30 min wait. This wasn't ideal but I accepted it. When the transfer arrived we were quickly transported to the Hotel where the driver was to collect the "docket" for the transfer.

I presented my booking number and 2 young lads on the checkin desk (who I hope were new as this is the only plausible reason I can find for why it would take 12 minutes to check me in, bearing in mind I was already booked AND paid) The driver eventually (after 5 minutes) got his docket and he left.

After much "faffing" around They printed my room card but after a 6 hour flight I was just wanting my bed. Then I was asked what time I want for my transfer for the morning and then they said how would I like to pay for the transfers tomorrow and the one I had just had!!!

After "politely" reminding them I had already paid the other guy went away and handed me my card.

The room was on 1st floor and a lift was available. The room was very big and I cannot fault the cleanliness or room at all. For once Britannia had got the room right, but this was then sidetracked by the poor service. - What a shame.

I use Britannia allot and Im aware they are cheaper but good customer service costs nothing. Perhaps the two lads on the desk need better training.

Room Tip: Allow time for a VERY slow checkin especially if your arriving back after a long flight.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

I am sorry for the issues you experienced on check in, after a long flight I understand how frustrating this must have been. I have passed your comments on to our nights team and can assure you that if extra training in required it will be arranged.

Our transfer service runs to strict timetable and unfortunately if you miss a transfer time you must then wait for the next one.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I must say that given the price of this Hotel, it is acceptable! The room I was in 242 was compact and a little tired. How ever, everything worked, the water was always hot and the Hotel can not be blamed for other guests?!

I stayed for 3 nights on a budget work trip. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast and carvery ok. All in all you pay for what you get!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David L
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments.

wolverhampton
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Chose this hotel as photos on booking .com made the rooms and hotel overall look lovely. Arrived teatime Friday 28th January, was given rm 38 on the ground floor, as i had reuested de to being disabled and an occasional wheelchair user.Followed directions to room, came across a dodgy steep ramp which was very difficult for my husband to get me up it, i had to be dragged up backwards.We then had to go through a door to a darkish dihgy corridor, the wallpaper was dirty and torn, untill this the public space and reception was lovely. Our room was at the end of the corridor, it took us 5 minuets to get the card to open the door and when it had we were hoping it hadnt,The furniture is very nice but the rooant for a double bedroom is so tiny, it is never meant to be used as a disabled persons room. The bathroom is inaccessable for a wheelchair at all, it is also grotty with very old fittings, with the toilet rool holder next to door over the other side of bathroom.I wanted to go straight to reception and get another room but we were both very tired and we knew how busy reception was. So we settled in and had a lye down after all our travelling. Later that evening before we we went to visit friends, we went for a bite to eat didnt want a big meal which is no good here as no real choice and its a set price of £14.95 each, we wanted a bar snack but they do not provide that, so had to go to pizzeria, butas it wasnt accessable to me due to steps had to sit in fancy main dining room with silver service settings on table for a burger and chips,which did taste quite nice but again very expensive £20 for 2 burgers and 1 bottle beer.When we returned at 13.30am we entered the dingy corrider to be confornted with the smell of pot, and so much noise it was as if rm 35 we think had lots going on in it. Later whilst trying to sleep on an extremley uncomfortable concrete bed we were disturbed by a male trying the door and asking to be let in. My husband then tried to double lock the door but without success as it was broken. When we notified reception of all theses experiances there was little intrest from the duty manager. Will not be visiting what could be a lovely hotel if the beds were comfy and the rooms werent so small and more suited for wheelchair users. Too many groups of young single people .

Room Tip: find somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolandjeff
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was sorry to read your comments and feel that it is a complete shame that you did not contact our reception in person or by telephone immediately, to inform us that you were unhappy with the room that you had been allocated, as an alternative room could have been arranged for you.

We do serve bar snacks at the hotel, these are available from our resident’s bar from 12.00 midday until 5pm, room service is also available daily from 12.00 Midday until 3.00am.

The hotel can be extremely busy at times as we do have 255 bedrooms and extensive Conference & Banqueting facilities.

I am confused by your comments that you were “confronted by the smell of pot” at the hotel, our Night staff do regular security walks throughout the night and if they had encountered this the police would have been called immediately.

Thank you for your constructive criticism; rest assured your comments will be taken on board.

Scarborough
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at the Hotel as part of our weekend National Holiday, a very large Hotel, there was a wedding party in at the time, but this did not hinder us in any way, receiption was good, and soon had us all to our rooms. The lifts are very small one person and one large case but no problem.

The room was large twin room sheets clean and the overall room was of a high standard, plenty of tea coffee and bathroom toiletries etc. corridors a bit on the small side but ok.

Dinner at night was of a very high standard, i would go back just for the evening meal the staff were wonderfull.

Breakfast was very good we had one silly member of staff, which has been dealt with all other staff were again helpfull and curtious. we had real sausages, not these make believe ones, eggs were perfect. and the bacon of a good quality all in all very good Well Done.(p.s. And black pudding)

The car parking was very difficult outside no real set pateren, I think some thought should be given to a more workable system colour coded I.E. red for residents yellow Long stay, blue overnight. put into respective Areas. easer to Monitor Badges could be given out at reciption.

Stay very nice thanks to all staff. Would stay again.

Sorry about spelling had a stroke last March.

Room Tip: If not happy with room see reciption.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights. If you are offered room 6 make sure you turn it down. Barely large enough to fit a double bed, you have to manoeuer to get into the room, and the window looks out into a dark internal passageway/fire escape route. This room should really be used as a store room only not as a bedroom for paying guests.
Having said all that, the £40 price for 2 nights is very good value. Basically you pay for what you get.

• Stayed January 2012
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 February 2012

The room that you were allocated was a standard double room which was the room type booked at £40.00 for two nights is very good value.

Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

got to gates and drove in to my right a car with its door window smashed got parked and went up to hotel found the lobby dirty and staff not very welcoming got our room and went to bed early as our flight was early in morning to florida only to be woken at 1.30 in morning with people running up and down lobby shouting and banging on doors went down stairs to head for airport the place had glasses lying every where (had being a wedding on the night before)we will not be back ever

Room Tip: none just dont go to this hotel never never never
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank andy d

Unfortunately we had experienced a car break in. I can confirm that this was an isolated incident and following the police investigation, using our CCTV system, the culprit has been identified and arrested.