“time for a revamp”

Ranked #89 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Belfast, United Kingdom
“time for a revamp”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

i stayed here on 1st feb for one night on a single occupancy deal, arriving at the airport i rang to get the shuttle bus back.....no were was i ever told that the shuttle bus was nearly a hour wait.... i had to hang around 30mins waiting were i was told to wait, no shuttle bus appeared had to ring the hotel and company twice each, and finally in the cold for a hour, they sent me a private taxi..... check in was smooth, hotel looked nice from outside, was given a broom cupboard for my single bed, i always do my hair check, there were hairs everywhere on the wall, bathroom floors, shower and sink, i had to move rooms, i was then given a twin room with had more hairs (only 3 this time), i thought it would be just easier to stay there and remove them myself. i ate in the Italian dinning room, pizza's were half price but very grumpy waiter, happy hour was on in the bar for a few hours, but i wasn't given the offer because apparently they didn't have the wine on the wine list....typical!!! televisions are as old as the hills, fuzzy then blue then green screens but i just couldn't be bothered moving rooms again.....this hotel is awful, rooms are from the 60s old radiators need changed and good dust is recommended....how can a housekeeping supervisor not see the dust and hairs and sign the rooms off to let guests stay there??

Room Tip: have an open mind to this dowdy hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank emmajane6
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Our Airport transfer service is run to a timetable, this is clearly shown on our website with all of the timings and transfer instructions and I am sorry that you were not aware of this before your arrival at the Airport.

I have discussed the concerns regarding the issues with your room with my Head Housekeeper, whose duty it is to ensure that all rooms are issue free and presented to the highest possible standard and have pointed out that I will not accept guests being disappointed in such a way.

I was pleased to read that when you reported your room had not been correctly cleaned, that our duty manager dealt with this immediately and offered you an alternative room, however I do wish that you had informed our duty manager regarding the issues in the second room as these could have also been rectified immediately to make your stay more enjoyable.

The happy hour drinks are house wine and house spirits only, I am sorry that the wine you wanted was not our house wine. I am sorry that you felt that our Pizzeria waiter was very grumpy.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

My partner and I recently had our Wedding at this hotel and it could have not been a better day. Everything was perfect and went exactly to plan and all the staff were very friendly and efficient. The layout and decor of the function rooms was perfect and the meal and service was excellent - everybody commented on the quality of the food. Myself, my sister, my neice and little great neice stayed in a family room the night before the wedding and had a very nice meal in the pizza restaurant where the staff were very friendly and attentive, especially with my little great neice. The choice of breakfast items cannot be faulted - there was everything you could wish for and the transition the next day between rooms for 'the big day' was seamless. A lot of guests stayed at the hotel the night of the Wedding and they have all commented on the great breakfast and the value for money of the rooms. My husband and I stayed in the Bridal Suite which was very romantic with a four-poster bed. Our day could not have gone better and our whole experience was excellent. I cannot thank the hotel staff enough and would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Diane L
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent wedding at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that both you, your new husband and all of your guests enjoyed your special day, I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of the staff.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in February this year during a business stay. The room rate was extremly low at only £29 per night, which I believe to be very good value but the low price did reflect the standard of room I was given.... you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, the room was very clean and tidy and 100% adequate but there were a few flaws in the room decoration which tarnished my stay, some marks on the walls and carpets mainly, small tv and very limited channel availability. Overall I was satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do try to offer good value rates to our guests and would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

I will pass your comments regarding the decoration in your room to our Head Housekeeper to ensure these issues are resolved.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

antwerp, belgium
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed there on the 7th. January before flying out on the 8th. and the whole experience was excellent and I wish I could have stayed longer. On arrival I was welcomed by the reception staff like a friend and it just got betterI had a drink in the Bar and had dinner in the restaurant
before retiring to my room which was clean and perfectly adequate and I would reccommend it to anybody. The price for the room was very reasonable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cambell
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you felt very welcome and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Country House in the near future.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel last February/March time so i'm a little late with the review but better late than never!! I booked this hotel as i'm a private hire driver and was picking up fellow workers at Manchester Airport the next day! I only booked a standard double room but when we got up to our room we had had been given a top floor four poster bed room with spa bath! I was overly pleased with this as you can imagine! The service was excellent, when we asked about buses into Manchester city centre at Reception we were told exactly where to go and the times of the buses! Can't fault any part of the hotel at all, the staff were great and the location is excellent! The breakfast was nice and again staff were friendly! I would recommend this hotel to anyone whether its for pleasure or for business or as a stop gap before flying off around the world!

Room Tip: Four poster rooms are very spacious!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel to others, I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to our reception staff.

yorkshire
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My Grandson and I spent one night only in this Hotel as we were on a coach trip to the Theatre.My Grandson aged 10 was over the moon with it as soon as we entered the reception area.He has travelled widely with his parents, staying in 5 star hotels around Europe so I was very pleased with his reaction!The twin room was very clean,beds comfortable ,bathroom spotless and we were very happy! The dinner was delicious with a very good choice as was breakfast the next morning.Staff were polite and attentive and we both enjoyed our stay very much So much so my Grandson told his parents that he wanted to go again for his birthday in March!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank YorkshireTriptaker
countryhmanager, General Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2012

I was pleased to read that both you and your grandson enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future..

wales
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Great place to stay over night very handy if you are flying the next day, great service i would recommend this place for anyone who is off on holiday and is leaving the car there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
Etrop Grange
#67 of 118 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!