“Good food saved the day!”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed one night on good deal DBB with wine, for family of 5. Room big enough to accomadate us all. No air con in executive as expected. Room so hot had to sleep with windows open and had the constant noise and smells from the kitchen extractor fans. Awful view onto flat roof, out of high windows. Items found under beds included t-shirt, hairs (not known where from) came out of vents on spa bath. Resturant had plastic tub with dirty water in it to catch drips from ceiling. Needs decorating and new carpets in public areas.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay. I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel to our housekeeper to ensure all areas are correctly prepared to our usual high standards for our guests arrival.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Me and my bf came to Manchester to watch the Olympic football and needed a place to stay at a reasonable cost. I thought as we were travelling so far I'd book an executive room to make the most of it. I was under the impression from the lady on the phone that that included a four poster bed, reasonable size room and a jacuzzi bath. We did have a jacuzzi bath but no 4 poster bed, small room and tiny bathroom. It was clean but considering I paid £68 for this I was not impressed!! I would recommend if looking for a cheap no frills room but that it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay and feel that you did not get what you paid for. Our executive rooms do not all have four poster beds, we do have a limited number of four poster rooms at the hotel, and if possible, guests can be upgraded but this is strictly subject to availability.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here whilst attending a wedding nearby. We booked a single and a double. The single (139) was quite small but reasonably clean. The only thing I would say is that there was a huge chunk missing from the door frame where the chain fastener had been ripped out!

The main problem was with the double (138). It was cramped with too much old fasioned furniture crammed into it. The room is in desperate need of redecoration. These problems were nothing compared to the cleanliness of the toilet/bathroom. The grouting around the bath was covered in mildew, the pipe leading out of the cistern had an inch think accumulation of dirt and grime, and the vent was dripping in dust and dirt.

We mentioned these on checking out and were assured that these would be rectified. However seeing what others have said on here, I shall not hold my breath (or ever return either).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with the rooms that you were allocated on your recent stay with us, I do wish that you had brought these issues to our attention during your stay with us to enable us to rectify them immediately.

I have passed all of your comments on to our head housekeeper.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We have just returned from a 5 day stay here and cannot fault it in any way. The Food was buffet style and there was always a good selection both for breakfast and dinner. Staff were all pleasant although not over friendly.
Bar Prices were a bit OTT but other than that everything was fine. Jacuzzi Bath was lovely.
Hotel in all was ok for 3 star, although some re-decoration would not go amiss.
All in all we had an enjoyable week. Always remember though to shut bathroom door while using Jacuzzi or Shower to avoid setting off the fire alarm .

Room Tip: Were were in Room 167 and apart from a little noise from the Kitchen Fans it was fine for 5 of us...
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We were given tickets to the Olympic football in Manchester and wanted to continue on the low cost theme.

Via Travel Zoo, although I think it is generally available via the Britannia website, I found a fabulous offer at this hotel - 2 nights dinner, bed & breakfast for two people in an executive room with spa bath, use of plus free bottle of wine for £100 !

We arrived mid afternoon and check in was relatively painless. The first problem encountered was the lift was out of order. Luckily, we were only on the first floor so not a huge problem, although we were not offered any assistance with the bags.

The room was a decent size although the only window in the room was extremely small and high up on the wall - no doubt to hide the lovely view of the flat roof, vents etc. The window did open but also let in the constant drone of some sort of extractor - from the kitchens perhaps. There also didn't seem to be any way of controlling air conditioning in the room although it was fine and not too hot.

The bed was extremely firm, to the point of hardness. It didn't stop me sleeping but may be a problem for some.

Everything was clean, except for the dust under the TV which came into sight when we swivelled it so we could see from the seating area!

The hotel provide an ironing room on the 2nd floor but I would have prefered an iron & board in the room.

Bathroom was a good size, clean, with a spa bath with shower over. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. I found that the soap holder filled up with water when using the shower and it was impossible to empty out so soap couldn't be left in it - rather defeating the point really. Bath towels were a good size - I can't stand a skimpy towel, one of my bench marks for a decent hotel !!

Take note of the sign in the bathroom asking you to shut the door when using the bath or shower as it sets off the fire alarm because it does.

It all went off twice on the first night. The first time we thought it was something we'd done although the door was shut but opening it and closing it seemed to stop the noise. That was probably just a coincidence. The second time was definately not us as we were in bed and asleep !! It rang for a while and then stopped again. The reception phone was ignored so I had to get dressed and go down to see what was going on. This is not a good situation. After two false alarms you assume that a third is also a false alarm, wasting time to get to safety if it is in fact a real emergency.

The food was good - dinner was starter of soup or greek salad served at the table, carvery dinner with choice of beef or chicken plus the usual accompaniments. The beef was actually the best I've had in a long time - tasty and tender although the old man said the chicken wasn't fabulous. Plenty of fresh veg but watch out for the serving spoons - boy do they get hot !! I really liked the different breads which were available - the poppy seed loaf was lovely. There seemed to be various gateaux and ice creams for dessert but we were too full to even go and look at it. We claimed the free wine at the restaurant bar - a house white which was OK as house wines go - although we also could have had it from the main bar.

Breakfast was good - real porridge, plenty choice of cereal, various juices, mainly tinned fruit and only one flavour yoghourt. I would have liked to have seen more fresh fruit available . Usual hot choices of bacon, sausage, eggs etc which were all fine. Coffee was good and strong.

Drinks at the bar are fairly pricy - almost £9 for a G&T and a Crabbies but the bar staff were friendly and welcoming.

The hotel have a free phone at reception to book a taxi. We used them to get to Old Trafford and they were on time, car was a bit old but the driver was chatty and we got there fine. I'd asked to book for the return trip and they said to ring when we were ready to be collected. The driver gave me a card with several different numbers, none of which were answered when we called from the ground to be picked up.

In the end, after trying for about 20 minutes, I had to ring the hotel who gave us a number for another company - Station Taxis. They turned up within 20 minutes, nice car, friendly driver AND they were £5 cheaper for the same journey !!

Because of all the messing about we didn't get back to the hotel till 11pm and were too late for dinner - finishes at 9.30, or for something hot from room service - ends at 11. Only the sandwich menu is available after 11. For £5.50 I had beef and horseradish on a focaccia roll served with salad and crisps. Again the beef was great and very good value for money.

This is a busy hotel, with lots of people using it as an overnight stop for the airport. Although the car park was busy we had no problems finding a space. The hotel is convenient for the airport , I believe they have a shuttle service,and easy to get to from the motorways.

I wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again but probably only if we got the same deal.

Room Tip: Not room 171 if you like a view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We have just got home from this two night deal booked through Britannia. It was fantastic. The hotel room was big and airey with a four poster bed, large bathroom and air bath. The food was brilliant and everything was the best. the health suite was good and clean. The staff were super. If I have any criticism it is that the staff in the dining room are too quick to clear plates before you have finished courses. You feel hurried. Also the lift was out of order and we were on the third floor and not as fit as we were when we were in our fifties!!!! Nevertheless I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The exec suites were worth the extra few pounds. If the lifts out ask for a lower floor if you are e...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read that you would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Conveniently located close to Manchester International Airport with an inexpensive shuttle service this hotel provides pleasant accommodation as long as you remember that it is a country hotel and not a business hotel. The rooms were comfortably appointed and we found it easy to get to Manchester by bus and to go walking in the vicinity. There were some drawbacks however. The elevators (lifts) were not working for 2 days while we were there, the coffee machine was not working and the food could have been better. While some of the staff did go out of their way to help, there is no food service late in the evening. We slept well and were not bothered by noise.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.