“First class value.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Seaham harbour
“First class value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

This a smashing hotel which offers good service at an almost unheard of price.
The accommodation was very clean, warm and inviting. The bar prices were excellent considering we were a captive audience.
We spent £49 for one night on a room only basic with 7 nights car parking included. The bus transfer was on time and only £6 return each. (Please remember to tip the driver)
So impressed we have booked in upon our return from holiday.

Many thanks to all the staff.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mick_and_Jules

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed here for one night before a morning flight from Manchester airport. We thought we would get more sleep staying near the airport the night before than we would if we had to get up early and drive to the airport from home. What a mistake! We were kept awake until the early hours by the drunk people next door and their very loud tv! To be fair to the hotel we did complain and they sent someone straight away to ask them to turn it down. But the walls are so paper thin that even after they turned it down their tv still sounded like it was in our room with us! And I have never slept in such an uncomfortable bed - I could feel the springs in the mattress digging in to me!

The room was shabby and in need of decorating. The cleanliness in the room and bathroom was terrible – there were urine splashes on the wall beside the toilet, dust and hairs all over the place, stains on the carpet and blanket and the glasses by the sink still had toothpaste stains in the bottom of them. And on top of this, the overwhelming stench of stale cigarettes in the room made us feel sick!

I know there’s not much you can do about noisy guests but is a clean room with a comfortable bed too much to ask for?

I got the impression that this place is primarily a function facility, which is fine, but I suggest that if you are looking for a quiet, comfortable night’s sleep, don’t stay here!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Greg L
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I have discussed the concerns you raised regarding the cleanliness issues in your room with my head housekeeper and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. We do have an ongoing decorating plan at the hotel.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by the guests in the room next door to you, we do ask our guests to be quiet so they do not disturb other guests however some guests can be inconsiderate.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Lisburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I got a good deal on this hotel for 2 nights last weekend £20 per night and £5 per full breakfast and really enjoyed my stay. I wanted somewhere covenient to Withington and also to get in and out of Manchester centre easily and it was perfect for location. Bus stop for both ways on the road just outside the hotel. I got bus 41A from Withington to the hotel and the bus driver helpfully told me when we were at the stop beside the hotel.
The leisure centre was good and enjoyed a few hours each morning in gym, and pool. I also really enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna which were so nice and hot. There was a £4 charge but well worth it.
Breakfasts both mornings were so good, a good selection and food lovely and hot. Sunday morning was busy, I went to the restaurant about 8.45 and missed the rush as there was a queue when I was coming out at 9.15.
Bedroom was comfortable and all I needed for a single room. TV had no remote control and reception had no spares, but I didn't worry, no big deal! I was in room 39, ground floor, was nice and quiet and had 2 good nights sleep. The hotel was buzzing with activity on Sat night but my room was quiet.
The hotel is older style but very comfortable. Reception and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful - all in all, I had a pleasant time and will definitely go back again. When arriving at the hotel, there's a restaurant and pub at the front on the roadside but the entrance to the hotel is away round the left towards car-park, keep walking and you'll find doors into main reception!

Room Tip: Room 39, single room, on ground floor was comfortable and quiet even tho the hotel was buzzing with...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Went up to Manchester for a friend's birthday and this hotel was near where she lives. Easy to access, there was a bus stop right outside which cost us £3.90 for an all day ticket (lasts til 4am!). After paying £35 for a four person room, we were very pleasantly surprised with the decor and quality of the room. The beds were really comfy and we slept really well. We went out fairly early and stayed out late, so can't comment on the leisure facilities of the hotel or noise at night. We did queue for quite a while to check in at about 5pm. Also there was only two plug sockets in the whole room, nowhere near the beds or mirrors, which was a bit of a pain.

All in all the room was really good value, clean etc and the manager was called Muhammed Ali which caused much merriment!

Room Tip: A four person room costs the same as for a three person room, book it for four and the three of you...
Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be in a good location and good value for money. At times check in can be busy and I am sorry that you had to wait.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Essex U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed over Christmas 2012 in this hotel,certainly the best of the
Britannia Group Hotels that I and my sister- in -law have stayed in.
Courteously booked in with the minimum of fuss, staff helpful and polite, lovely room on 1st floor (as requested)
The food was good, the entertainments manager superb, although we could have done with more variety in the entertainments.
Could not fault the cleanliness of this hotel and the service was excellent throughout our stay. I would definately stay there again.
Well done, Britannia Country House!!!

Room Tip: Request the type and size of room prior to travel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your lovely comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel over the Christmas period.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night, because our flight was the next morning from Manchester airport . From outside it looked nice, but inside is very old fashioned and smells bad.
Check-in is slow and the receptionists are not too friendly.
With 4 children we had to wait about an hour to check-in.
Nobody helped us with the luggages. (Took us 3 turn with the lift to take the luggages to our room.
The room was cold and smelly.It was supposed to be a family room for 2 adults, 3 children and 1 infant and we got 1 double bed and 2 single beds, no cot!!!!!!!
Food...well we went outside to eat....after half an hour walking we found takeaways, no restaurants...
Never go back there again....

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel smelt bad as this is simply not the case, our bedrooms and public areas are cleaned and freshened on a daily basis.

We do not offer a porterage service at the hotel, however if a guest does need help they can ask at our reception desk and assistance will be given.

We have 3 restaurants at the Hotel, we also room service and bar snacks available and I do not know why you had to walk for 30 minutes to find a takeaway.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the 25th oct 2011,as we were flying to cuba the next day..
We booked a double room and 15 nights parking for the amazing price of £56. The building was lovely and the drive into the grounds showed we'd made the right choice...
We spoke to a few people in the bar after we'd checked in, and after having a fabulous meal in the Indian restaurant on the side of the hotel we made our way to the entertainment suite where we sat with some lovely friendly people who were on a coach tour... We played the quiz, bingo and watched the cabaret while having drinks at only £1 each... yes £1...
We retired early as we had to be up early for our flight...We had booked the airport coach each way for £6 per person and it was there on time, picking up other guests at another hotel we wereat the airport within 20 mins at most...
There was unfortunately a delay on our return from cuba so our car was left in the car park an extra day. We were told there was no extra charge as delays cannot be helped..
Finally, this hotel was clean, our room was excellent , the staff were friendly and very helpful and we will reccomend it fully to our friends and family not only as an airport hotel with parking but for other purpose visits to Manchester... We will be back....definately....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel supervisor