“Great value, quiet location. convenient bus service”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I stayed for 8 days, nice rooms... The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Beautiful grounds and overall enjoyable.. Good Brittania
10 mins to airport by shuttle makes it great
1 direct bus to downtown Manchester.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We stayed at the Country House Hotel on the weekend of 18-20 January. We've stayed in other Britannia hotels in Manchester and thought they were reasonable, nothing flash, acceptable and not over-pricey. So we thought we'd try the flagship! Friday night was OK. Saturday was like a louder version of Ibiza. The front of the hotel is basically a smoking hang-out - so if you have a room at the front, you can't have your window open. Not that you would anyway, as the noise grows through then ight. When we were there, there were two parties going on, Tesco Xmas Party (in Jan, I know) and a wedding. By 10.30pm, there were a lot of drunks by the entrance. By 11pm, it got very noisy, and by midnight the party spilled out to the front of the hotel. Basically, the hotel lost control. At 1am, a man in the car park started doing impressions of emergency vehicles, in-between shouting, 'DARREN! DARREN!' with a loudspeaker. This went on for 30mins. You can't ring reception from the bedrooms - you have to ring from your mobile. I complained, obviously, at 1.30am. The loudspeaker was then passed around a few drunks, so that was the night pretty much ruined. And the crowd just got rowdier as the night progressed. Cabs were pulling up every two minutes, and arguments went off left, right and centre, one racist, we noted. The noise died down around 4am. Before my 200-mile drive home the following morning, tired out, I spoke to reception. 'The noise was horrendous last night - is that normal?' The woman on reception just shrugged and said, 'Well... yes.' I sent a letter of complaint to Britannia head office in Altrincham. I received a prompt reply saying Country House Hotel would deal with my letter. They haven't. Ergo, you lost my custom. This hotel needs a total re-think. It's lost in the 1970s - its garden installations fall well below charming. Plastic flowers and a toy furry horse. Oh, and the water in the sink wasn't turned on in the downstairs toilets. Well done, Britannia.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed here on 29/09/2012 for the weekend.

Good side:
A very convenient location for Manchester.
Bad Side:
Unfortunately the hotel has an old look with old carpets which are not too cleanand very old style bathroom with rubber flooring.
I had an accident in room number 280 after taking the shower when i stepped out of the tub i accidentally hit my knee against the shower door which was totally unprotected without the rubber. Normally the shower door glass has a rubber against it but there was none on this occasion and it was exactly at an angle which is likely to come in contact with your hand or leg. Initially before taking the shower i thought it might be plastic as how can a big name hotel like this would have anything so dangerous. The first night we arrived from London and went straight to the wedding. It was on the second morning when i took the shower before checking out.
I bathed in blood and all the bathroom floor and carpet was full with my blood. We tried calling the reception and doctor through the intercom and number on menu card provided but after trying for 5 minutes there was no answer. I placed the towel tightly against my knee and my wife ran downstairs. Only after 10 minutes the gym trainer and receptionist came. Put bandage and took notes of the accident. I even showed the receptionist the fault in the bathroom who was very polite but he did not say anything to rectify it. However, there was no doctor at all and no body gave me the address fro the hospital. They said calling the ambulance will take time that i should drive or take the cab to the hospital.
I checked out and i wrote an email to the hotel management after a week to return my fees. All i got was an email from Jackie King saying she can not see anything wrong with this. Maybe they did place a rubber now. I guess what she would have to say if it was her own child who had this accident and was left with a scar on his knee.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank wrongwayticket
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us in September 2012.

I have investigated fully the mechanics of how you state the injury occurred and the shower screen itself for signs of any sharp edges and I can find nothing that would cause an injury such as you suffered.

When this issue was reported to us a first aider came straight to your room to offer you assistance, you did request a doctor and unfortunately we do not have a doctor on site.

I can confirm that we do take health and safety extremely seriously at the hotel and follow all of the correct procedures at all times.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I thought the hotel was as expected.
Clean, spacious with friendly staff,
the room rate being excellent value.
The breakfast was excellent, and value for money,
served by a very pleasant Spanish waitress.

However, don't stay in room 34!!
It was next to the corridor fire door,
and the constant banging of the door,
and the jolting of a loose room door,
made for a restless night.
I was awoken twice, once at 0445,
and at 0730, by someone knocking at the door,
and trying to speak to me!!

I have no idea what that was all about!!

I did report this to the Reception,
who had no explanation for it.

Room Tip: Don't have room 34, too noisy
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank xTimeTravellerx

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

The Britannia Country House Hotel is a large hotel with 255 bedrooms and at times can be extremely busy as we have guest checking in and out 24 hours per day and I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be of excellent value and the staff pleasant and friendly.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night prior to going to MIA.
We artrved at approx 3pm and there were 2 members of staff working. Despite there being no queue it still took approx 20mins to get our room key.
Our room was on the top floor and despite another review saying the lifts could only get 1 person and one bag baffles me. Both me and my girlfriend and suitcase easily got into the lift so i can only assume they were either quite overweight or american lol!
We were greeted with a nice spacious room with 4 poster bed and nice size bathroom. Everything was clean so we couldnt grumble.
That evening after we'd been out for a meal we took advantage of their happy hour before having an early night due to checking out at 5am the following day.
Checkout was quick and easy and we were given directions to APH carpark which as previously stated was flawless.
Overall we'd recommend it for a quick overnight stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Tyramhall

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Booked as part of a park and fly package with parking at APH nearby, got a really good deal so can't complain about the price, parking with APH was flawless.

On arrival check in was very slow - queued for around 25-30 mins, but once they got an extra person on the front desk queue went down quickly.

First looking at the room it looked really nice, big four poster bed, very spacious room and ensuite with big whirpool bath. Problem on closer inspection was cleanliness, though - the bath when I went to run it had a thick huge scum line around it so I actually had to scrub it twice before I felt comfortable getting in it.

After my bath I was unpacking some clothes and noticed some thing on the floor, I picked it up to discover that it was a huge toenail (honestly about a cm long and 2 cm wide!) - I actually screamed, much to the amusement of my husband!

Last but not least, there was a piece of chewing gum stuck to one of the posts of the bed.

We didn't complain as we were literally in the room about 10 hours before an early morning flight, just to sleep.

The rooms seem like they could be quite nice and are very comfortable, but there is obviously corners being cut on the cleaning.

Room Tip: Choose one without the complimentary toenails and chewing gum ha!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 170,206

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that your room had not been cleaned to our usual high standards, I do wish that you had spoken to out duty manager who would have immediately rectified any issues with cleanliness in your room. Or alternatively offered you an alternative room.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed for two nights at start and end of holiday for convenience to Manchester Airport. Got a great deal booking on line for a family of 3 dinner bed and breakfast (bottle of wine thrown in the deal) and a weeks parking for 60 quid, a total bargain! The parking at the airport alone would have been as much.
Room really comfortable with Jacuzzi bath, staff very friendly and breakfast excellent. Even included airport transfer there and back.
Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book and on line deal
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve W

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I was pleased to read that you would recommend the Britannia Country House Hotel to others.