“Hotel not to stay in if you want some sleep”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #87 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Hotel not to stay in if you want some sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed here for 1 night stay,with parking for Manchester airport, The bedroom was clean, large and spacious, but so noisy. Children running along the corriders this went on until around 10.30, cars taxi's,and coaches pulling into hotel reception until very late evening. Worse
however was the customers who use the smoking area, which is very close to entrance until around 2am. The reception staff member booked us in quickly, but could do with lesson in customer services and charm. The transfer to and from the airport went without a hitch and was good value

Room Tip: Do not accept room on front of hotel near reception
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were disturbed buy noise from other guests. Our smoking area is at the front of the hotel and we do ask guest to be quiet however some guests can be inconsiderate.

As the hotel does offer stay and fly our guests can leave to go to the airport during the night and at times are not as quiet as they could be, we do have notices around the hotel to this effect to try and keep an disturbance to a minimum.

I will pass your comments in relation to your check in to our reception manager to ensure further training is carried out.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay as your feedback is most valuable to ensure that our standards of service and hospitality are monitored and improved upon at all times.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Marbella, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

They say you get what you pay for, well, we moved the hotel and stayed somewhere cheaper and got a 100% better service, and 100% cleaner rooms.
List of things:
-dirty rooms (vodka bottle tops, torn couches, hair, dust and filth)
-filthy reception, so much dust everywhere
-extremely rude little boy on check in, didnt explain anything about the hotel or our room inclusions, snapped back at me about the transfers, just a vile welcome
-work in progress with no sympathy for guests

I have seen a lot of excuses on this site from the hotels management, but there is no excuse for such a terribly run hotel.
I believe they are only getting by on people paying for nites stays before their holidays. No level of service whatever.
I have stayed in cleaner and better serviced bedsits in India and the rest of asia.
AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay in this hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
I am sorry that you decided not to stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I do not understand your comments that the rooms and reception area are dusty and filthy as this is simply not the case, the hotel bedrooms and public areas are cleaned and checked on a daily basis.

I would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel in order to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We booked for the 16th of February as a valentines present due to us both working. We arrived at the hotel and first impressions were good, hotel looked clean and tidy from the outside and the reception and bar area looked very grand and cosy. However when making our way to the room the hallways looked very dated and in need of upgrading.

After finding our room and some time trying to get our door to unlock we were greeted by a small dingy room with a strong smell of damp. Immediately it became apparent the smell was coming from large thick damp patches from the window ( photo attached)

Then turning to my right were tea/coffee stains on the wall ( photo attached)

Walking into the bathroom area we were met by excrement on the toilet seat. ( photo attached)

by this point we left the room straight to reception to show the photos and give our grievance, we were given a full refund but wasted much of the day and petrol as we planned to shop in Manchester in the day and have a relaxing meal and drink at night, instead it was a 45 mile drive home and a takeaway !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

I have spoken to our head housekeeper in relation to this room and she has confirmed that the room had been cleaned and that the marks on the toilet were caused by a leak from the ceiling and was not excrement. Once the matter was brought to our attention the room was taken from our allocation list until the leak could be fixed by our maintenance team.

We do have a decorating programme in place and I am sorry that you felt that the hotel looked dated.

Unfortunately we were unable to offer you an alternative room as the hotel was full on this evening

I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Got a terrific deal, Dinner in new indian restaurant, overnight accom in a lovely room with a spa bath, bottle of wine on arrival and brekkie £59 all in. Couldn't fault the value, but wasn't expecting too much. It was amazing. The Spice restaurant is lovely, service excellent and as it was included in our deal we only had the wine to pay for, £6.95 a bottle...unbeleivable! Then next door is the Spice Bar, drinks so reasonably priced 2 dbl gin and tonics £6. Disco and Karioke on Friday nights...had so much fun. Breakfast was lovely served from 7am untill 10.30 and everything fresh. Thank you for a brill time.....Will Deffo be going again.

Room Tip: Residents bar is pricy but the Spice bar(Pub at front of hotel) is excellent value.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other potential guests to read.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed here on Friday night as I had a very early flight on Saturday morning. Having booked online it was cheap and chips, at £30, and having stayed in hundreds of hotels, I can tell you that whilst The Waldorf this place isn't, it sure represents great value.

The roof was absolutely fine, a nice double bed and a huge bath. The bar was friendly and relaxed. I had a reasonable curry at the restaurant too.

For the price I paid this represented wonderful value for money. I've stayed in hotels three times the price that are no better, and this place has a definite "buzz" about it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor for other potential guests to read.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff friendly and your bedroom clean and comfortable.

Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

stayed for one saturday night,parking was no problem (free),check in was a little slow,due to hotel being very busy,(nice to see hotel doing well),when we were checking in we were told where to go for our evening meals that was included in the price,checkin staff pleasant and helpful.we had four rooms in total and all rooms were very clean,toiletries,tissues and tea/coffee making facilities and lovely fluffy white towels,was pleasantly surprised,as i was not expecting much for the price we paid,All had a lovely meal in the restaurant,again staff very helpful and pleasant,same at breakfast.Nice little bar to sit in,drinks were fine and reasonably priced,beds were comfortable,so we all enjoyed our stay and look forward to going back for a weekend in the near future,i am sure if there is something people are not happy about,they could speak to staff or manager and am sure they would do there best to sort things,many thanks to all at the country house hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel who do work very hard. Unfortunately at times our reception can become very busy our reception staff do try to check in as quickly as possible to try to keep guests wait to a minimum. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your feedback Trip Advisor.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Let me first say this was my 6 and last time, party of 4 staying in 2 rooms ,ready for early morning 10 hr flight , booking in fine rooms fine we then went for evening meal ,i am disabled and have to use a walking stick ,was told at the restaurant only tabels left in the raised area i explained i had a problem with stairs all i got was a shrug i pointed out that any one coming in a wheel chair would have no chance ,why dont you keep some tabels available on the ground floor again just a shrug, we where given a tabel up the stairs i then asked for the wine menue in the meantime my soup was served ,i was given the wine list and chose to order 2 bottels of wine ,to be told we dont serve you sir you have to go to the bar and buy it yourself i pointed out i was disabled and this would cause me problems again just a shrug it says on the menue our staff will only be to happy to help you with your wine ,some help they just stood and watched me struggel with 2 bottels my walking stick and a set of stairs. after this i had a moan at reception to be told we dont serve anyone with wine in our restaruant,then there was a party on all night no sleep at all ,this will be my last time there,i will take my disability and money some where else who may just care a littel .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank DAVE9146
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that we had no ground floor tables available in our restaurant when you wanted to dine, and that our restaurant staff were not as helpful as they could have been. The suggestion you offered for keeping a couple of tables free on the ground floor will now be put into practice. I have had a meeting with my restaurant manager and Restaurant staff as all of the issues you had should have been dealt with immediately and professionally and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience or upset that this has caused.