“Pretty Good stay”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #90 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here on route to our holiday in Tunisia.
So for 1 night b+b a bottle of wine, transfers to and from the airport and 7 days parking the £50 we paid was an absolute bargin.
Yes its not a 5 or even 4* hotel but as many people have said on here you get what you pay for!
That said our room was lovely the staff were freindly and like I said for the price!!! what more can you ask for.
We didnt have dinner in the hotel but found a fantasic restaurant about 5 minutes away called Alberts, I can really recomend this place.
Breakfast was ok as we were really early but Ive a feeling it might turn into a rugby scrum at peak times.
If your looking for somewhere to stay before or after a Manchester flight give it a go!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor following your recent stay. We do offer fantastic value for money with our stay and fly deals and transfer service and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,720)

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Considering it costs upwards of £50 for 14 nights parking near Manchester airport and this accomodation cost us £76 for one night, 14 nights parking and transfers its almost a no - brainer. Like every hotel in the group I have found the staff friendly, locations convenient, prices very competitive, cheap bar and ideally in need of a multi million pound revamp - which would push the prices up. So instead of winging about one of one of the lifts being out of order, no view from your room etc focus on the positives, this isn't a " country house" but it is a convenient place to stop over for the airport. I have scored the rooms in the context of the prices for a airport hotel and not a holiday destination.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We are located very close to Manchester Airport which makes this hotel very popular with guests who wish to leave their car and stay the night before they go on holiday and we do offer very competitive prices.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Awful awful awful. Only restaurant on site was an italian, not very good when italian food contains all the sort of ingrediants one of our party is unable to eat. vending machine out of order. cash point out of order. there was a wedding on the night we stayed and we were locates in a room above the entrance. there were people out there shouting, drinking, swearing, dropping glasses and bottles till the early hours of the morning. we had almost no sleep. which is not good when we had to be up for an early night. for a stay over before a flight DO NOT STAY HERE.

1  Thank nnkkcc

I am sorry that you feel that you would not like to stay with us again.

We have two restaurants at the Hotel a carvery restaurant which has a choice of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes and is open daily from 6.00pm – 9.30pm we also have a pizzeria restaurant which serves pizzas pastas, steaks, jacket potatoes etc, this restaurant is open from 5.00pm – 11.00pm. we also have a Coffee shop in our main bar area which serves sandwiches and snacks and our room service menu offers a variety of different items and I am sorry that one of your party was unable to eat.

The Britannia Country House Hotel has 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and Banqueting facilities and at times can be extremely busy and I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other guests at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I booked this hotel via booking.com, because it had gym and pool facilities. It's name "country house" conjures images of a nice period hotel. It's couldn't be further from the truth. From the rude abrupt colleague on reception, to the borstal like room and nightclub beer on carpet smell of the foyer this place is appalling. It's not fit for purpose in my opinion. I checked in, despite the hostility and disengagement of the colleague at reception, then walked to my room past the bar and slot machines, past the twin pots catching the dripping ceiling water. My room was about 8ft square, mouldy, badly decorated and reminiscent of a 70's B&B. I was so uncomfortable and felt so let down, I went online and booked a hotel nearby and simply left. I could not have slept in the bed or eaten in the hotel. I have stayed in thousands of premier inn rooms, this place is nowhere near their comfort, space and facilities. My advice is unless you're desperate, look elsewhere.

2  Thank TJRyan
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

I was disturbed to read your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you felt that your room was mouldy badly decorated.

Unfortunately we were experiencing very heavy rainfall and the roof did develop a leak, our maintenance team were working as quickly as they could to repair this.

I am sorry that you decided to check our and did not speak to our reception staff as an alternative room could have been given to you, to ensure you had an enjoyable stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2013

First of all must say hotel looks good and nice entrance.one night stay for the price was reasonable. But considering it states that you are going to get things in your room and then don't is pretty disgusting!!! It stated we would have a bath,hairdryer,trouser press and choice of heating options. Our room contained none of these. Went to reception as room was freezing cold and i get a bad chest with sudden temperatures,told them the heating wasn't working and he didn't have a care in the world. Told us engineer would be out to fix it but didn't know when, Didn't come on throughout our stay!! Pretty ridiculous how it is a maze to find your room sending you up and down flights of stairs with door numbers and then get all the way to the top to come back down considering HORRIBLE LOOKING LIFT WAS BROKE! Had to help an older couple down stair with their heavy suitcases. Ridiculously there was NO IRON in rooms except you had to walk miles across the hotel through reception and bar with your clothes in your hand to the HOT AND DATED ironing ROOM. Loads full of coaches arriving with many people crowding around. Doors slamming all night and early morning. RIDICULOUS HOW THE ROOM CLEANER IS KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR WAKING YOU UP BEFORE 8AM IN TGE MORNING!!!!! NO RESPECT AND DIRTY TOWELS AND BEDDING FLUNG EVERYWHERE!VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE DIDNT ASK IF OUR STAY WAS OK OR WE WAS SATISFIED UPON CHECKOUT. RUDE

2  Thank haystar19211

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our heating is on a timer and comes on in the morning and in the evening and I am sorry that you felt that your room was cold.

Not all of our bedrooms have baths, some have showers as some of our guests do prefer just to have a shower.

There are hairdryers in each room however we do not provide an iron in each room, we do have 2 ironing rooms at the hotel for guests to use.

I am sorry that you were woken by your room attendant.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2013

The food is second to none, its really nice however its a very transient hotel with it being an airport drop off/pick up hotel. We were situated above the main door so probably experienced more noise than normal. However we were also very cold and were told that it was summer (early May) and the heating had been turned off, ill fitting windows made the room very cold, we had to heat it up with the hairdryer. I spotted a stain on the duvet under the cover which looked like a large amount of blood which was very off putting but it was in the middle of the duvet so I grinned and bore with it. I went to put my hand bag on the floor of the restaurant and decided against it because of all the mess already there and we were the first in for the evening meal!!!!! There seemed no control over guests running ransack through the corridors at four in the morning, shrieking and knocking on doors, which went on for over an hour despite asking them to be quiet. Delivery men were also noisy and had no respect for the occupants in the rooms also singing and banging with their vans again between 4 and 5 in the morning. Car alarms were going off. There was a panel ajar in the bathroom and cobwebs. But we did enjoy the food!!!

Room Tip: Not sure, there were a lot of booked in at the same time and several of us had the same problems and...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Pam666
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am so sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other guests at the hotel. We have a variety of guests that stay with us from coach parties to guests that stay before they fly out on holiday and unfortunately at times the hotel can be extremely busy with guests leaving to go to the airport and I do understand how frustrating this would have been as some guests can be inconsiderate.

Our heating system is on a timer and comes on early in the morning and also back on in the evening. I am sorry that you were told that you that the heating had been switched off as this is incorrect.

I am sorry that your bedding was stained and I have passed your comments on to our head housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

Should you wish to stay with us again please contact us before your arrival and I will ensure that you are allocated a room in a different area of the hotel to ensure a more relaxing stay.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Cannot deny the excellent value for money on this deal. However, do not expect a modern hotel, it is a little tired in decor but on the whole ok. Being upgraded to an executive room made a good difference for us both. Bar Staff and Reception staff were friendly, efficient and responsive. The restaurant was ok but be early for breakfast. When they say the finish at 10:30, they mean they finish at 10:30. At this point you will need to compete with the staff for any breakfast or waiting staff assistance as they then descend upon the left overs and sit down to their breakfast. On the second morning we found the restaurant staff member who could provide a warm welcoming smile. This particular member of staff confirmed that the hotel of this size and experience do not offer decaf coffee!!

I can't give anymore than an average rating - some staff training needs to be done and a good lick of paint and review of the decor throughout.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to an executive room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be friendly and efficient.

Hotel staff should not be in the restaurant during breakfast service and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention to enable me to deal with the staff involved. Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.