“It does the job at a low price.”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #87 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Lymington, United Kingdom
“It does the job at a low price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Whatever reviewers say about this place it does a job by providing reasonable overnight accommodation with meals and drinks with car parking at a very low price. I don't know where you can match it elsewhere in Manchester. Yes, it has flaws and if I had to pay twice the price that I did pay then I would be twice as critical. My wife and I had DB&B deal for two nights for £116. Drinks were on top after one 'inclusive' bottle of wine and another that was 'complimentary'!! The breakfast buffet was fine - fruit, yogurt, good bacon, excellent sausages, good coffee. The dinner buffet comprised good basic ingredients even though choice was very limited and much of it had been kept hot for far too long. Most of the staff that I met in the bar and restaurant - Robin, Sean, Susan and others were extremely pleasant - but the guy who checked us in needs some training in customer relations. As for state of cleanliness, our room could have done with a deep clean but it wasn't what I would call dirty. The hotel itself is spacious and must have been very grand in it's earlier days. It will never become your holiday hotel and you'll have a little grumble when you stay, But all in all it will give you good value if you keep your expectations in line with what it is - a basic standard hotel for the budget traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel we do try to offer good value for money to all of our guests and I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
Lymington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The car park is very full at all times and a bit haphazard to find a place.
Reception is very basic with no greeting and hardly a welcoming smile but heyho, this was a deal and we're just glad to arrive after such a long motorway journey from the south coast.
Our room, 485, was as far away as it could be but large and had all the basics, it wasn't very clean with a cute little ball of fluff by the mirror in the bathroom. Why not put out a bath mat and save the notice about not slipping on a wet floor?
I'd forgotten what 'boinging' bed springs sounded like, so thanks for that! The heating didn't work and the spare blanket had been well used!
The dining room contained more wrought iron railings than Kew Gardens and was a bit dark and dated. There was a reasonable range of food at the buffet, much better on Saturday than Friday and had enough for our veggie family members.
There was a large reunion going on during our visit and I think that as long as these parties keep coming this place won't feel the need to improve, some people we met have been coming for 20 years, they don't think much of the place but want to see their old friends. It also seems to cater for airport transfers and stays.
It suited us as it was cheap and some bits were cheerful, the restaurant managers that we came across more than made up for their very sullen colleagues on reception, but I think that there must be lots of other places that I could stay with doing a bit more homework in such a large and vibrant place as Manchester, so I won't be going back to see if the window safety catch has been fixed or whether the reception staff have been on a course to wish visitors a safe journey home and hope they return; we won't!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We came to this hotel with good expectations as the outside looked very welcoming in a nice location. As we arrived, we could not find a parking space, and felt that even though they do a stay and fly service, that guests to the hotel that weren't flying should get priority. We only stayed one night but felt that was enough as the beds were uncomfortable, there were massive stains on the walls. The breakfast service was good, and the room was a decent size, but overall the whole place just seemed very tired

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have a large car park with over 600 spaces and at times can be busy and I am sorry that you had difficulties finding a space to park your car.

I am sorry that you felt the bed in your room was uncomfortable and that the hotel was tired. It is always good to receive constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Rotherham, South Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

First of all, had to drive round the car park for over 30 minutes to find a space to park the car, had to squeeze it in a tiny space, in shrubbery and leave it for 15 nights! Not a good start! The double room was small, the bed was small and the shower was tiny! The TV was so old and small, but it didn't really matter as it was on a piece of furniture that was lower than the bed so you couldn't see it to watch it! On the plus side, the room and bathroom were relatively clean! We didn't use the pool so can not comment other than to make other guests aware that you have to pay extra to use it. We were given a room on the top floor but the lift only takes 1 person and 1 bag at a time! A nightmare for a stopover before or after a flight. The worst thing is how loud the other guests are! And no attempt is made by staff to quieten them down. We were woken up all night long by shouting and banging. And as we checked out at 03.30 there were guests in reception that were drunk, shouting and swearing and no one told them to to calm it down! Maybe the hotel would benefit from having security on at night! There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms either! Poor for the price and a supposed 3* hotel! Transfer to the airport was on time although on the way back we were collected in a taxi as the bus had broken down, however, we still had to wait for the bus collection time before they sent the taxi!

Room Tip: This hotel is better than its sister hotel The Britannia Airport Hotel- stayed there last year, Yuk!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Some of our standard rooms are small however it is possible to upgrade to a larger, executive room at reception for a small fee, I was pleased to read that you were happy with the cleanliness of your bedroom and bathroom.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other guests, we do ask guests to be quiet so as not to disturb others but some guests can be inconsiderate.

We do not have WIFI in our bedrooms, it is available in our reception and residents bar area.

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

stayed here the night before flying for my holiday the location was nice and relaxing where i could relax and start my holiday (not having to drive to the airport) taxi drop off and a very quick pickup on returning to Manchester fantastic value for money

Room Tip: all good rooms (not hilton)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Britannia Country House Hotel for your stay. I was pleased to read you found your stay and transfer package good value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Country House in the near future.

Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

After reading the awful reviews on here we were a little apprehensive but i know people like to moan...all I can say is some people must of been at a different hotel!!
We stayed yesterday, no issues with parking; yes there are lots of cars but its a huge plot. We checked in at 2, reception area is lovely, next to spa and residents bar. Staff were polite and check in was quick! We were given room 120 which was absolutely fine but only had shower so I asked for a different room and was given one:192 which again was brilliant with large bath and just above reception area. Yes some decor could do with tidying up in some parts but I like the old charm of the building. The rooms have everything you could need!
We used the spa area which is compact but has pool, gym, steam room etc, again staff were friendly.I would of liked to used the beauty/hair treatments but it was closed. Its only £4 a session or £10 for week.
We had a drink and snack in small residents bar; staff lovely again. Our excellent deal included a 3 course dinner in the large dining hall, which also has an adjoining pizza restaurant. No ques, we had salads and soup to start, choice of hand carved beef, chicken in pepercorn sauce, fishcakes and various accompaments, various cakes and icecream to finish. plus a jug of water and free bottle of wine. Again ALL staff were courteous and the food was very tasty.
We then went through to entertainment area which is mainly for coach parties to find the bar served glasses of wine and beer for only £1. Most guests were older than us but we got involved in the quiz, bingo and free song/dance acts which were cheesy fun! Only improvement could be the toilets there...need a bit more attention to cleanliness but as the area used to be a nightclub called Fridays i can understand why these ones were more basic than the rest of hotel.

Had a great sleep, no noise at all! Is air con in room and we liked the decor...the dark wood furniture gives it character. Breakfast was smooth service again and loads of choice. We had an excellent stay and for£55 for everything we can't believe what a good deal we got. I honestly do not understand the vile reviews this hotel gets, I can only presume people are deluded or TROLLS. Read my other reviews, I give honest and detailed accounts. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

The hotel is non smoking with smoking areas outside so how can it possibly smell of smoke?

If you are really unhappy with your room, ask politely at reception who I am sure will do their best to move you.

Every single member of staf we spoke to were friendly and professional.

we left a feedback form to management letting them know we had a wonderful stay. Obviously people are entitled to their own opinion but this hotel does not deserve the awful reviews.

• Stayed October 2013
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2013

It is always lovely when a guest that has read trip advisor reviews decides to come and stay with us to make up their own mind, I can see from your review that you did this and had a fantastic stay with us.

I do understand that some guests do have issues during their stay and we do our best to rectify this as soon as any issues are brought to our attention, however I do wish that more guests such as yourself that enjoyed their stay with us would write a review about their stay.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stay for one night with my two young children ( age 5 and 7). Booked online with a great deal of dinner, bed and breakfast and a free bottle of wine for an amazing price.
We had a triple room with three good sized single beds.
It is true the hotel is a little shabby in places, but I had read the reviews and went with those expectations.
The kids loved the pool and we spent a long time there ( you do need to pay extra, it was £8 for the three of us).
The dinner and breakfast were buffet style with a good choice, my kids are a little fussy but we manged with no problems.

If I needed to be in this area again I would look to stay here, but I would look for the deals.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor for other potential guests to read.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.