“David Urquhart Coach tour”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Arrived at hotel about 17.30 on Mon.28th.Oct. and was greeted warmly by the staff on duty.Our room was very spacious and very clean with plenty hot water to bath or shower in.When we went for our meal we were met by a member of staff who showed us to our table,the meals are buffet style and there is a varied menu with something for everyone I would think.Entertainment at night was good and the prices of the drinks were very,very good.Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would have no qualms about recommending it to anyone.We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed every single minute.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank davno
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel to others, I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at this hotel both on the way to the airport and for a night when arriving back in the uk as it was a long drive from/to Scotland. The first day we arrived check in was very slow with them asking me to fill in forms with my details (details they already should have from my booking!!). Why not have these forms pre printed and waiting for just a signature, it's just creating extra work for staff and longer waits at check in.
Food was a bit hit and miss and it's not very obvious that the 2 restaurants are actually in 1 room?!
The rooms however were great, comfy beds and couldn't fault them.
HOWEVER, on our returning trip we never arrived at the hotel until after 2am and the rooms we were given were right above the restaurants and had paper thin walls (I could here my friends turn in their bed and that's not a joke or an exaggeration!!), then come 7am doors were constantly being banged below us and to top it all off the cleaner was knocking on our door at 9am to ask if she could clean!!!
That 2nd night out all of us off ever wanting to stay here again and it's a shame because it does have potential!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rossmackay7

It is hotel policy for guests to complete their registration card on arrival, if a guest has booked with a 3rd party then all booking information is confidential and not passed onto the hotel by the 3rd party agent therefore guests must complete a registration card with their full address telephone number and car registration details.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with your room and found the beds to be comfortable.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by our cleaning staff, I have passed your comments on to my head housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Beware when you book at this hotel.. Even though your booking is confirmed, they will take it upon themselves to move you to a different hotel which is miles away !!! . This happened to three other people in the 30 minutes that we stood in reception. We had a confirmed booking for this hotel on Saturday 26th October. We arrived in reception waited for 15 minutes to book in. Then we're told that the hotel was full so they had moved us to the Britannia Stockport. The Stockport hotel being over half an hour away from the city centre, we had planned to meet friends for dinner that evening, this was cancelled due to our evening being completely disrupted. Staff we're very unhelpful, they couldn't give a toss about the inconvenience they had caused. The hotel we were moved to was dirty, tatty, noisy, smelly, uncomfortable and half the price of the original hotel we had booked into. I have written to the manager to report my disappointment , all they said was thanks for letting us know, and offered a reduced stay for our next Britannia booking... joke after this episode and after reading all other negative feed back on Trip Advisor I would never stay with this hotel chain again !!!
I will be taking this further !!!!!
AGAIN AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!!

Room Tip: DO not stay at the Britannia Country House or Britannia Stockport... BOTH A SHAM !!!!!! Faulty Towe...
1  Thank Jules19oxford

I am sincerely sorry that you were unhappy about being out booked to the Britannia Hotel Stockport which is 8 miles away from the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I can confirm that you were transferred to our Stockport hotel by complimentary taxi. Your check in time at Stockport was 19.32pm. As a gesture of goodwill and to ensure that you did not miss your meal with your friends a complimentary taxi was provided to take you into Manchester city centre and back to the Britannia Stockport on your return.

I can assure both management and staff at the Country House Hotel do care about our guests and I sent a letter of apology to you on the 30th October, in which I also offered you a reduced rate on your next stay as a further gesture of goodwill.

Once again I offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We managed to get a voucher for this hotel that gave us two weeks parking and airport transfers to Manchester airport. The usual cost would be £127 but we managed to pay only £99 using Groupon. For this you get two weeks parking , and evening meal, a double room and a full English breakfast. We arrived at 1400 and we were very quickly checked in to our room. The room was medium sized and spotlessly clean. We went down to the bar to get some lunch, this consisted of a beer and a sandwich each, very good value at £9,50. Dinner was served from six until nine, we went down at about eight. Although the car park is very full, this did not transfer to the dining area, we were seated quickly and the atmosphere was convivial, dinner was of the carvery type and was very well presented and quite tasty., included. In the price is a starter main and a desert and a bottle of wine. We ate and retired early due to the fact that we had to be at the airport by 9'clock. Breakfast is again of the buffet style and presented very well. The bus was on time and the driver was very courteous. If I had to be very picky, my only gripe would be that the rooms were too warm. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel, both on price and service. Surely a better alternative to the taxi or plain old airport parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt the package you booked was value for money and you would recommend the hotel to others.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

stayed here for just 1 night, went to see robert plant at o2 apollo, £15 taxi fair to gig, we stayed in room 102 small double but clean and tidy, may be a bit dated but for 1 night who cares, we stayed on a special offer £67 for 1 double room, diner, breakfast, and a free bottle of wine "BARGAIN" also hotel had happy hour in the bar, excellent meals both for diner and breakfast help yourself all you can eat, also if you want you can pay extra and eat in the stuffed pizza rest, staff were all very help full, the front desk was always busy only 2 staff on at the time we were there so a short wait may be required but once there we were dealt with very politly and promptly, overall we would stay here again no problem

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel the night before and night after our holiday due to flight times from Manchester airport. The first stay was ok.... when first entering the room it looked nice, big but dated.. on further inspection it was very shabby. The bucket chairs looked like they had been left outside as they were covered in water stains and mould. The curtains were hanging off and there were stains everywhere. Coming back from our holiday were arrived around midnight on the Saturday to a wedding in full swing (which wasn't a problem in itself). Reception told us that the hotel was fully booked and no rooms were available..... only to then say they were "joking" and thay had saved us one... needless to say at midnight with a 6yr old in tow this wasn't very funny. When arriving at our room (285) once again it was spacious but very scruffy... wall paper hanging off due to damp and most funiture damanged and worn. We realised quite quickly that we were next to the lift as everytime this went up or down it sounded like it was coming through the wall (even ear plugs could not cut out the noise) we rang reception to see if there was any chance to be moved to be told again the hotel was fully booked and we should be "grateful" that the saved us the room as even though we had booked they could have given this to someone else. Needless to say we had hardly any sleep with the noise from the lift as it constantly went up and down all night and left as early as possible the next morning (if it hadn't been a 3hr drive home we would not have even stayed) maybe another room would have been better but it was the unhelfulness and attitude of the staff that really let this hotel down.

Room Tip: If possible do not accept room 285 or any others close to the lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jakka_uk

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the lift during your stay with us.

You have stated in your email that you sent to me that you had no issue with the room that you were allocated other than you could hear the lift during the night, and that you were unhappy with the member of staff that checked you in. I do not understand your comments regarding the room being scruffy with peeling wallpaper and damp with damaged and worn furniture as this is simply not the case.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

we booked a night at the hotel 25th oct 2013 with
taxi service to and from the airport leaving our
car parked up.The hotel was ok we had a meal for two
£30 we both enjoyed the food.
The big problem for us was the WYTHENSHAWE CLUB CARS taxi service. On our return I phoned them as instructed it was 1.17pm the girl told me we had 5mins to get to the taxi in
Tower rd but if we missed it next one was was 2pm so we struggled with suitcases to get there
we are both oaps got to the cab only to be told another one would be along any minute off he went.
I phoned them again to clarify when we would be picked up reply was 1.55pm not enough time for a cup of tea we were parched so we waited at the pickup point in tower rd
again nothing came to pick us up
At 2.10pm phoned again was told we missed it despite standing at the designated pickup point we were then told the next one was 2.45pm.
By this time we were fed up being told lies from
this mob enough is enough we ended up paying £17 for a taxi back to the hotel. The only way we would use the service again would be with a professional cab service .In total the night at the hotel cost us
£66 for room £30 for meal £12 for taxi plus £17 for
return taxi total £125 feel sure for that amount
we could do better without the hassle from a poorly run taxi service

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your airport transfers and I have passed your comments on to Club Cars to look into to ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused and thank you for bringing this matter to my attention