“new year.”

Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
carlisle
“new year.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

arrived 30 dec with Caledonian travel,for a4 day festive break, our first impressions were how stunning the reception was, greeted by smiling staff who took care of all our coach luggage, and left it outside our room, room was good with controlled heating, it did look a little tired but not a problem, although 4 coach parties were staying along with other guests it was not a problem, the staff were very well organised, all credit to the lot of them, nothing was ever a problem, the food right through was excellent, with a good choice of menu,the other factor was the price of drink which was more than reasonable .all in all thank you country house from my wife and I for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: if you have any disabilities email the hotel before you travel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Sitting in our family room now writing this review.....we came here for a last minute break away with the 2 children and as most other family rooms were booked in our usual Manchester hotels though we would give this a try. First point to make yes this hotel is run down and needs updating but it is not as bad as people are making out. We stayed in room 367 which is a quiet room with a double and 2 singles and a jacuzzi bath......yes not the best room I've stayed In but for what we paid perfectly fine. We didn't eat here so can't comment on that but the gentleman on reception was really friendly.....he was on his own checking people in and did a great job. The staff were lovely and a credit to the Britannia chain. Please ignore all the bad reviews like I said needs updating but good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 367 was a family room very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Siany23
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that the hotel is run down, we do have an ongoing decorating / refurbishment programme, but with 255 bedrooms public areas and extensive conference and banqueting facilities this can take some time.

I was pleased to read that you thought the hotel was good value for money and the staff were friendly. I do hope that you return to stay with us again.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Some people on here are so critical, I stay at this hotel for 3 days on the twixmas break deal the room I received was clean and tidy for the £90 I payed and cleaned everyday it had a newly fitted bathroom with a powerful hot shower.

The hotel itself was clean and tidy and the food excellent for the money in jennys restaurant, it was hot and varied day to day mostly roast dinners turkey,beef and chicken etc.

Entertainment was ok could of been a few more acts but there was nightly bingo and a quiz. The hotel pool was clean and great but not included in the price of the trip.

Overall it was a great stay and would go again, Some of the reviews on here would put you off but its not 5 star luxury but a lovely hotel for a nice little get away with excellent value!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Colne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Reading some of the reviews you would think twice about booking the hotel and on arrival it seemed the case as we arrived just before check in time of 2pm, only to be informed no rooms ready for at least 20mins - I did return to the reception after about 10mins and the receptionist quickly sorted us out with a room and all the info we needed for our 3 night stay between Christmas and new year. The room was of a good size and was serviced well, it had everything one requires which was replenished daily. As we had booked dinner and breakfast on each day the restaurant was key to how good our stay would be and apart from it getting warm you could not fault the food with plenty of choice, staff were friendly, attentive and worked hard in a very busy place, going after 8pm is quieter and we left breakfast until 9am and found it easier to get to all self service buffet. We used the bar which was cheap and the spa which cost £4 to use and could not fault either- the hotel communal areas do get rather warm and some of the decor and furniture requires upgrading it did not spoil a good stay.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms very spacious and very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Our check in time is from 2.00pm and I am sorry you had to wait for your room. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

derbys
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a three night break between Christmas and new year, it was just what we needed. After reading some of the reviews on here I was a little scared.....
We had a executive room that was large clean and lovely large bath. All the staff were friendly and attentive, food at the hotel was lovely in Jenny's restaurant. Drinks was very cheap I really could not complain about anything. I must say a special thank you to Adrian in the restaurant he really looked after us for the whole of our stay. They did put entertainment on the the break which was good. Overall it was great. I must say the spa was the best one I've been in at any Britannia Hotel. Don't take too much notice of all the bad reviews on here, it's worth every penny.. Thanks for making our break enjoyable...

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff whom I am sure will be delighted to read them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Blackpool
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here overnight on a Wednesday night in December before flying out to Jamaica in the morning. My first impression on driving in through the gate was how nice it looked. The entrance foyer was really charming and the Chrismas tree looked stunning setting a really festive scene. We chcked in at 20: 30 and this was quick and efficient. We informed the rececptionist that we had a meal booked as part of our package and was told that was fine and thar it didn't close until 21:30. We dropped our bags of in our room and went straight to the dinning room where we qued behind a family going into what i think was an italian dinning area. The manager who was bright and cheery when dealing with the family in front of us suddenly changed when i mentioned we had a meal booked. It was 20:45 & i swear his first words to me were your going to have to be quick we
are closing in 10 mins. He pointed towards a seating area and didn't even show us to our table. No explanation as to how dinning would work. It turned out it was a carvery buffett. We got some soup and had to ask for spoons.All staff were busy in a vitualy empty place packing up and talking wuth each other. I had to ask the couple on the next table if i could have his bread roll as he was clearly on his dessert. No attempt was made to find out if everything was ok or if we wanted a drink. Not one member of staff approached us during the meal. Having finished our soup we got up and headed to the servery where the carvery was kept this looked very tired and looked like it had been out under the heating lamps for far to long. We struggled to find something that was edible and was rushed into making a selection by the chef? Who proceeded to remove dishes while we had nearly empty plates. It was now 21:00 and we were feeling extremly unwelcome. I have never ever seen such bad manners from any staff they were a disgrace to the hotel. We couldn't have a dessert because they had taken them away by 21:10. I thought about complaining to the manager but thought whats the point he set the standard the moment we entered. We left the restaurant with soup dishes still on our table uncleared and with the staff still talking to each other and preparing for what i presume was breakfast. No one asked if everything was ok no one checked to see if we needed to pay. We may as well have not existed. Congradulations Britania on getting my vote as the worst restaurant that i have ever been in. I have not got one good word to say about it or the staff.

On returning to our room we found a dingy dirty old fashioned bedroom that had seen better days.
We were only staying overnight so decided to go to the bar and spend the rest of the evening there.
The bar was busy but ok service was quick friendly and efficient.

We were picked up in the morning by a minibus and delivered to our terminal.....no problem.

On our return however we were left standing at the airport in the cold for what seemed like ever. The minibus broke down and we had to wait for a replacement to come out. When it did the driver was moaning constantly about the this being the 3rd breakdown that morning and how heavy the luggage was. Myself and another passenger proceeded to get of the bus and carry themajority of the luggage to the replacement van to speed up the process. Then it turns out the van isn't big enough......s ometimes you just have to laugh!!!!. The luggage was piled inside the minibus and on our laps.

Overall a terrible service by Brittania and your transport......Never ever again!

4 Thank PaulD61
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry for the standard of customer service you received in our restaurant I do understand how frustrating this would have been. I do wish that you had spoken to the restaurant supervisor or duty manager at the time of your stay as this could have been rectified immediately. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

hi we stayed 2 nights at this hotel,we were a party of 8.Four couples,we were all pleased with our rooms all nice and clean.Food was good,entertainment was ok.Swimming pool, sauna, gym all ok. We all enjoyed our stay at this hotel.Only one point to make if you play bingo the payout is very poor ,in fact it wasatotal rip off,i suggest the managment take alook at this,when you pay good money to play ,you should pay good money out,it should be 75 per cent pay out,on the night we played pay out was an insult.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
I was pleased to read that you found your stay to be enjoyable, although you were unhappy with the prize money for bingo. Thank you for your constructive criticism, rest assured your comments will be taken on board.