“Very good for price”

Ranked #90 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
“Very good for price”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed we on coach
holiday. Booking in was efficient and friendly. I agree with some of the other comments about the rooms -they do need some updating such as new tvs. The food and servi
ce were really
good. We would recommend the hotel as it is very good value for the amount we paid.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Helenc111uk
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
North of England
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel is fair for the price, but basic and dated. I booked one night room only and a week’s parking with Holiday Extras. The idea being I could stay the night refreshed for my airport transfer to Manchester the following morning. Checking in was fast and efficient. There is free wi-fi. Just ask the reception staff for the password.

Walking into this hotel was a bit like entering a time warp from the 80’s. I was given a single loft type room with tea and coffee making facilities. The room was acceptable for a one-night stay, but very dated with an old portable TV in the corner. The bathroom was also very dated. I also had an unexpected guest – a ladybird - which I found in my bedding before retiring for the night. I don’t have any qualms about that. I’ve since read that the UK is under invasion by these brightly colourful friends. Sleep quality was good with a double bed.

I was surprised to find both eateries on the ground floor (a standard restaurant offering a buffet type dinner and an Italian outfit) virtually empty on my Saturday night stay. The bar is also on the ground floor next to reception. The staff were efficient and friendly, but unfortunately on the night I stayed there was a wedding and lots of unruly kids running around the bar area. When I returned later that night after the wedding reception was over it was quite a relaxing ambience with a large screen TV with football. Drinks are reasonable.

The hotel is completely set back in its own grounds and I can well understand why they offer airport parking and transfers (£6 return). If you get bored in the hotel you can always take a right out of the gate and walk or drive for about 1.5 miles over the bridge to a vibrant little village with many eateries and bars. You’ll also find a Tesco and Morrisons.

I think one night was enough at this hotel, but I only stayed there for the parking and airport transfers. I would return for this purpose only.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kevinjames

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money, the bar area relaxing and the staff efficient and friendly.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

bristol uk
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel before a flight
This hotel is great for one night just for a bed with parking

Don't know anything about the food here - but the menu looks tacky and overpriced
The place is very old fashioned - it's needs updating! The rooms are a bit grubby and we had mould in ours!

Went to a local gourmet burger kitchen for food which was great!

Stayed January 2014
I am sorry that you feel that the hotel needs updating and that your room was a bit grubby, I do I wish that you had returned to our reception and spoken to the staff who could have allocated you another room to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Although the car park was massive, it was unlit and under water as it had been raining heavily. When we checked in, there was no record of our booking despite showing the email confirmation - this was eventually sorted and we were given the room card.
The bed wasn't double as described, 3/4 size at most which meant an uncomfortable night for my 6ft+ partner! Unfortunately, our bed was beside the lift so each time the lift was called, our room shook and sounded as though a pneumatic drill was coming through the wall!
After a day's shopping, we returned to the hotel to find that we were unable to access our room as the key needed to be rechecked in for the second day. We decided to call at the hotel restaurant for a meal before returning to the city centre for a gig, only to find the restaurant closed!
All-in-all, not the greatest trip!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room next to the lift, unless you don't mind not sleeping!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aimi H

We do have a large car park with over 600 spaces. Due to the recent weather conditions we have been experiencing one small area of our car park has become flooded, however there are plenty of spaces to park away from this area. Our car park is well lit and I do not understand why you would say it was unlit ?

I am sorry that there was no record of your booking on your arrival at the Hotel, this can happen on occasions when guests book through a third party is can take some time to come through to our reservations.

I do wish that you had spoken to our reception staff and told them that you were unhappy with your room as we could have arranged a room move for you to ensure you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Our restaurant opening hours are Breakfast Monday to Friday 6.30am to 9.30am, Saturday and Sunday 7am to 10am. Dinner 6.30pm to 9.00pm each evening. Our Pizzeria Restaurant is open Monday to Saturday 5pm to 11pm.

Hotel Supervisor

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked here because (a) it was cheap and (b) it was close to our evening event. I suppose in that sense you get what you pay for.

Arrival - car park is shocking - we had to wade through puddles and mud to get to reception.

Check in - very good and efficient - staff at the reception desk were helpful and polite.

Room - small, but functional - however it was dirty and smelly. We didn't notice at first as we quickly dropped off our bags and headed out for something to eat.

Food - on Saturday afternoon this was non-existant! There wasn't a bar menu and the sandwiches supposedly on offer were not available. If we wanted to wait 3 hours we could get a pizza when the restaurant opened.

Breakfast - make sure you book in advance if you want this as its £3 more expensive if you decide on the day. It was poor with the quality of food below any value that would equate to £11 per person (or even £8 if pre-booked).

Overall - with a bit of effort and some attention to details (room cleanliness being the most important) it could be a good hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SteveB99

We do have a large car park with over 600 spaces. Due to the recent weather conditions we have been experiencing one small area of our car park has become flooded, however this are is no where near our reception entrance and therefore guests would not have had to wade through mud and puddles to reach reception as this are is paved and on a slope and would be impossible to flood.

I was pleased to read that you found check in efficient and our reception staff polite and helpful.

We do have sandwiches available in our bar area each day and I am sorry that you were unable to order one. I can only assume that they had all been sold however our bar staff should have ordered more from our Kitchen and I am sorry that this did not happen.

We do have a special offer of a reduced price breakfast if it is booked on check in, I am sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast, I am surprised by this as we do receive lots of compliments from guests about our breakfast.

I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room, I would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel to let me know the date of your stay and which room you stayed in to ensure this is fully investigated and rectified immediately.

Chester
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This review is very much a mixture of the ups and downs. I will start with the ups first:

Plentiful parking; very nice reception area with helpful and friendly staff; easy and quick check in; our family room was large and comfortable with freeview and a jacuzzi bath, plenty of towels and extra bedding; the party we attended was held in a very nice room with great organisation and there was never a big queue at the well stocked and staffed bar, the buffet (hot buffet including curry, chips, rice, lasagne and lots of other choices) was beautiful and there was more than ample of it; the residents bar was also impressive, selling reasonably priced food and drinks in a comfortable environment; breakfast was in the restaurant which is lovely and the food beautiful.

Sadly, the downsides:

Albeit plentiful, the car park was flooded in places and very muddy and quite disorganised as markings either absent or unclear; just under our bed but clearly visible we found empty drink bottles, and a couple of tissues which was unfortunate as the room was clean otherwise; when we went for breakfast, we couldn't find ordinary tea and found only instant coffee. We later found out that other customers were asked at their tables if they wanted tea or coffee; the coffee bar (the residents bar) was not open in the morning which was a shame as we were all gasping!!

As an aside, the staff were all lovely and incredibly patient with the abundance of children we had with us so a big thank you to them!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank torworwor
Thank you so much for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that your room had not been correctly cleaned for your arrival, I will pass your comments on to my Head Housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the function that you attended and found the food to be beautiful.

Our restaurant staff should serve both tea and coffee to our guests at breakfast and I am sorry that this did not happen. Our residents bar is usually open at 10.30am each day.

Once again thank your for your kind comment, It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Kind Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Came to this hotel with Caledonia Travel last week and we were expecting the worst due to lots of negative reviews.We could not have been more pleased with the service,lovely room and enjoyable food in the restaurant.The price we paid was very good value and will most certainly come back here in the future.

Room Tip: At weekends i would not choose a low floor as the nightclub may be noisy as it is situated on ground...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patricia s
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to all of the hotel staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel Supervisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#66 of 118 in Manchester
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!