“Shocking!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Shocking!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

3rd time staying because of its location purely, but gets worse every time!! Rooms are small, basic and not worth the money. So called family room but you can't swing a cat. Tv prehistoric, reception staff ignorant, beds just dreadful!!! Wasn't even a double and pillows rock hard, none of us slept all night. Would rather drive home then stay there again!!! 70 quid and no brekkie, wasn't even offered to us!! Don't go it truly isn't worth it.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank jillboot
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay. Our family rooms are larger that our double rooms and I am sorry that you felt your room was too small. It is possible to upgrade to an executive room for a small cost at reception. As you are a regular guest I would be grateful if you would contact me at the hotel to enable me to arrange your booking for you on your next stay with us.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Yours sincerely

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This stay was to be an enjoyable stop over before a flight out from Manchester airport .
Staff were pleasant enough but the room was cramped and had an odour that wasn't very pleasing.
My car was parked on the area out front for the seven days of our vacation.
The food on offer was plentiful but not of great quality for the price.
The drop off and collect taxi service worked well at an extra cost to the room but was prompt and at the end of our holiday the taxi was waiting in the airport vicinity
and duly collected us and dropped us off to a damaged vehicle !! Not happy.
After a conversation with reception I was told parking was at my own risk therefore I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you felt that your room was cramped. Our standard rooms are smaller then our executive rooms and it is possible to upgrade to a larger executive room at our reception.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with our transfer service and found it to be prompt.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Rotherham, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before an early morning flight to Venice last weekend.

The hotel is very cheap, which is a major plus.

The Carpark was half flooded so spaces were scarce and I had to park on a verge whilst I was away for 3 days which I wasn't too keen on. Check in was good .

The major negatives were the resteraunts , with an awful looking carvery and a poor pizzaria.

Our room was nice with a spa bath we were not expecting, however we were above the entrance to the hotel which was VERY noisy due to a wedding party making a lot of noise outside until 1am, which was a pain as we were up for out flight at 3:30, it is also worth noting our wake up call was 20mins late so do not trust this service .

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Adamswfc
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We have in excess of 600 parking spaces at the hotel, there would be no need to park on a verge as we have lots of spaces around the car park for guests to use.

I was please to read that you found the hotel good value for money and your room nice with a spa bath.

Unfortunately some of our guests can be inconsiderate of other guests and for this I apologise,

Bourne, Lincolnshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have stopped here before and thought it shocking, but it gets an extra star this time, as they seem to have done a lot of decorating and provided internet in some of the rooms.

Check in was slow but effective. Checking out bizarre - they could not produce a VAT receipt, and had to email it to me. The restaurant could not provide a VAT receipt at all.

The hotel is surrounded by huge airport parking lot, the once extensive gardens. Most of the customers seem to be package flight passengers or construction workers, and reception can be busy at any time of night.

The restaurants are a pizza place and a buffet, not unlike a canteen. The food is good but there is something of a holiday camp feeling. The rather good Indian restaurant has been closed. Breakfast was a conventional buffet, with better than average bacon and sausages but served cold.

This is not a business hotel by any stretch of the imagination. But it is certainly far better than 3 years ago.

Room Tip: Try and get a 4-poster room, or ask for one with Internet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Unfortunately our restaurant cannot give you a VAT receipt however they post all charges to your main bill and a VAT receipt can be given at reception.

We do have an ongoing decorating programme at the hotel as we are a very busy hotel however it does take time as we have 255 bedrooms, function rooms and restaurants.

We do have a wide variety of guests, coach tours stay and fly guests, private guests and business travellers and I was pleased to read that you felt that the hotel has improved since your previous stay with us.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

we stayed here for one night prior to an early morning flight,and can only comment on what we found,the booking in was efficient and staff friendly,the room was basic but clean and the meal which was pre booked perfectly acceptable we had booked an extra nights stay and were given a family room which had jut been decorated! all in all a very pleasant experience for the price and would certainly use again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other potential guests to read.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed we on coach
holiday. Booking in was efficient and friendly. I agree with some of the other comments about the rooms -they do need some updating such as new tvs. The food and servi
ce were really
good. We would recommend the hotel as it is very good value for the amount we paid.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Helenc111uk
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

North of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel is fair for the price, but basic and dated. I booked one night room only and a week’s parking with Holiday Extras. The idea being I could stay the night refreshed for my airport transfer to Manchester the following morning. Checking in was fast and efficient. There is free wi-fi. Just ask the reception staff for the password.

Walking into this hotel was a bit like entering a time warp from the 80’s. I was given a single loft type room with tea and coffee making facilities. The room was acceptable for a one-night stay, but very dated with an old portable TV in the corner. The bathroom was also very dated. I also had an unexpected guest – a ladybird - which I found in my bedding before retiring for the night. I don’t have any qualms about that. I’ve since read that the UK is under invasion by these brightly colourful friends. Sleep quality was good with a double bed.

I was surprised to find both eateries on the ground floor (a standard restaurant offering a buffet type dinner and an Italian outfit) virtually empty on my Saturday night stay. The bar is also on the ground floor next to reception. The staff were efficient and friendly, but unfortunately on the night I stayed there was a wedding and lots of unruly kids running around the bar area. When I returned later that night after the wedding reception was over it was quite a relaxing ambience with a large screen TV with football. Drinks are reasonable.

The hotel is completely set back in its own grounds and I can well understand why they offer airport parking and transfers (£6 return). If you get bored in the hotel you can always take a right out of the gate and walk or drive for about 1.5 miles over the bridge to a vibrant little village with many eateries and bars. You’ll also find a Tesco and Morrisons.

I think one night was enough at this hotel, but I only stayed there for the parking and airport transfers. I would return for this purpose only.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kevinjames

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money, the bar area relaxing and the staff efficient and friendly.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.