“This was very good value for money”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #90 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've read some of the previous reviews & I do not agree with them. We came on a coach holiday & the room was lovely& clean, a bit jaded but what the heck it was only to sleep in after a fun filled day out ! As for the restaurant well no complaints whatsoever ! They must have got a new chef since the previous reports ! The food was plentiful & delicious. (Some people are too fussy )

Room Tip: Our room was no.160 on the first floor, it was over the entrance but that wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel Supervisor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,723)

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here as part of a groupon offer that included parking for airport. The deal price was allegedly 70% off the true price! It was cheap for a reason!
The whole hotel had a bad smell which I think was musty and damp. Room was supposed to have been an executive room so was disappointing and old fashioned. Two of the jets were broken in the bath and only one towel, the bed looked ok until it was turned back and had huge ink stains all over it! The hotel bar was too small for the size of the hotel but when we did get a table the chairs were filthy and what appeared to be striped was where the chair was totally threadbare. The free bottle if wine included in the offer was unpalatable and perhaps better used to clean the ink from the bedding. The restaurant was even worse the food was Luke warm and tasteless. Probably the worst hotel food we have ever jhad. I could go on and on. Luckily the stay was only for one night as went to the airport the next day. Couldn't get a cup of coffee while we waited. The transfer was the beat bit! Get me out of here!! The young guy behind the bar and a male member of the check in team were helpful and friendly and wasted in this hotel! Would strongly recommend t I avoid this hotel and will remember what my mum says, you don't get nothing for free and things are cheap for a reason .

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank tracey l

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay and I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions before with no complaints but this time the room and service was appalling. The room we were given (478) had a bad smell in it evident later on what from, it had cobwebs from ceiling and a chocolate sweet in middle of floor so clearly had not been cleaned properly. The bed (if that's what you can call it) was a mattress laid on top of some sheets of plywood on top of a divan base then surrounded with a 4 poster frame as per my photos. The least I expect in an hotel is a proper bed. There were no sockets in the room to plug in a phone charger, laptop or hair straighteners which was most annoying and worst of all, laying in bed and looking up we noticed the smoke detector on ceiling had been covered over with a bag or something (photo)hence giving the impression that the smell in room was from cigarettes. We were appalled as this is a health and safety issue. We also had an issue with being overcharged for breakfast when we had clearly booked it online with our room. We would seriously think twice about staying here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BJT59
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

I was disturbed to read your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I have passed your comments on to our Head Housekeeper and maintenance team to ensure these issues are resolved immediately.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I will try and keep this brief, checking in took an age, receptionist seemed more interested in talking to her colleague than dealing with us.
Bedroom had a big bath with a Jacuzzi.....lovely, unfortunately also above a function room with disco and no soundproofing.
Reception does not answer the phone, complaint met with disdain, I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.
Quite probably the worst hotel I have stayed in.

Room Tip: choose different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Owayn
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay and were disturbed by noise from a function at the hotel.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A great disappointment, the picture looks good, the prices were brilliant and the staff were helpful. But the hotel has seen better days, rooms are in need of a face lift, the lift closest to our room did not have an inner door and was, in my opinion unsafe. The public areas were clean and had ample seating for guests. The dining room was pleasant but the food left a lot to be desired. I didn't think it was possible to ruin vegetables to this extent. In the two days we were there we had to ask for the key cards to be re-configured three times and we were not the only ones. On the plus side the hotel is handy for both the Trafford Centre and the city centre. I could say you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap weekend visiting a really interesting city and dont mind eating out , this is a great place to sleep.

Room Tip: do not get a room next to a lift, they are very noisy!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found our prices brilliant and staff helpful.

I can confirm that all of our lifts do meet all necessary Health and safety standards and are safe to use.

Please be assured your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Had a lovely one night stay at this hotel. Smooth check in, with friendly staff, nice room although a little tired but very clean, bed quite hard. Nice three course meal, soup, carvery and pudding whilst being serenaded by michael buble tribute. Comfortable bar area although could do with an upgrade in parts. One tip would be to give the carpets in public areas a good vacuum.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for constructive criticism and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed briefly (thank goodness) prior to a morning flight. Very last minute booking. Checking in was fine, staff were pleasant.

Then the fun began.

Room was smelly, curtains were ripped. The bed felt like a wooden board, pubic hair in the bathroom and an unflushed, used, toilet.

Doors set off fire alarms so we hardly had any sleep. This was no fault of the guests, they're so badly marked, even we were guilty of it.

Oh and the sign outside isn't even lit up properly...something that would never bother me but on this ocassion was a warning sign!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple