“Pleasant experience and a good night's sleep”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Pleasant experience and a good night's sleep”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Reception desk was efficient and courteous. Room was large, spacious and offered all the amenities we would expect. TV was fairly small and old, and not up to the modern large flat-screen, energy-saving standards. Convenient for a night's stay, away from the main road. Located within a few minutes of The Christie. The large car park appeared almost full, although it appears that it also serves as a storage area for cars for visitors travelling to the airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on a national coach trial to see Micheal Buble ,,,it was a bed a shower , evening meal and breakfast,,,don't know how much the hotel was as I paid for the trip in one,,,,,but it's your usual overnight hotel.....the room was clean. The shower was hot. And the food both evening meal and breakfast although not the best I have ever had was far from the worst,and the staff were friendly and helpful,,really don't know why people book a cheap hotel then expect to be staying at the ritz,,,hotel I fret for what you pay, If you are expecting to stay at a 5** hotel then pay the money for one and don't book this one at a budget price then complain

Room Tip: Our room was at the back and looked out onto a car park,,,but as already advised it was for one nigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aliloveholidays

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This is a large hotel which from the outside appears to be a reasonable place to stay!! Don't be deceived, it is run down and in need of a serious revamp, alternatively knocking down and starting again.
My room was in the attic, having got there in the creaking lift I found the room small and noisy, mainly due to the window about to fall out of the frame. I tried to turn the heating up and the control fell off the wall, at this point I picked up my bag and headed to reception to get a new toon.
The second room had recently been painted, easy to tell by the smell, not so bad, so I settled in to watch the snow screen tv, all a bit old. The next surprise came in the morning when the bath plug wouldn't move, it was the type that goes ip and down when you turn a knob at the overflow, another fail.
The food was reasonable with a buffet style roast dinner selection and breakfast was average, although the eat as much as you like policy seemed to go down well with the coach party!!
Would I stay there again, no chance.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us and that you were unhappy with the room that you were allocated.

Our housekeeping staff check each room daily for maintenance issues and I do not understand your comment regarding the window being about to fall out of its frame as this is simply not the case.

We do offer a buffet style breakfast and dinner which our guests do enjoy as they can eat as much or as little as they would like.

Thank you for your constructive criticism this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

While one member of staff really put in every effort to help me (which I appreciated), the over-all experience was awful, and generally the staff weren't great.

The first warning sign is that the horrible red neon sign for the hotel has half the letters broken, and the porch lighting is so poorly maintained only half the bulbs worked. The hotel looks tired and worn, with ugly pattern wall paper and faded drawings of flowers on the walls, CRT TVs and poor quality showers. That being said it was clean and tidy.

The main things I need in a hotel are a good night sleep, and to be ready for work in the morning. This hotel failed both. First of all the curtains are so light coloured and thin that the sun rising at 6am lit up the room better than the poor quality lighting did at night, meaning that I was woken up significantly earlier than I'd like.

I went to iron my shirt to find that there are no irons in the rooms. I then discover that there is a special ironing room on the 2nd floor. I visit this box room and find two irons, both have gunk coating the bottom, meaning that if I try to iron my shirt it'll ruin it instead! Both irons are hard-wired in to the wall.

So I visit reception, who rather than find me an iron I can use straight away say that maintenance will need to go and fit a replacement, which will take a few minutes because they are hard wired in. After waiting around half an hour and no one coming, I have to go in to work with an un-ironed shirt. Via phone I get assurance that the iron has been fixed, and that someone will fix my curtains. Upon my return the irons are exactly the same, and my curtains are unchanged.

The lady on reception really does try and pull all the stops out to find a solution, for which I'm most thankful.... but these things should never have been issues to start with. When I've had issues with irons at other hotels they've had a new one to my door within 10 minutes max.

Then of course you can add the room service opening my door without knocking at 8:20am (while I'm still checked in), as I'm getting out of the shower.

Oh and the shower.... it couldn't keep a constant temperature, instead alternating between freezing cold and boiling hot. The shower head was leaky and didn't give an good spay... plus as often seems to happen they mount it too low - as an average height man at 5'11" I can't see why I'd have to duck to get my head under the shower.

The coffee table was good, but the only table that could approach being a usable desk was instead stacked with a light and coffee/tea making equipment, all of which was hard-wired in to the wall... even with those taken off it wasn't big enough to put more than a laptop on it... no room for paper as well.

Avoid this hotel at all costs for business. They have no clue about what business people need, or understand that you can't wait 30 minutes for an iron.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Trikkitt
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us. Unfortunately we do not have blackout curtains in our bedrooms however our reception staff did do their best to help you.

We do not have irons in our bedrooms and our irons are hard wired in, a member of our reception went to our ironing room as soon as this was brought to her attention and cleaned the iron for you.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Northamptonshire
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Upon arrival at this hotel yesterday evening I could have kicked myself. I had stupidly booked myself into a hotel that I'd stayed in 6 years previously and not enjoyed my stay the first time!

I arrived at 7.45pm to check in after a long day at work, I had to wait 20 minutes to in a queue in reception to check in before being allocated a room. I was given room 108, which is round past the restaurant and up 1 flight of stairs. When I finally got to my room the key card wouldn't work (I stay in hotels regularly, it was not because I couldn't use the card, it hadn't been allocated correctly) so after traipsing back to reception with all my bags (a good distance from my room), I finally got the key sorted and was able to enter the room.

The room was very basic, the sheet didn't fit the bed correctly so when laying down the mattress wasn't fully covered. There was also a smell of cigarette smoke in the room, which is strange as it has been years since anyone was allowed to smoke inside a hotel. After having a look around the room I started to wonder if this could possibly be the Executive Room I had booked... so I called down to reception to be told I had booked a standard room, after a long conversation I managed to convince them that I had actually booked an Executive room and they agreed to check my booking form and call me back in 5 minutes. When they called back they confirmed that I had indeed booked an Executive Room, the room I was in was a standard room and unfortunately they didn't have any Executive Rooms left..... they agreed that they would refund me the difference in the price of the rooms the following morning and a note would be left for the Reception Manager to let her know what had happened. (Strange thing was, when I booked the hotel only Executive rooms were available, I didn't have the option to book a standard room even if I had wanted to).

Upon checking out this morning, of course, the Reception Manager had not been left a note about the refund I was due and I had to wait another 10 minutes for her to find my booking to check I was telling the truth..... she eventually agreed that I was due a £7 refund (the lady I'd spoken to the evening before had confirmed I was due a £10 refund) but in my haste to get out of the hotel and on my way I just took the £7 and got the hell out of there.

Another issue at this hotel was a noise that sounded like someone pressing keys on a mobile phone 'beep beep beep beep beep' was to be heard the whole time I was in there, hence, not much sleep was gained.....

I think this hotel is great value for money if you use it as an Airport Hotel and leave your car there, although I would be careful as I've heard about a number of car break ins if you leave your car right at the rear of the car park (quite a long way from the hotel), you soon forget about a bad 1 night stay if you're jetting off on your holidays the next day. If you are using the hotel as a base and have no sunshine break to look forward to, its quite a miserable experience.

My biggest bug bear that when we had to wait 20 minutes to check in, was issued a faulty key card, was given a room inferior to the one i'd paid for etc etc not one person i'd spoken to thought to apologise - a simple 'sorry' goes a long way with me.

Sorry for my rambling but hope this helps.

I've since gained some advice from some colleagues who are based in Manchester and I understand there are a number of far superior hotels located on the other side of the parkway for a similar cost. I have learnt my lesson and will not return to this hotel a third time.

Room Tip: I haven't seen inside them but I would advise paying for an executive room and ensuring you get...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank someones_angel_uk
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you experienced a wait to check in our check in time is from 2.00pm and we have no way of knowing what time our guests will arrive and sometime when lots of guests arrive at the same time there can become a queue.

Unfortunately we had no executive rooms to move you to and for this I offer my sincere apologies.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay and would like to thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Should you wish to stay with us again please contact me at the hotel directly and to ensure you enjoy your stay with us, I will arrange a complimentary upgrade to an executive room and a reduced rate as a gesture of goodwill.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days last week. I found the hotel extremely comfortable and the meals were varied and very well presented, with plenty of choice.
The staff, both restaurant and reception were all friendly and very helpul.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pambell190735
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Willenhall
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend conference in January. What a great place! Lovely big,comfortable room with en suite jacuzzi bath! Very nice buffet style meals with plenty of choice. The hotel is more like a stately home but with all the mod cons. We would most definitely stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our bedrooms to be large, clean and comfortable and the food in our restaurant very nice.

We do try to offer the best value to our guests and I am pleased your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.