“Never been so insulted!!”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Never been so insulted!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My partner and I stopped off at this hotel on our way back from Scotland - wish we hadn't.
Dinner in the evening was not appetising, nearly cold and very limited for choice - especially as my partner was sticking to her diet. Soup eaten without rolls was good for the diet ("they are being cooked now" but too late for us to have with soup. How good are steak and kidney puddings or fishcakes for a person trying to lose weight? No salad apart from a bowl of lettuce leaves. Desserts had all gone, so had to ask for more to be put on the buffet. Everything seemed too much work - do these people not understand who pays their wages?.
Arrived down for breakfast at 09.35, having been told by reception, that it was served until 10.00am. "Amran" the person showing people to their tables was advised we were waiting he shouted across the restaurant "Tell them to go away , we are closed!" Only he used more colourful language.
We complained about the restaurant and Amran on the day, and advised we would be writing to Customer Relations, which we did - waste of time!! Sandra Cheshire replied twice and totally ignored the fact that we had been sworn at. All we have been offered is another night at the same hotel - wouldn't stay there if it is the last hotel in England.
We have stayed at many other Britannia Hotels and ALWAYS have enjoyed our time there having enjoyed good food and service. The Britannia Country House Hotel restaurant is the weak link in this chain! Avoid it at all cost!

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor near the lift - were not disturbed by the lift or passing guests...
1 Thank SecondwindUK
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I have sent 2 letters to you in response to your emails to me and again I am sorry that the service you received in our restaurant was not up to our usual high standards and I can assure you that the appropriate action will be taken to ensure an incident such as this does not happen again.

Our restaurant is open for breakfast from 6.30am to 9.30am Monday to Friday and 7.00am to 10.00am on Saturday and Sunday. (we do have a notice on our reception desk to inform guests of these times).

As stated in my letter to you I an unable to offer you cash compensation as requested however I did offer you a reduced rate on your next stay with us and I am sorry that you do not wish to accept this. Should you wish to stay at an alternative Britannia Hotel please contact me with the date you wish to stay and the name of the hotel you wish to stay at and I will check availability and prices for you.

Once again thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I only used then for their airport service and I have to say their hotel reception staff are the RUDEST I have ever met. Barely understandable English. I had lost my ticket for return pick up from the airport- still had emails ect confirming and the pick up service were happy to take me- on collection of my car I went in to get a duplicate ticket to give to driver and they refused to issue it- even though I provided proof I had paid.
Shocking customer service.
Would NEVER step foot in again and would warn others off it.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kerry b
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay and that you felt the reception staff were rude. All of our reception staff are fully trained and can speak English very well.

The transfer service is explained to each of our guests on check in, we also give each guest a transfer leaflet which states “it is the guests responsibility to keep tickets safe for the return journey as full price will be charged if a guest has no ticket” therefore our reception staff were only following company policy by not re issuing your return ticket and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Recently returned from Caledonian Coach break. Having read numerous reviews before arriving at hotel we were rather apprehensive as to what this hotel would offer. What a pleasant surprise ! The staff were very pleasant, helpful and polite. The rooms were extremely clean ; not a speck of dust or stain in sight. The bathroom suite had recently been replaced so very clean and plenty of hot water from the powerful shower. The food, for breakfast and dinner was well cooked, tasty and plentiful. Would quite happily stay here again. Thanks for very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helen B

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

glasgow
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was quite worried having booked this hotel on a deal then I read the reviews. Please don't be put off this hotel by the reviews you read. We honestly couldn't fault this hotel. Our room was a good size, was clean and comfortable. The bar area was really nice and well stocked. Dinner was very good with choices to suit everyone. Breakfast was really good too with a very well stocked buffet. Yes the hotel is large and can be noisy but it certainly does not deserve the criticism it has received.we would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shazGlasgow

It is always great to hear that even though a guest has read negative reviews they decide to come and stay with us and make up their own mind. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and would come and stay with us again.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Henley, Oxfordshire
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Room was clean, nice size double, even checked me in early at 9:30am. I stayed for one night on a stag do and for the price we paid it was just fine. Friendly welcome at reception and quiet rooms. Yes the place needs a bit of a refurb but as I say you get what you pay for.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We do try to offer good value to our guests and would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bellshill
Reviewed 2 May 2014

One of the better Britannia Hotels. Room clean, bathroom lovely, food good, staff friendly. Just back from a very pleasant 4 day break with Caledonian Travel.
One little problem, reported twice, water seepage from the bathroom door to under the radiator but this in no way spoiled our break.

1 Thank San65Bellshill

I am sorry that the leak in your room was not repaired immediately.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

HULL Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on route to the USA flying from Manchester airport. The hotel is dated, our room was clean and comfortable the evening meal was awful frozen potatoes and vegetable's tasteless soup I complained and was only charged for one meal. The serving spoons handles were far too hot to get your food actually on to your plate at risk of burning yourself if didn't wrap a napkin around them. The breakfast wasn't much better. No complaints re transport to and from airport. Would not use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found your room to be clean and comfortable.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your meal in our restaurant. We do not use any frozen potatoes or vegetables in our kitchen, these items are delivered fresh daily.

We have utensils with plastic handles on our carvery and unfortunately some guests do put them back in the dishes incorrectly and the handles can become warm. We do have a notice on display to inform our guests that the handles may be hot, we also provide napkins for our guests to use.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards