“Don't be fooled by thinking you 'have a reservation' 111” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by thinking you 'have a reservation' 111”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Country House Hotel - first time was OK, apart from a ill-explained return taxi system - after a long flight you just don't need it! Returned a second time to avoid being snarled up on the motorway before an early morning flight; the deal of hotel room plus parking whilst on holiday is the main selling point for us. OK, it's reasonably priced, but you expect to be treated well whatever you pay!! On arrival around 11 pm on 13th May, having booked and paid on line, we were greeted with an 'atmosphere' in reception. There were four members of staff behind reception, one chinese lady, one young french girl, and two males ... it was apparent that English was second language to them all. A lone female traveller was being attended to, it was obvious she was not happy. Having gone initially to the Britannia Airport Hotel down the road, they had rung the Country House Hotel, who confirmed her booking was with them. She drove all of ten minutes to witness her hotel room being given to another guest by the chinese lady, who then denied this and let another member of staff try and sort the problem out. The staff on duty very well practiced in not making eye contact unless they absolutely had to. As we approached the reception, leaving the disgruntled aforementioned young lady to one side whilst they tried to find her accommodation for the night, I handed over my paperwork which confirmed I had paid for a one night stay. The male member of staff - (no name badges evident !!!) - said 'No, you are not booked in at this hotel, you are booked in at our sister hotel!!!' I assured him I wasn't as my reason for choosing the hotel was close proximity to airport for early morning flight. At 11.30 pm, and just needing to get to a room, we accepted the alternative - Britannia Portland Street. Not being local we didn't realise we were being sent into central Manchester - a £16 taxi drive away, but we had assurance that airport transfers would be arranged. AT NO POINT IN THIS CONVERSATION WAS THE WORD 'SORRY' USED !!! The taxi driver from Club Cars was a real diamond - we didn't get his name, but he came back to reception and explained that we needed another voucher to prevent an argument at the end of our holiday. He also intimated that this 'over-booking' was a regular thing with the Country House Hotel - fill the rooms whatever the cost, if there's a problem just try and deal with it !!! Not the way to get repeat custom I think !!! However, the cloud does have a silver lining. On arrival at Portland Street, we were blown away with the hotel - grade 2 listed building - absolutely wonderful. The night manager - Al - greeted us in a very professional way, and hearing our 'Britannia story so far' uttered his first words; 'I am really sorry about this' - to which I replied the staff at the Country House need to come here to be shown how it's done. Our room there was spacious, clean and comfortable; all we required for the night before a long journey. We were offered complementary breakfast for our troubles, which unfortunately did not fit with our flight times, so were offered a bottle of wine from the bar ... BOY, DID WE NEED IT !!! Congratulations to Al at Portland Street - you were a star! The staff at Country House Hotel should take a look at what customer service is all about courtesy of Portland Street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lyndafreespirit
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that on your arrival at the hotel there were no rooms available and you had to be out booked to our sister hotel, Britannia Manchester.

I have passed your comments regarding the reception staff that were on duty to my reception manager as this is not the first impression that we wish to give our guests and I can assure re training will be carried out where necessary.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
mid wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was transferred to this hotel, after the hotel I was originally booked into experienced a flood.
The hotel looks good from the outside, but the inside is dark, dated and appears dirty.
The check in process took forever, due to there being only 2 members of staff.
The pizza restaurant was closed, so the only alternative was the buffet dinner, which was dry overcooked and poor, for a cost of £14.50, or £9.95 if you bought a ticket at reception. Having spent nearly half an hour at reception initially, I had no desire to go back there to queue again.
What a CRAZY system!!
The only plus side to this hotel, that I could see, was ample safe parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank westmanbrit
Unfortunately due to a flood at the Britannia Airport Inn some guests had to be transferred to the Britannia Country House Hotel. I am sorry that you unhappy to be transferred.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a tired and musty hotel that needs serious upgrading. There was a strong musty smell on the floor we stayed on, hallways were visibly in need of a good vacuum! Our room smelled very musty and overall was very dated and dirty.
We were part of a bus tour and no doubt this hotel was a very cheap option for the bus tour provider. The buffet dinner, which was included, was terrible! The food was dry, overcooked and tasteless. I ate only the veg and potatoes which were the worst by some distance that I ever experienced. Breakfast was very poor also.
Overall this hotel has nothing to recommend it. I can safely say I have never stayed in a worse hotel. Hospitality is an art which providers and staff should take pride in. It beggars belief that there remains demand for hotels such as this. I recommend you do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank anfi02

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I have passed your comments on to both my head housekeeper and head chef to ensure all issues you have mentioned and investigated and rectified immediately.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here last august before we went on holiday to menorca and had a really great night. Food was really good and reasonable prices, rooms were good and we had a great nights sleep followed by a good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Irvine, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night on a Coronation Street Tour with Caledonian Travel.
When we arrived at the hotel it looked good from the outside.
Check in was very quick and we soon on our way to room 146.
To say that the room needed upgrading is an understatement. The furniture was dated, the TV was like something from the Ark. It sat on a very low unit which made it difficult to see lying on the bed.
The room was very small and extremely warm. The window was hidden behind a grotty net curtain. When I moved the curtain to open the window you could barely see the window frame
for dirt. Once the window was open we were aware of a very loud and annoying noise. More about this later.
The bedroom walls were stained and required a coat of paint.
The bathroom was clean apart from the bottom of the shower cubicle frame.
After dinner, which was an average buffet, I went to reception to complain about the noise from outside the room. I was told by the person on duty that it was the kitchen extractor fan and the noise would stop when the kitchen closed. This I assumed meant that all would be quiet when it was time to sleep. How wrong I was. The fan went off and on all night. It was so bad that we had to sleep with the window closed. It was like sleeping in a sauna.
It is difficult to find any positives about this hotel.
I am glad that we were only there for one night and we certainly will not return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchens.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Killiebill1965
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here on the 30th April. We booked the hotel as a hotel/parking deal for the night before our holiday. In the deal we received 15 days parking, 2 course evening meal and a room for the evening. Transfers to the airport were extra but very reasonable. The evening meal was excellent and was self service, therefore you didn't go short of food. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable and lovely and clean. There was plenty of parking. The whole experience was great and I would definitely book again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

If I could give a zero rating i would. Supposed to be 3 star - I disagree . We returned at midnight from Egypt having booked a room 4 months in advance to find they had given our room to someone else. They had accepted more bookings than they had rooms. They then offered us a room which was supposed to be a double but had a 1.5 size bed as that was all that would fit in. The room stank of fresh paint , there were even do not touch stickers on still on display from when it had been painted. The room was on the 3rd floor and without a working lift. When I complained , and I was not the only one at reception complaining about their room, I was met with someone who described himself as assistant manager although clearly he wasn't. I asked for the manager to be told he would be in in about an hour. When i said i would wait I was then told he was not due in until the next day, I the asked them to get him on phone to be told they could'nt as he was actually on holiday and not due back for a few days and it would be his assistant who would be in in the morning. I asked for my money back which they refused. I then left and drove home. I would never use this hotel again. They have some 3 star quality rooms, I have stayed there before and was satisfied, but you will take pot luck as to what you get as a standard class room can range anywhere from a decent room to a minute completely unacceptable room which would not even get a 1 star rating and you should not expect any help from the staff if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of bring offered one of these low quality rooms.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank franktalkuk
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us and I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies. Should you wish to stay with us again, please contact me at the hotel directly to enable me to arrange your booking to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Once again please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.