“Stop Moaning!”

Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Amsterdam
“Stop Moaning!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Me and my husband stayed here in May the night before we flew out of Manchester. I paid £49 with a KGB deal and for that, we got 3 course (buffet style) evening meal, bottle of wine and bed/breakfast. Ok, so the hotel is a little dated and tired, but I cannot complain. Food was extremely tasty and surprisingly very hot in the bain marie. Wine was pleasant - choice of red/white or rose. As we were late checking in there were no more available double rooms (even though it was requested when I booked the hotel) so we were given the option of transferring to another sister hotel or have a twin room, which we accepted. As a good will gesture, the hotel offered us a free one way transfer to the hotel which suited us as we were being collected from the airport when we returned. All in all I cannot complain. It was a very relaxed start to our holiday and I slept remarkably well, and would definitely book to stay here again. It was very good value for money, and I was pleasantly surprised, as I am a great beleiver in you get what you pay for, but in this case it was most definitely more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will return and stay with us again.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Got a good price for 8 days parking and one night's stay on LateRooms.com.
Showed up to park and they weren't even interested in getting our registration number, so off we went to the airport on the transfer they arranged (£6 each way, a good deal).
Returned at 0230hrs in the morning to enjoy our much needed sleepover. Reception staffed by an eastern Euro girl who was very friendly. I'd pre-booked breakfast and duly paid for this, but it didn't show on our room card. I queried this and she assured us it wasn't a problem. Actually it was, and a stand-off occurred as we entered the dining room in the morning, taking 10 mins to resolve. Breakfast was fine when we got it.
The room was no surprise to us as we've stayed before: old, tired, grubby, defunct plumbing, tatty décor, window that didn't fit in the frame letting gale through, old cathode ray tube TV, stained soft furnishings, one bath and one hand towel even though it was a double booking.
I would also suggest that if you have a toilet that doesn't flush particularly well, you ought to supply a toilet brush. Simples.
But we'll probably stay again, because it's about the best deal you can get to get your head down after an unsocial hours return to the airport with parking thrown in.
All I can say is that it's a sight better than it's sister hotel a mile or so away at the motorway junction; now that is a dump!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin A
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

On check in each guest has to complete a registration card, the vehicle registration number is requested on this form therefore we do have the vehicle registration of each car that in on our car park.

I am sorry for the confusion with your breakfast, our reception staff should have issued you with a voucher to hand in at the restaurant and I am sorry that this did not happen.

Should you wish to stay with us again please contact me at the hotel directly to enable me to ensure you do not experience any issues with the room that you are allocated to make your stay more enjoyable.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Recently stayed here as package of a corrie tour with national holidays. Was so surprised after reading many bad reviews, when we arrived the staff were straight away giving out our keys and showing us to our room, informing us of meal times and entertainment etc. when arriving at my room I was very impressed I had a double bed, the room was pristine and the bathroom and walk in shower also immaculate. Had a great nights sleep very quiet although someone's child woke me and my cousin up at 6am screaming. My cousin had a room with a double bed and single bed also immaculate and clean and tidy. Tea was a buffet and it was absolutely beautiful with a variety, the beef was the most beautiful I've tasted. Amongst other things. The waiting staff couldn't have been better. They never stopped, as soon as someone stood up to leave they were straight over clearing tables. And the entertainment brilliant too. A young girl and 2 dancers singing abba etc was a great night with bingo and a quiz too. Lad on bar helped you to table with drinks he was lovely. Breakfast was also a buffet with anything you could imagine having for breakfast. All in all I had a great stay. Clean and tidy, quiet, helpful staff. Good entertainment and out of this world food. Only downside was no phone signal. I would definately recommend and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2014

I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay and I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff, at time it seems that only guests that wish to complain post their comments on trip advisor , it is always great when a guest that has really enjoyed their stay posts their comments for other guests to read.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel I do hope that you come back to stay with us again.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stopped overnight for our early morning flight from Manchester airport despite some bad reports. Because of the bad reports we avoided dinner & breakfast.
We were pleasantly surprised to see clean well furbished rooms on the 2 floor. The room was spacious enough to accommodate a four poster bed. There was no noise to disturb our sleep.
There is ample free parking. I understand there is a shuttle service to the airport.
The only downside was the gardens are neglected allowing weeds to overgrow.

Room Tip: Make sure you request rooms on the second floor, they are clean, quiet and comfortable. Also there...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so sorry that because of comments you have read that you decided not to dine with us. I am sure that if you had you would have enjoyed both breakfast and dinner in our restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel , with my granddaughter on the 3rd and 4th of June. I was given a room on the ground floor with an adjoining room for my granddaughter. My room was for a family of three and the other was a twin. They were both very clean although the furniture was a little dated it was still well presented. The food was excellent with a large choice. At night we had entertainment and a quiz etc. the rooms were quiet and we had a good nights sleep. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to receive positive comments from guests. I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor for other potential guests to read.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived on 31st May. Check in was smooth and very helpful with couple of questions I had.
Arrived at room to find it was a no smoking room, when a smoking room had been booked. Went back to reception to ask to be moved, to be just given an ashtray and told 'don't worry, just smoke in that room, its ok' ????
Personally, I found this to be very disrespectful to the next guests in the room.
The room itself was clean, although small. But wasn't planning spending much time in it. Beds were hard but I found very comfy. Clean bathroom with loads of hot water.
Breakfast- Don't bother. Find a cafe

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have a limited number of smoking rooms at the hotel and I can only imagine that we had non left on your arrival therefore you were permitted to smoke in a non smoking room and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Britannia country House hotel and it is the dirtiest hotel I ahve ever stayed in.

Upon arriving at the hotel at 1.30pm we were advised that our room was not ready but if we headed to the bar the receptionist would let us know when it was. This was not a problem as we were early for the 2pm check in. Receptionist was friednly as was bar man and drinks were a reasonable price.

2.30pm arrived and no-one had come to fetch my friend and I so we headed back to reception and advised the room was ready.

We were allocated room 204 and given directions. We entered our room and we shocked to see that the double room we had booked actually only included a ¾ bed and not a double but as our stay was only for one night we decided we could live with it. We had reservations to get to in town so without unpacking dumped our bags and headed out.

We returned to the hotel around midnight and went to our room. This is when we started to realise how dirty the room was and noticed more things the following morning.

1. The radiator in the room was covered in some sort of liquid, it appeared to be blood.
2. There was brown stains on the bathroom floor. It appears the mop used cannot reach corners.
3. The spare toilet roll had been dropped in (dirty) water and put back on the side to dry out prior to our arrival.
4. There were brown stains on the wall next to the toilet roll holder and under the sink.
5. The dust in the drawers was so thick we wrote our name in it.
6. There was rubbish under the bed from previous guests.

I appreciate that we booked a last minute deal. However, regardless of price I expect a hotel to be clean as a minimum.

Had we noticed these things before we headed out we would have complained and requested a room change. We actually didnt realise how dirty the hotel ws until the following morning. I complained upon checking out and was told that they would advise housekeeping with no further apology.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Dionne L
I am sorry that your room was not ready on your arrival at the Hotel, our check in time is from 2.00pm. Unfortunately if our reception staff are busy they may not be able to come to the bar to inform you that your room is ready and for this I offer my apologies.

I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room on to my head house and I can only apologise that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our usual high standards.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board. Should you wish to come and stay with us again please contact me at the hotel directly to enable me to arrange your booking and make sure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Yours sincerely