“Birthday treat!”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Was taking partner to belle vue dogs for his birthday and was looking for a hotel nearby. Probably wasn't the closest hotel but had fun getting to belle vue. Easily located not far from the motorway. Was upgraded for partners birthday. Room comfortable but basic. Very spacious with good facilities. Disappointed there was a surcharge for use of swimming pool which wasn't mentioned on booking. The bar was busy and reasonably priced. Overall a comfortable pleasant stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel Supervisor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,754)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Are you kidding?

Firstly I paid £45 for a single room and £10.95 for breakfast and was informed the gym/pool was for guests. So I turn into the drive and head towards the hotel, this looks lovely I thought to myself. Then I get to the car park where I notice A LOT of cars. I then realise the hotel is probably used for the airport. No problem. I parked my car and walked towards the hotel when I notice some broken windows and the ones the aren't broken are very very dirty. Not a good sign! I then walk into reception to be greeted by a dozen England flags, very patriotic. I check in and as I do I notice a sign behind the receptionist saying single room £35 and £7.95 for breakfast. I asked why haven't I been charged this. Reply you didnt book through the hotel. Ok I will cancel that booking and re book. Sorry sir you cant cancel its gone past 2pm. It was roughly 2:06pm. After a few words they gave me the breakfast for £7.95. I then walked through the 70's decor hotel on route to my room ......... Well what can I say - Harry Potter's bedroom under the stairs comes to mind. But at the end of the day I cant complain as I had only booked a single room. Had a quick trip to the toilet to be met by the longest hair you have ever seen on the toilet. Deep breath lets go for a swim. When I found the pool the receptionist there told me it was £4 for a daily pass for the gym, I couldn't be bothered to argue so paid the £4. Changing rooms dated, Gym VERY small and VERY dated, Pool VERY VERY small. I was in there for less than an hour. Wifi is in the bar only. Food I did not dare try it, went to cafe Rouge in Didsbury, the sun was out so sat outside. Was great.

Basically the hotel is probably great for when your going on your hols, I mean listening to people in the bar talking about where they was going was lovely. However if you are staying there for ANY other reason, my advice DON'T!!!!!

Room Tip: In another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Catio28
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us.

We have over 600 spaces on our car park and at times it can be extremely busy.

You comment that we have some broken windows at the hotel, this is simply not the case, we take health and safety extremely seriously. If a window does become broken it would be immediately replaced.

We have two England flags in our reception and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

We do have a saver rate of £35.00 advertised in our reception however this is for advanced bookings only and for a limited number of rooms.

The usual price for our Breakfast is £10.95 however at the moment we have a special offer of £7.95 for our guests that wish to pre book breakfast at reception on check in.

There is a charge for our health club of £4.00 per day per adult and £2.00 per child, information in relation to charges and opening times are on our website.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here as an unspecified hotel as part of a trip to visit the Coronation St tour. Thankfully we didn't know the name of the hotel prior to travelling as we would have looked it up here and would have been horrified!
The hotel certainly is in need of some tender loving care, but we found it to be basically clean. Our room was fine, there was room to walk round the bed and the bathroom was good with a huge bath. The room was hot, and I don't think the air con was effective. It was a very hot day though!
Food is not something special, but hot, edible and plenty of it, the staff in the dining room worked like Trojans and were very pleasant with it.
There is entertainment most nights, and the small team put on a really good show, there was the obligatory bingo (cringe - but I still had a go!) and a fun quiz.
A walk by the river is worth it.
I had no problems with the hotel, but in reality I wouldn't have wanted to stay more than 3 nights, but would also have no hesitation in visiting again.
Jennies bar (in the restaurant ) has a "happy hour"
There were 40 in our group, and I didn't hear a negative comment!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue_at_the_seaside

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you feel the hotel is in need of some tender loving care. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and would have no hesitation in staying with us again.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed on 16th May before heading to Spain via Manchester airport. Room was dirty and shabby. Clearly it has not been vacuumed for some time. Air con totally busted. Remote control in pieces so didn't actual control the TV.
All these disappointments were raised with the duty manager who fell back on the 'well you booked through holiday extras so we don't have a contract with you.' Wow, what customer service.

One positive: the bar staff were really friendly.

Airport transfers were chaos despite bookings with reception the night before our departure. On our return we were informed the timetable we received at the time of booking is not actually used and had to ring a taxi specified local taxi company. Unfortunately, we'd been waiting around a while until we decided to phone the hotel and find out where the transfer vehicle had got to.
Method of car parking and security is a joke. They have no idea who's car is who's, or how long it's been there or when it's being collected. Security is a few halogens and that's it.
Couldn't wait to leave and will never again stay in a Britannia Hotel.

We were redirected to this hotel because the Britannia we were meant to be staying at had overbooked. This outfit are total cowboys.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bigbolam

I have discussed your concerns regarding the issues of cleanliness in your room with my Head Housekeeper, whose duty it is to ensure that all rooms are issue free and presented to the highest possible standard and have pointed out that I will not accept guests being disappointed in such a way and I am sorry that you were not offered a room move to make your stay more enjoyable.

Our airport transfer service runs to a strict timetable approximately every 45 minutes. The timetable you were given is the correct timetable to use however you do still have to ring clubs cars to book your return transfer.

When our guests check in they are asked to complete a registration card which includes their car registration number.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We booked 1 nights stay and 8 nights parking. On arrival to the Brittiania Airport Inn hotel we were told they had overbooked and they were sending us to their sister hotel which was this one. Not a good start. Having been given directions which were completely useless we arrived at this hotel and from the minute I stepped in the building it was a nightmare. The hotel was not clean. The bar area was full of drunk men who were singing and shouting so loudly we could barely check in. There was no lift to get to our room so we had to haul 40kgs of luggage up two flights of stairs and the room was so outdated I thought I'd stepped back in time. There was absolutely no comparison between this hotel and the one we had booked to stay in. We ended up refusing to stay here and had to leave our car here and go back to our original hotel. As we should have been told that it was only our car they did not have room for. The whole experience was a complete disaster. I will never book a Brittiania hotel before I go on holiday again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Nikki890520

Unfortunately when the Britannia Airport Inn Car park became full we did have to re locate some of our guests to alternative and I am sorry that this was not explained to you on your arrival at the hotel.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed for one night while attending a wedding close by. I paid 38quid for my single room, with no breakfast. Yeh very much a no thrills experience. Room seemed nice when I first saw it, not a cubby hole by any means, proper full size bed and plenty of space. But closer inspection revealed a lot of dubious looking stains (possibly blood, i dunno) on the carpet and furniture. Oh well, this was OK for my brief stay.
More disappointing was the noise all through the night, people shouting and arguing in their rooms, running through the corridors and slamming the doors. Yes it was a Saturday night, so plenty of folks letting their hair down. It kept me awake a couple of hours, and I didnt feel like complaining cos they sounded quite aggressive. Not the hotels fault I guess, but I would pay more for for a peaceful night.

Nice surroundings btw, I took a little walk along the river, plenty of parks and also places to eat/drink close by.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ploeb1

I am sorry that your room was not cleaned to our usual high standards and I have passed your comments on to my Head Housekeeper, whose duty it is to ensure that all rooms are issue free and presented to the highest possible standard and have pointed out that I will not accept guests being disappointed in such a way.

The Britannia Country House hotel is a large hotel with 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and banqueting facilities and at times can be extremely and I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

wanted to try this as I am staying weekly in the area and the hotel had come recommended.
What an awful dated place! Arriving outside, you think this looks reasonable, but then you step inside the reception, walk to the restaurants or to the rooms or even the rooms, brown panelling and dated carpets. Looks like it has been lost in the 70's
Air went in room was hanging off the wall, the room was dark, I banged my head on the ceiling in the shower.
The food, was not much better, ordered tomato and mozzarella for starter, covered in pesto. The mozzarella was the cheap and nasty version, all runny.
For main I had a pizza, wet and soggy bottom, an embarrassment to any pizza establishment.
It had put me so much off, that I decided not to tray the breakfast in the morning, but got myself a sandwich from somewhere else on the way to work.
I appreciate this is a hotel for mainly holiday travellers, but perhaps they should have some consideration for business travellers (who could become regular guests) and separate their sleeping areas from family sleeping areas. Kids crying, people coming and going, shouting, doors being slammed etc until 2AM...
Not a good nights sleep, definitely won't be going back there again.
Stay away if you can!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ulrik P

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food that was served in our Pizzeria restaurant. I do wish that you had spoken to our restaurant supervisor as your food could have been replaced to ensure you enjoyed your meal.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise, we do ask our guests to be quiet however some guests can be inconsiderate.

Thank you for your comments.