“just back”

Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“just back”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

we just arrived back yesterday (19/6/14) from a national coach holiday & stayed at this hotel for 3 nights,

Are there any window cleaners in Manchester? the windows & net curtains on this hotel look like they have not been cleaned for years! The lift is still out of order no matter what the manager posted in a reply & said it was fixed, its not ! other than that our room (102) was not big enough to swing a cat in , why in this day & age do hotels still insist on a very old tube type small portable in the rooms?, the temperature inside this hotel is unbearable, i spoke to people who came downstairs at 3 in the morning to get outside, you simply cant breathe in the place, this hotel is just a stop off for people flying from manchester airport, there were groups of lads who are working at manchester uni who sat in the smoking area most nights with there own cans & the hotel just supplied them with large ice buckets to keep there cans in , having said that they were fine & didn't bother anyone, just kept in there own company & were canny lads ,
The food was excellent , loads of choice & on the first 2 nights the staff were great, on the third night it went a bit off though, 3 tables in the area where we were sitting had 3 courses each & none of the tables were cleared between courses, you couldn't enjoy your meal anyway as it was just to hot, literally sweat dripping off your nose & on to your meal !! i asked the lad on reception if there was any air con in this building at all he just shrugged his shoulders & said " i think so", the bar area was nice , the drinks were cheap enough ( lager £2.20 a pint during happy hour & £3.20 after 8pm) sat down to watch the football, pulled the big screen down & was looking forward to the game, guess what? had to leave & go outside , it was just to hot , overall, if this place sorted itself out with air con , cleaned the windows it wouldn't be bad, lovely outside area to sit which was handy as most of the guests sat outside de to the heat inside !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that the room that you were allocated was small and too warm. Our heating is switched off however we are experiencing very warm weather at the moment. We do have fans at the hotel reception should a guest wish to use one.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant and drinks in our bar area.

Kind Regards

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Let's start with myself , I am a family man with a wife and young family and I rarely complain about anything ( please see my trip advisor reviews ). BUT this hotel is truly shocking . On arrival we were told lifts were out of order , great with pushchairs and young infants and a pregnant wife , thank goodness for the help of the fellow inmates err I mean guests who helped us getting up and down stairs for the duration of our stay the hotel staff mostly just watched us struggle .
The rooms were pretty dire with.a 60 style portable sized television but on the plus side room had a jacuzzi style bath yeah.
The food was ok and the waiters were very helpful and friendly but finally we requested a cot for our room which was filthy and once we put our little one in collapsed at one end which left part of metal frame visible good job we noticed this before settling down for the night ending up with baby sleeping with us in bed not a great nights sleep .
We did not bother complaining as we witnessed various guests complaining to staff and getting nowhere .
I have never been so pleased to get home after a hotel stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryan W
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Unfortunately we did have a lift out of order during your stay with us and for this I offer my apologies, our lift has now been repaired.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room, I do wish that you had spoke to our reception staff as a room move could have been offered.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This is undoubtedly the worse hotel I have ever stayed in! We were greeted with a huge line lads where the hotel had lost their booking and kept us all waiting for a disgraceful amount of time!

Once in our room it was fine for what we had paid....

Then we went to the resteraunt to have our pre-booked meal which was an absolutely disgusting choice. I was refused a refund by the hotel as my children didn't like any of the 4 items on the menu which was most certainly not advertised as such!!

Then we went to our room to get some sleep before our early morning flight to no avail as we were placed directly over the function room with music blasting so loud it made our whole room vibrate! When I called to complain I was told the party will finish at 1am which was disgraceful as we we're being collected at 3:45am!!

The hotel was covered in drunken people with empty beer bottles all over the front of the hotel and cigarette butts everywhere! The hotel can't even say this was a one off as when we collected the car a week later the reception was in the same condition!

I'm sure the manager will comment on this post as she does others but please be assured she was as rude and unhelpful as the receptionist.

I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me!!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Andreata_11
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. Our check in time is from 2.00 O’clock and unfortunately if lots of guests arrive together there can be a queue. Our reception staff do work as quickly as they can to check guests in to keep their wait to a minimum.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food in our restaurant, and that you were disturbed by noise.

Our reception and outside areas are cleaned numerous time throughout the day and night and do not understand your comment regarding the outside areas not being cleaned.

Kind regards,

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Well......similar to lots of other people on here,I read the reviews and thought, 'It can't be that bad.' I have stayed at Britannia Hotels before and always thought they were 'alright.' On this occasion,I was mistaken!
On the plus side, lovely drive upto the hotel and check in was fairly quick considering there was a coach load of us.
We went to our hotel room,opened the door and promptly closed it again.....as non smokers,there's no way I'm sleeping in a room that was reeking of smoke. Went back to reception and pointed this out to the lad on reception....our room was changed and the lad said that all the rooms were no smoking but some people do it anyway.....have to wonder if whoever cleaned the room pointed out that it was also stinking! Although the bed linen and towels appeared clean, there appeared to be parts of the shower that were unable to be reached.....and in the public loos downstairs,I'm not quite sure what the brown mark was near to the flush in one of the cubicles....but I could hazard a guess. Also should point out that the hotel is also used for functions......last night we were two floors above an 18th birthday party....'Britannia COUNTRY HOUSE hotel'.....please don't expect that you'll be guaranteed the peace and quiet of the country.....good job I like The Commitments.....Mustang Sally was fabulous at 12.55am.
Our dinner was included in the price too......buffet style......I got an additional 'extra' included in mine,it had wings and did NOT land on the food while at our table! I pointed this out to a member of staff,she took my plate away,no apology at the time,I followed her. She went to the kitchen and I noticed her laughing with other kitchen staff......not a thing to be laughed at in my opinion. The additional response that I received wasn't satisfactory in my opinion and I will be taking this matter up with Britannia Hotels! Had I wanted to eat anything else other than consumable foods I would have gone on 'I'm a celebrity......'

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AQ410

We do have both smoking and non smoking rooms at the hotel and unfortunately some guests do smoke in our non smoking rooms and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your bedroom, I do wish that you had spoken to our reception staff as you could have been given an alternative room or a member of staff could have come to your room to correct any issues.

I have spoken to my restaurant supervisor who remembers this incident, unfortunately a fly did land on the vegetables, as soon at this was brought to her attention she removed your plate for you, our chef removed the tray of vegetables from the carvery and replaced them with fresh ones. Our restaurant supervisor offered you an alternative meal from our Pizzeria restaurant however this was declined.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I frequently travel with my work and i was due to fly out to Dusseldorf from Manchester Airport on the 10th June 2014 but my flight was cancelled and so the airline sent me to this hotel to stay overnight awaiting the next flight out. So, i don't know where to start. Perhaps with check in at the hotel. The gentleman ahead of me in the queue was asked by the receptionist why he needed a disabled room - asking a person this kind of question, namely to describe the nature of their disability, is shocking and since the DDA (Disability and Discrimination Act) has been in place since 1995, perhaps some training of staff in sensitivity and respect is required? My room - yep, the review stating the single room size being akin to Harry Potter's under stairs cupboard is accurate. However, when i noticed blood stains on the wall of my room i asked to be moved to another, which they did, to another broom cupboard and this was equally unclean but by now i had little or no energy left to argue. The food - evening buffet, hot and cold food but looked unappetising but perfect if complex carbs is your thing, the 'salad bar' consisted of some lettuce and cucumber so i opted for some breaded chicken, a spoon full of coleslaw, some pate and bread. The chicken and coleslaw was edible, the pate tasted alarmingly off. I left the restaurant hungry. You can not pay for drinks at the bar with a debit card. You must either get a credit account set up via your credit card at reception or pay by cash - if you don't have cash on you there is an ATM in the reception area but on the 10th June it was out of order so my question to reception was what happens if you don't carry a credit card and you can't get cash out of the ATM - to which they shrugged their shoulders. Very helpful response. There is something about an unclean bed that makes it very difficult for me to sleep so i was still awake when my alarm went off at 4.15 am to get back to Manchester Airport. So, to sum up this hotel is stuck in the 1980s (decor included) with a casual attitude to customer service that does not belong in the 21st century; unhelpful staff, awful food, unclean room.

Room Tip: No comment - other than choose another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank freemanwilson
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel and I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

YORK
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Does what it says on the tin good deal, good sleep, decent food and hot water. Some areas could do with a upgrade but its cheap and clean so what else do you want for the price. As with all Britannia Hotels getting ready in some areas for a bit of a upgrade but not bad for the prices.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from the road. Get one to the back of the building to escape car park noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DAZ7450
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have an ongoing decorating programme in place, however with 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and banqueting facilities this will take some time to complete, I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed overnight before our flight early in the morning from Manchester Airport and booked our car for 9 nights at the hotel.
Our room was exactly what we wanted, a comfortable bed, tea and coffee facilities, nice bathroom with a good shower - what more do you want? It wasn't fancy and perhaps a little tired but for the purpose of our stay the room was spot on.
We had dinner at the hotel for the ease of staying in one place. The food was pleasant, portions huge and we were well looked after. The staff at the hotel are helpful and polite. Our transfers both to and from the airport were good and we had no complaints.
I have seen some negative reviews and I have also heard negative comments on our return transfer, I honestly have to say I cannot understand this. For airport accommodation this hotel is ideal and the price we paid was fab.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank H O
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be clean and comfortable.

We do try to offer great value to our guests and I am pleased your stay with us was an ideal start to your holiday.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.