“Very Dated and Cleanliness Poor!”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #87 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very Dated and Cleanliness Poor!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I Stayed here 21st June 2014 as was visiting friends; The reception itself was quite nice but taking 25minutes to check in wasn't a great start... My hopes hadn't been high as we had only stayed based on location and friends living a 5 minute drive, however when seeing the room I was disappointed! It was small, grubby looking, and dreary to say the least! Not being one to let this dishearten me we left to return that night... Well, the most uncomfortable and hard bed, and the pillows were even worse that I slept without! After little sleep I was then awoken by banging around at 7am (keep in mind this was a Sunday!) and then staff banging on the door for god only knows what (we were staying 1 night, I'm pretty sure that fact we were checking out lets them know we didn't require the grubby sheets changing)... I left relatively early, and again it somehow took me almost 15minutes just to check out... I didn't have high hopes as this is relatively cheap for Manchester and accommodated location wise, but I would definitely travel further and get a nicer cleaner hotel in the future. The Spa was closed the following day however notices were up, and I choose to not have breakfast so cannot comment on them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

Our check in time is from 2.00pm and unfortunately if lots of guests arrive at the same time there can be a delay, our reception staff do try their best to check guests in as quickly as they can.

I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room to my head housekeeper to look into to ensure any issues are rectified immediately.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We are a couple aged 26-28
The welcoming wasn't brilliant maybe that's because 1 person was doing most of the work at reception as the other stood there, the queuing at the reception could be improved, got to the room, it was clean maybe an odd bit of dust but not too bad, went to dinner it wasn't a long wait got a table straight away, there was a good selection of food, I believe there's something for everyone, after tea went for drinks at the bar, served quickly enough, I noticed there was plenty of slot machines, pool tables etc.
the decor of the reception area and outside was nice, had a lovely garden for walks.
All I can honestly say is that it is a rather good 3 star hotel and can't expect too much, I would come back again if in the area, had a good nights sleep bed was comfy :)

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed the night before we went on holiday and it was fab got it as a deal with 3 course evening meal breakfast and 15
Days parking. The meal was great good choice as was breakfast and the room was fab had a jacuzzi in .really couldn't find fault would definitely recommend and will definitely go back

• Stayed June 2014

We do try to offer good value for money to our guest and would like to thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Spent three nights here as part of a Caledonian Travel coach trip.
I think some people just like complaining for the sake of it!
Maybe it's because it's used as an airport hotel and folk are comparing it to their holiday hotel in sunnier climes.
We had a ground floor room and although the decor is a little old fashioned we found nothing wrong with that.
The hotel was spotless and the choice of meals was fantastic .... the staff were very efficient throughout our stay.
The entertainment was good and they do two special shows throughout the week which feature two singers and dancers with many costume changes........they also do bingo and quizzes so offer something for everyone!
Drink prices are brilliant too - I have stayed in many hotels throughout Europe and this has to be the best value for money!
Only problem we had was with the room entry key card which I had to return to the reception many times in order to gain entry to our room.
As I said previously - as people use this hotel before their flight then their demeanours may be a little tense and when they return they either compare this hotel with their holiday one or take out their frustrations incurred during their time away.
I heartily recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ground floor is good!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other guests to read. It is great when a guest who enjoys their stay with us post their comments as at times it does seem like we only get negative reviews.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

we just arrived back yesterday (19/6/14) from a national coach holiday & stayed at this hotel for 3 nights,

Are there any window cleaners in Manchester? the windows & net curtains on this hotel look like they have not been cleaned for years! The lift is still out of order no matter what the manager posted in a reply & said it was fixed, its not ! other than that our room (102) was not big enough to swing a cat in , why in this day & age do hotels still insist on a very old tube type small portable in the rooms?, the temperature inside this hotel is unbearable, i spoke to people who came downstairs at 3 in the morning to get outside, you simply cant breathe in the place, this hotel is just a stop off for people flying from manchester airport, there were groups of lads who are working at manchester uni who sat in the smoking area most nights with there own cans & the hotel just supplied them with large ice buckets to keep there cans in , having said that they were fine & didn't bother anyone, just kept in there own company & were canny lads ,
The food was excellent , loads of choice & on the first 2 nights the staff were great, on the third night it went a bit off though, 3 tables in the area where we were sitting had 3 courses each & none of the tables were cleared between courses, you couldn't enjoy your meal anyway as it was just to hot, literally sweat dripping off your nose & on to your meal !! i asked the lad on reception if there was any air con in this building at all he just shrugged his shoulders & said " i think so", the bar area was nice , the drinks were cheap enough ( lager £2.20 a pint during happy hour & £3.20 after 8pm) sat down to watch the football, pulled the big screen down & was looking forward to the game, guess what? had to leave & go outside , it was just to hot , overall, if this place sorted itself out with air con , cleaned the windows it wouldn't be bad, lovely outside area to sit which was handy as most of the guests sat outside de to the heat inside !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that the room that you were allocated was small and too warm. Our heating is switched off however we are experiencing very warm weather at the moment. We do have fans at the hotel reception should a guest wish to use one.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant and drinks in our bar area.

Kind Regards

Durham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Let's start with myself , I am a family man with a wife and young family and I rarely complain about anything ( please see my trip advisor reviews ). BUT this hotel is truly shocking . On arrival we were told lifts were out of order , great with pushchairs and young infants and a pregnant wife , thank goodness for the help of the fellow inmates err I mean guests who helped us getting up and down stairs for the duration of our stay the hotel staff mostly just watched us struggle .
The rooms were pretty dire with.a 60 style portable sized television but on the plus side room had a jacuzzi style bath yeah.
The food was ok and the waiters were very helpful and friendly but finally we requested a cot for our room which was filthy and once we put our little one in collapsed at one end which left part of metal frame visible good job we noticed this before settling down for the night ending up with baby sleeping with us in bed not a great nights sleep .
We did not bother complaining as we witnessed various guests complaining to staff and getting nowhere .
I have never been so pleased to get home after a hotel stay

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryan W
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Unfortunately we did have a lift out of order during your stay with us and for this I offer my apologies, our lift has now been repaired.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room, I do wish that you had spoke to our reception staff as a room move could have been offered.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This is undoubtedly the worse hotel I have ever stayed in! We were greeted with a huge line lads where the hotel had lost their booking and kept us all waiting for a disgraceful amount of time!

Once in our room it was fine for what we had paid....

Then we went to the resteraunt to have our pre-booked meal which was an absolutely disgusting choice. I was refused a refund by the hotel as my children didn't like any of the 4 items on the menu which was most certainly not advertised as such!!

Then we went to our room to get some sleep before our early morning flight to no avail as we were placed directly over the function room with music blasting so loud it made our whole room vibrate! When I called to complain I was told the party will finish at 1am which was disgraceful as we we're being collected at 3:45am!!

The hotel was covered in drunken people with empty beer bottles all over the front of the hotel and cigarette butts everywhere! The hotel can't even say this was a one off as when we collected the car a week later the reception was in the same condition!

I'm sure the manager will comment on this post as she does others but please be assured she was as rude and unhelpful as the receptionist.

I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me!!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Andreata_11
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. Our check in time is from 2.00 O’clock and unfortunately if lots of guests arrive together there can be a queue. Our reception staff do work as quickly as they can to check guests in to keep their wait to a minimum.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food in our restaurant, and that you were disturbed by noise.

Our reception and outside areas are cleaned numerous time throughout the day and night and do not understand your comment regarding the outside areas not being cleaned.

Kind regards,