“never again what a load of rubbish”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #89 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
lincoln
“never again what a load of rubbish”
Reviewed 19 November 2008

On arrival after a 2 hour plus drive we arrived at the hotel. at first we thought it looked very nice. our room was big and clean and there was a bar so we were happy. then we went to the restaurant for evening meal which was a complete shambles. the staff didnt have a clue what was happening, the tables were filthy and the food well i would not feed my dog it. We opted for carvery what a mistake that was the meat was overcooked, the veg had been there for at least 4 hours and you could have played conquers with the roast potatoes ie if you stay here please eat somewhere else as believe me the breakfast is just as bad. infact we all had dicky tummies even before we arrived at our destination so our first night was spoilt. we payed for park and stay at the hotel didnt think that would be a problem as there were lots of cars parked up. to our horror on return from our 2 week holiday our car had been broken into, the hotel knew nothing about it and hadnt even recorded when it happened so secure car park i think not. so i would seriously reconsider anybody leaving there car there as no body seems to care. when we reported our breakin/theft greater manchester police informed us that this hotel is forever having vehicles broken into and would advice nobody to park there vehicles there. due to the circumstances ie broken window we had to stay at the hotel for 4 hours and they charged us full price for a room which we had no choice with 2 young children they were very understaning.

• Liked — m62
  • Disliked — the whole experience
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank monkey941

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Harrogate
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We needed a room for a night out in Didsbury and this hotel was chosen for its location and budget. For such an occasion it is perfectly fine. Ok the hotel is not contemporary chic, however, the room was a good size & clean. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and it was also a good size. The reception team were pleasant and the parking was free. Great for a stop over or on a budget but not for a luxury weekend getaway.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — the decor
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank snowboy0
Leicester, England
Reviewed 7 November 2008

We booked two rooms with parking for 8 nights and one night's stay in the hotel the night before we flew out of Manchester.

We were very impressed when we first turned up. A grand drive up to the hotel itself and the lobby looked pretty good.

We found a parking space really near the front door, and proceeded to check in. The desk staff were really helpful and confirmed we could leave our car where it was for the duration (at busy times they can ask you to park somewhere off-site) which was great. All good so far.

Then we got to our rooms!! Our's was dark, dingy and had a manky-looking double bed and two bunks - very romantic! The covers had stains on them and the pillows were about as snug as a piece of paper. The bathroom was OK, but as is often the case in hotels, it had seen a fair bit of wear and tear. The other room was better - two double beds and a proper window (our's had a prison-like thing) although still not exactly glamorous.

As we were only there for one night we decided it would have to do.

We then went down to the bar where it turned out to be happy hour. 2 4 1 on wine and beer - so that cheered us up a bit. However, it took FOREVER to get served, the one person behind the bar kept disappearing for ages, and explained to us on one occasion that he had to go and [--] someone - charming I'm sure.

The evening meal was when it got really bizarre. They have a huge retaurant done out in some 80's Greek Taverna meets Italian bar kind of set up. Sure it was very trendy about 25 years ago! We decided to go for the carvery, which looked good from what we could see. I nice salad for starter, but then we got to the main course. There was ONE meat on (lamb, which was cooked very well incidentially) but no-one there to carve it, or any implement to carve with. A waiter eventually happened by and we flagged him down and asked how we served the meat. "I'll get chef" he says. A mintue later chef did indeed turn up and carved us some meat then disappeared again. We helped ourselves to aparticularly uninspiring choice of over-cooked veg and sat down to eat. We then watched a succession of people go through exactly the same thing - waiting around, chef coming out of the kitchen then going away again. Very, very strange.

Next morning we checked out and waited for the airport shuttle. We had booked this the night before (you MUST do this!) but were a litle disappointed to find out it only runs once each hour, and sometimes only every 90 mins or so. This meant that we had to leave a bit earlier than we would have liked - but never mind.

The shuttle was well run with bags being loaded according to which terminal you needed at the airport.

On our return we realised that we had no idea when the shuttle would turn up. Luckily a fellow passenger had managed to get a list from somewhere and it turned out there was one at 9am, the next one not until 11.30am!! Our plane had landed at 8am, after an over-night Transatlantic flight so the prospect of having to wait until 11.30 was not a good one! Luckily we got the 9am one - but the hotel really should look at putting more shuttles on - the current number is just not good enough. The driver we had was the most miserable person we had ever come across. He pulled out of the airport before a family had even sat down and they nearly ended up on top of each other in the aisle of the bus! When we eventually got back to the hotel he literally flung our cases out of the bus onto the pavement pointed at a nearby path and said "go up there". Once again, charming I'm sure.

Overall, not a good place to be. Go somewhere else instead. This place needs closing down and starting again!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Most things
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah-Keeling
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding there. When we first tried to book it, the hotel was charging around £100 per night so we booked through an agent for £75. Upon arrival, we were told the systems were down so we couldn't check in. This caused a problem as we had no cash and had been expecting to be able to put our bar bill straight onto the room, we were offered no alternative on this and the staff simply shrugged their heads in a 'can't be bothered to deal with this' manner. Other wedding guests said they weren't staying at the hotel due to the price but those who had booked the week before got their rooms for £45, not £100 as the hotel tried to charge initially. When we were finally able to check in at around 4.30pm, we asked to speak to the manager three times but he never appeared. We asked why other people were able to have the same room for £45 and were told that as we booked through an agent, we paid more. Eventually, they reduced our rate to £45 but were completely unapologetic and vacant throughout the exchange. Then, to the meal. It was specified that we were to have a vegetarian meal and our namecards had 'V' written on them, however we were presented with prawn cocktail. When we told the waiting staff that we were vegetarian and couldn't eat this, they simply shrugged, again without an apology of any kind, and were told the chef had not prepared another option, therefore we had to sit and nibble on a bread roll whilst everyone else tucked in.
The room itself was fine, nothing special and a bit tired looking, but acceptable.
When we left, the same member of staff was on the desk that had been there the entire time of our stay - perhaps staff are made to work such long shifts that they simply cannot be bothered to dredge up a smile or a customer focused attitude?
Either way, I would not recommend this hotel for anything other than perhaps a cheap bed for the night in a convenient location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beckwasthere
Dorset
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Having booked and paid for the hotel room(s) - to enable a good rate - i then read the reviews on this site and was in trepedation about staying there. The fears were unfounded. Some of the things people had said were correct e.g a slightly hard and lumpy (bunk) bed (in my case), but really, I wanted a room(s) for one night as attending the hotel for a wedding (I had swapped accomodation from a hotel further away, which would have entailed driving after the event, and also we had felt a rest inbetween wedding and evening disco was a good idea).
The room was warm, plenty hot water. Everything worked. We hadn't booked in for the view - but for a facility in which to sleep. I would stay again if i needed to be in the area. Bar area good. Would have liked to sample Spindles, but no time. Wifi in all rooms would be a bonus (i didnt have time for 'onlining', but may have liked it had i not been attending a wedding there).
The other people staying with me had no complaints. The rooms served the purposes for us for the time we were there. If you want the Hilton, then it isn't, but it was much better than the reviews led me to believe.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — slight delay in getting into rooms (but alternative room offered to change clothing in
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I read the review of this hotel and thought that because most of them were a long time ago that things might have changed. How wrong I was. After checking in at the hotel I went to my room and was looking forward to a nice meal and a glass of wine. Went to the restaurant the waiter asked what I wanted and asked what he would recommend. He said the carvery. I said okay (not really what I wanted, but it was late and I was hungry). I sat down, the waiter said I could choose what I wanted from the counter. I went to choose. There was something there that resembled quiche, (It looked like a stogy mess), some meats that were dried, and a salad that looked unedible.

I made my way round to where the carvery was supposed to be. I found something orange in a tray, which I was later told was swede and carrots (It looked like it had been in an oven and dried out). There was some green and white stuff, (I found out this was cabbage, to me it looked like it had been dipped in pesto sauce) . There was a stew type looking thing (beef stroganoff) which had a thick skin on it, some rice, which looked like it had been boiled in chicken stock and left to dry, and finally some roast potatoes that had obviously been there a while.

i didn't choose anything. I went and sat at my table and asked what I would like to drink. I asked for a half bottle of Chardonnay, I was told I could only have a glass of house wine. When I said that I thought that the carvery was unedible and asked if there was something else they said I could have a pizza, burger and chips, or a grill, which comprised of 8oz steak, 10oz steak or an 11oz steak or a paninni, all of which I refused.

On leaving (having not eaten anything) I asked to see the Manager. He listened to my complaint, went to see the chef and said that was all the chef was offering tonight and tomorrow instead of the turkey, I could have lamb instead.

Leaving the dinning room, I then went to the bar and asked if they had a selection of white wines was told no, but if I went to the restaurant, they had a selection of wines.

Distraught, I went to my room and had the bag of crisps which I had bought earlier.

I then started the spa bath, (this was an executive room) and thought I would laze in it for about an hour before going to bed. Whilst laying the bath, I noticed mould underneath the soap dish, and around the edge of the bath. At that point I also noticed that a panel in the ceiling had been moved and it had a gap of about two inches between that and the other panels, and that had mould around it as well.

The following morning I thought I would have a nice breakfast, then after an hour or so go for a swim and a sauna at the next door leisure club. I arrived at the restaurant and waited at the entrance desk to be seated. After ten minutes someone arrived, I gave my room number and he said I was alright. Feeling somewhat bemused, I entered, helped myself to some orange juice and bran flakes, then started looking for somewhere to sit. Everywhere I went was dirty tables, no clean cutlery, asked a waiter where I could sit, he said anywhere I wanted. Feeling quite foolish, I eventually found somewhere to sit. Again being naieve to this hotel, I was under the impression that a waiter may have come and asked if I would like tea or coffee. No-one arrived I was told that I had to help myself at the tables almost at the other side of the room.

I then decided that before I went for my coffee, I would get my cooked breakfast. What mistake that was. I put on my plate, Sausge, bacon, fried egg, hash brown and beans. I took one bite of the sausage and felt ill as grease oozed out of it and went down the back of my throat, making me feel quite queezy. I pushed that to one side and tried the bacon, tasted slightly strange but seemt to be alright. The beans and the hash brown were fine, the egg however when I cut into it wasn't cooked. I decided at that point that I needed to get a coffee to wash down the grease that was in my mouth from the food that I had just eaten.

Leaving most of the breakfast, I returned to my room gathered my things together and went to the leisure club. This was the crowning jewel of the hotel.

When I finished at the leisure club, I then returned to my room, but couldn't get in. Tried several times more, then went down to reception. i was told that I needed to swipe my key card again, before I could get into my room. I stated that no-one when I checked in told me this, there was nothing in writing anywhere stating that this needed to be done, so I was a little put out when I had to do it. I finally got into my room about ten minutes later.

As I was waiting for my family to arrive and thought that I would pass time at the bar. After realising that I had no cash on me, I asked if they accepted credit cards, the barman said no. I asked if I could charge it to my room he said only if I had a blue stamp on my card. My card key was blue so I thought it was okay. The gentleman at the bar said he couldn't accept my card key, that it wasn't the correct card. So I couldn't get a drink unless I had cash. I rummaged through my purse and managed to find some, after waiting until the wedding party went into the room where the wedding was being held, I managed to ask for a diet coke, which was obviously well watered down, to almost soda.

Thank fully not long after my family arrived and I left the hotel for the rest of the day.

On the Sunday morning, I then went for my breakfast, thinking that It coudn't get any worse than the Saturday. How wrong I was. The food was appauling in my opinion. I walked straight into the restaurant, I could have just walked in off the street. No-one checked who I was.

I was really thankfull that my stay at this hotel was over. I went to check out and was told that I had already paid. I repeated the sentance back to the receptionist, who told me that the hotel had debited my credit card on the Friday, when I checked in. I asked why , the receptionist didn't know and blamed the people who I had booked it through. considering I have used this company several times and nothing like this had ever happened before, i said that it was the hotel who had done this. The receptionist then started screeming at me. I then promptly stated that I would never stay at this hotel again.

I feel that this hotel should be avoided at all costs. I used it because it was near to my family, but I would rather pay high taxi costs than stay at this hotel(?) again.

• Liked — The Furnishings
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank McElhoney
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This was my second stay at this hotel in order to avail ourselves of their airport parking facilities.
Both times I've been have fortunately been only overnight to catch an early flight and to park the car for the week we'd be away.
The first time, the parking was on site and convenient, but the room was dingy and quite dirty. Considering the very grand reception areas, I was very disappointed to be allocated a grotty, rundown cupboard to sleep in !!
The second time the onsite parking was not available (no warning was given, but the small print gives them a let out), so we had to drive ourselves to a secure parking lot with pretty scanty directions at 04.00 in order to get to the airport to check in on time. On discovering this, we hurried to the restaurant to book a table for a meal, which was made quite readily. On arriving at our booked time we were told there was no room for us.......we protested ( !!!) and were eventually shunted into the adjoining Pizza restaurant and had the most appalling meal ever, some of it quite unidentifiable...service was abyssmal too.
Having said all this, the hotel is inexpensive and does a good deal on parking, but I'll be avoiding it in future.

• Liked — Not much !
  • Disliked — Where do I start !
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScotlandStewarts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
Etrop Grange
#67 of 118 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!