“Good stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
West Midlands
“Good stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

I stayed here for one night on 17th August, prior to our stay I had read some bad reviews so was feeling bit worried . Must say service was good room on first floor was excellent, staff helpful, evening carvery was just okay however breakfast was ist class, overall enjoyed it here

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Swansea County, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We have just spent two lovely days at this hotel. The staff are friendly. Rooms are just right. Plenty of hot water towels changed daily tea and coffee in your room. And even though food was buffet style it was really great. You were spoilt for choice if we were ever in Manchester again we would definitely stay there again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yvonne B

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Prestatyn, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Set back from the hustle and bustle of Palatine Road we were impressed to find it was like a little hide away in the woodlands surrounding it. The room was lovely and comfortable and even included a jacuzzi bath tub. The hotel was very nice and as I stated in beautiful surroundings which you wouldn't expect for a big city. It was lovely weather so we could make the most of soaking up the sun in the gardens with a nice drink. We had breakfast there too and it was a buffet style help yourself. It had all the breakfast foods you could wish for. The whole place was kept lovely and clean and considering at night it was used for functions such as prom night, was impressive. All the glasses and cans left behind by the youngsters were long gone by morning. The only reason I haven't given it five stars is because the bar closed ridiculously early for a hotel. When we enquired we were told it was because teenagers were having their prom and they didn't want them buying alcohol. Which is fair enough, but not wholly considerate of the paying guests boarding there. Though we were told there was a machine to buy alcohol from, but we never found it. Plus the gentleman on reception was very surly when we arrived and didn't exactly welcome you. However the rest of the staff were lovely and all enquired after us each day whether we were enjoying our stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area for business or pleasure, and we would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view and less noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor for other guests to read. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be very nice and in beautiful surroundings.

I will pass your comments regarding the receptionist on check-in to my reception manager to ensure this does not happen again.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

So me and my boyfriend stayed here after a flight home from Teneriefe. We arrived at 2am and the drive down was rather unnerving due to the dark roads and the hotel itself did meet the horror movie criteria. We were told that we had to be out by 11am, which was early but acceptable.
We go in our room and think it's lovely (it's very dark, not many lights worked). We go for a shower and see there's a jacuzzi but it doesn't work. We then went to bed. We woke up at 8am as a staff member just walked in our room! Just what we need after a long flight. We are next to a family room and in one ourselves which we shouldn't be! So children are screaming all around. Again not much sleep! Then at 10:45 just as we're getting ready to go, a knock at the door reminds us to check out soon! I'm sorry but we had plenty of time and I do not appreciate constantly been disturbed.

When we woke up and saw the room properly, we also realised what a unclean, disgusting state it was. Never ever again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keira56435
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I have passed your comments on to my Head Housekeeper and have asked for these issues to be investigated to ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I checked in on Saturday 23rd Aug at about 3pm. I had left by 5pm the same day with a refund, after refusing to stay there. My family and I have stayed in many hotels and very much have a positive attitude that "a room is just for sleeping in". However this has got to be the most disgusting and unclean hotel I have ever come across, I have stayed in nicer accommodation in Kibera slums in Nairobi.

You are first welcomed by imposing NO PARKING signs everywhere, despite being told the hotel has free parking, it is not sign posted well, nor were there any spaces within a 5 minute walk from the hotel reception. You then stand in a queue at reception for 28 minutes.

The first room I was given had several hairs on the bed, so I asked someone to come to the room, which reception seemed most confused by. After showing the duty manager the hairs, he explained it was probably the maid's hair who had serviced the room. I'd hazard a guess that the room hadn't even been serviced at all (apart from the bed being made). He then personally changed the bedding in front of me. The room was dusty, there were dirty marks on the walls, the furniture is in dire need of a deep clean and the room desperately needs modernising.

After he left I opened all of the windows, so upon my return later that evening the room would be nice and cool. As I opened the windows, I noticed an infestation of dead ladybirds along the crack of the windowsill and in the window frames (see pictures). I phoned reception again and explained. After being asked if I could not just keep the windows closed, the duty manager came back up to have a look. I asked to be given a room that was clean.

I was sent down to reception to be given a key to a new room. This room was even worse, it had dirty marks all over the floor, again, the furniture was covered in dust and stains. There was a previous guests receipt on the floor and the dust was disgusting. I opened the windows in this room and straight away saw that it had exactly the same problem of dead insects (obviously making a bid for freedom)! In the bathroom I noticed that the bath already had water in (a foot deep) as if again the room had not been serviced. I wouldn't even want to guess what the brown marks were on the bathroom wall in this room (see pictures).

By this point, reception were obviously becoming annoyed at my frequent calls and this time said they could not locate the duty manager (convenient) and didn't know how long he would be. When he did appear for the umpteenth time, he was understanding and apologetic, but I did get the sense he was sick of the sight of me adding to his work load. He offered to blitz our original room himself; as a plea to get us to stay there. I said I would not feel comfortable going around the room and pointing out everything that needed cleaning (as this obviously isn't his or my job). Again explaining that cleanliness is a basic concept and I was not comfortable staying somewhere so unclean.

After much toing and froing he eventually offered a bottle of wine for the inconvenience caused and as an apology and explained that housekeeping would be being spoken to about the state of the rooms. I explained I was not trying to get his staff in trouble, nor was I attempting to get a free bottle of wine, I simply expect a basic level of cleanliness for £85.

He then agreed to jiggle his room allocations around for that evening and eventually showed me a 3rd room. This was in the "newly decorated" side of the building, but I was not complaining to get a modern room! This room was the most acceptable out of the three, but it was on the inside and overlooked the kitchens, so the fans were roaring. You would have got the same amount of sleep as on a runway and he couldn't guarantee they would go off by a certain time. I also asked if this meant other families would be given the other unacceptable rooms and of course the answer was yes.

At this point I gave up and found somewhere else to sleep for the night. We had to let them know if we wanted a refund pretty quickly - so they could release the room/s to other people, the hotel must have hoped that if these people arrived after dark, they wouldn't notice half the things I did. I'd be embarrassed to work for this hotel.

The most ironic thing of the whole experience is on the hotel reception desk they have an unsightly, industrial sized hand santizer with a "polite" message to guests about minimising the spread of germs! I think anyone leaving this hotel deserves a shower in the santizing solution and a medal for having stayed the night, because I couldn't.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms on all floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mmmimo
Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We have over 600 car parking spaces at the hotel. We do have no parking signs up around the car park as we have to keep the driveway free of cars for various reasons such as the emergency services and deliveries and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

Our check in time is from 2.00pm and unfortunately if lots of guests arrive together there can be a wait to check in, as we have no way of knowing what time our guests are checking in.

Our Duty Manager did all he could to help you as you say he changed the bed immediately – they were clean but had a hair on them, they were changed immediately. As you left the window open some lady birds did come into your room.

As soon as you called reception to request a room change you wee allocated a new room. It does seem that the room you were given had not been serviced and for this I apologise.

Our duty manager has to check all of the departments in the hotel and deal with any issues a guest may have and I am sorry that he was not available when you requested to speak to him, he was actually speaking to another guest at the time. As soon as he was free he came to your room immediately, Chris did offer to fully clean your room for you this was to ensure you enjoyed your stay with us and he also offered a bottle of wine as a gesture of goodwill, all comments made regarding the cleanliness of the rooms has been passed to our Head Housekeeper to ensure all issues are dealt with immediately.

I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused and I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

Kind Regards

Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked this on line and then remembered we had stayed in a Britannia Hotel before and said never again! But this hotel has changed our minds. It was clean, comfortable and extremely well priced.

Parking was a little erratic, but plenty of it.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Weimiemommy
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one night in a "family rooms" designed for 3 people with one queen bed and one single bed.

The place feels run-down but it was also very quiet when we stayed (we maybe saw 30 other guests).

The good things:

-The restaurants and bar were reasonably priced and service was good.

-Our bathroom was well-renovated.

-Parking is plentiful and free.

-Breakfast was included in our room rate (if you book a room without breakfast it costs £7.95)

-The hotel is located in a quiet green area between some golf courses.

The downsides:

-The room was old (with bad furniture and TV) and not very clean (dirty floor and windows).

-The room didn't have enough electrical outlets for guest use (you can't unplug things like the lamps or TV because they've got a cover attached to the outlet).

-The breakfast didn't have enough fruit.

-There's not much within walking distance.

-The windows aren't well sound-proofed so you can hear people's outdoor conversations from rooms on the second floor.

-The fitness centre has a very cramped gym space. It costs £4/day for hotel guests and it doesn't open until 7am.

-The bathroom had lots of towels but no small cloths that could be used to wash your face.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Hotel supervisor