“WHat do people really want??”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
steveshirl
“WHat do people really want??”
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My goodness what can I really say??

We have stayed at this hotel a few times this past 12 months and have never had any grumble - Yes the hotel rooms need a decorate (who'shouse never does??) but they are still good quality (maybe a new mattress or 2 would help!!).

We arrived on 18 Decemeber 2008 to leave our car for 10 days over Christmas and I picked up a leaflet in reception about a 3 night gala over New Year which we chatted about and then booked - HOW GLAD WE WERE.

The hotel transfers are as told when booked so how can anyone complain!!!!!!!!!!!

The hotel grounds are very spacius and the walk along the river bank is well worth the effort - especially as I tentitively asked THE question as we walked!!

What more des anyone really want from a hotel?? We had a lovely meal on the night before we flew and were offered either the carvery or the full menu - we opted for the latter and the food was very good (albeit the sauce was a tad watery!! but sorted out very quickly)

When we arrived back for the New Years break it was 3am and we were told that the hotel had double booked our room and that we could change what they had given us the following morning if we needed. DEFINITELY NOT NECESSARY.

The following 3 days and nights were top notch - the food, the entertainment, the price of the alcohol etc etc etc.

Our New Year was really made by the staff who work tirelesssly, and made the whole experience totally A1 - they were unbelievably friendly, joined in etc and never stopped.

Maybe we have low level of appreciation of such places but I can honestly say that this is one Christmas and New Year NEVER to be forgotten

Don't get the feeling that this is perfect - where could be?, but for the price this was unbeliveably spot on. The hotel, the staff, the entertainment, the food - EXCELLENT.

I really have no problems with this hotel or its facilities and will definitely be reusing the place in the future.

How do we rate it - 4 star

• Liked — Reasonable accommodation for the price - DON''T KNOCK IT TIILL YOU TRY IT
  • Disliked — MATTRESS
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Steveshirl
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
East Midlands, UK
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I knew it sounded to good to be true - our normal airport parking was £80 and this was a Hotel including parking for £66!

We made the horrendous mistake of paying an extra £35 for a 3 course la carte meal plus full english breakfast - I wouldn't have paid £3.50 for it and fed it to a dying dog.

The Hotel looks quite nice upon arrival and the Reception was OK with a foreign clerk however, thats all that is OK about this disgusting excuse for a Hotel.

The place is in ruin and was last decorated in 1940 it appears. Wallpaper is missing and falling off, painting has been started and not finished, carpets are threadbare and everywhere is filthy! The rooms are worse with all sorts of stains and marks on the walls and carpets complimented by battered, damaged cheap furniture and oodles of dirt!

The TV could not pick up anything other than Channel 5 and that was a poor ghostly picture, the bathroom was filthy and I dare not shower in the jacuzzi bath for fear of electrocution or legionaires disease. The four poster bed had a broken post which perilously wobbled and the mattress sank so badly to one side I actually fell out of bed twice! The sheets were dirty with brown stains on and the walls were marked with what looked terrifyingly like blood and excriment!

As we had paid in advance for the meal we ventured down to be greeted with a 1970's style carvery - cooked and there since 1970 it appeared! Cold watered down soup started the offering deliverd by a comedy "Manuel "style waiter followed by a carvery which offered an imaginative menu of turkey, BBQ chicken or cremated tuna steak accompained by carrots, carrots and carrots plus aunt bessies soggy roasts and thick skinned gravy. It was disgusting and inedible with no taste with the only morbid enjoyment being watching the faces of other unsuspecting guests who had paid for this rubbish and trying like us to see the funny side or put on a brave face!

After an atrocious nights sleep thanks to the sinking bed, noisy neighbours and the disco downstairs with drunken Christmas parties screaming Living On A Prayer below our window until 2am, we braved breakfast before our 9 hour flight as we didn't think it was possible to mess up a simple breakfast - toast and coffee would do we told ourselves.

How wrong we were! Breakfast is served in the Pizzza place and the food was disturbingly unregonisable. Making bacon, sausages and eggs look and taste like dog food really is a talent and even the tinned tomatoes tasted wierd on the burnt toast. The coffee was more like creosote and the service was hilariously bad.

The pick up point is unclear and not marked at Manchester Airport and collection is hourly so we had 40 minutes to wait in the freezing cold hoping we were in the right spot. The driver was miserable and unhelpful and stopped for 15 minutes for a driver changeover which consisted of a gossip and two cigarettes whilst we waited door and drivers window open!

We do not normally complain and appreciate this a cheap hotel specialising in airport 1 night stays. owever it was completely unacceptable and we rang the booking agent to complain after dinner but had no where else to leave our car at such short notice, so have to write to them and the hotel and will also be contacting trading standards and Environmental Health/ HSE as this place is scary and should not be trading.

I really advise you to stay away from this poor excuse of a Hotel as try as we might even we could not see the funny side!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Everything - its dirty run down hole of a Hotel
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
28 Thank emskiv
countryhmanager, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2009
We were most concerned to learn of the difficulties you experienced with your recent stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any embarrassment or inconvenience caused.

We would like to address a few off your comments and concerns.

The additional charge of £35.00 is for dinner for two in our Carvery Restaurant and a Full English breakfast; this is not advertised as an a’la carte Menu.
Our Carvery’s prove very popular with our guests and we were disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Our Restaurant staff and Manager are always on hand and indeed would always assist our diners to ensure they had an enjoyable meal, and if requested to do so would change a diners meal to an alternative dish.

Breakfast is self service, all the food is continuously replaced with freshly cooked throughout the morning. This is always a very busy time and your comments have been addressed with the restaurant management team.

The Hotel is currently in an ongoing refurbishment programme. We are spending several hundred thousand pounds on the property upgrading all areas and facilities. The room you were allocated was perhaps not one that has benefitted from this as yet.

Your comments regarding the Hotel cleanliness have been forwarded to the Housekeeping Team Manager to ensure the correct standards are maintained at all times.

The coach service operates on behalf of Britannia Hotels on a 24hr loop and must adhere to a strict timetable, traffic and weather permitting. Driver's breaks and shift changeovers are calculated in the bus timetable. If passengers are on board whilst the driver takes his break as they await further passengers the vehicle door must remain open for Health & Safety reasons.

At Britannia Hotels we believe we offer our entire guests Great Value for Money. The Hotel Teams & Management are always available to assist our guests with their needs. If a guest is unhappy with any aspect off their stay we like to know about it immediately so that we can resolve the matter at the time.

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, comments such as yours are always helpful and indeed highlight areas where we may not be reaching the correct levels of customer service.

We sincerely hope that we have reassured you that this is not the normal service that we provide and indeed that you will reconsider and stay with us again In the near future.
london
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Truly awful place.
1. rude, unhelpful, negligent staff.
2. booked it for the free airport transfer and were told that the coach for the time we needed was full. Asked for them to book us a taxi - said they had, but it didn't turn up the next morning ('no record of booking' - so had to rebook at the very last minute)
3. very uncomfortable, lumpy beds ('like sleeping on an egg box', so said my sister)
4. bar advertised food but didn't serve it after 7 - and the restaurant had a very overpriced, unappetising soggy, 'grey-looking' buffet (we ended up ordering pizza to our room)
5. no cash point, and bar didn't take cards.
6.a big school-kids xmas party was on in one of the function rooms with all the kids smoking drugs outside the main doors all evening.

Really quite a depressing start to our holiday. It was only meant to be an airport stop over - and at the price, we had very low expectations - but the experience was down right unpleasant.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
18 Thank jessiebLondon
Lancashire
Reviewed 26 December 2008

After reading some reviews on here I was slightly nervous about staying here. However we went armed with the attitude that if the room was awful we would simply ask to be moved.
We arrived on a saturday afternoon, along with 2 coach loads fo guests for christmas parties taking place in the hotel.
We checked in quickly by a quiet but efficient receptionist. Our room was warm, comfortable and clean.
The only complaint were the bed was squeaky and there was hair in one of the jucuzzi outlets.
I used the leisure faciltiies in the morning and for £2.50 its a bargain, the pool is small but clean and the jucuzzi was the hottest I've ever been in. The steam room was also good.
It cost us £13 quid in a taxi into town, for somewhere quiet but lose enough to town it was perfect, we got our stay for £37 so cannot complain for that price.
To say there were so many people there on different functions, we didn't get disturbed by any noise and the car park is big so we parked as near to the reception as we could and had no problems.

• Liked — Great price and artitecture
  • Disliked — No towels in our bathroom on arrival - took 25 mintues to bring then up.
6 Thank TheHelens
PublicRelations-HO, Public Relations Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

We were most pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have just completed our refurbishment programme, however, your comments have been forwarded to our Housekeeping Team Manager to ensure correct levels of cleanlinesss are maintained.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2008

I only stayed here for one night as I was attending a conference held on site.

A friend greeted me and said that he had a cracking room with a 4 poster and jacuzzi - I was quite hopeful that I'd have something decent based on his enthusiasm, but it didn't pay off. The first room I was allocated was right at the back of the hotel - which I didn't mind - but the surrounding area was being refurbed and it was like a bomb site. There was no floor covering on the stairwell, there was wet paint on the walls (and no warning), and I had to navigate around some workmen cutting up stair grippers to get to the 2nd floor. The room was fine - quite modern looking - but stank of fresh paint. I had to ask to be moved as from a health and safety perspective I couldn't have stayed in it. I'll give Reception their due, they were as helpful as possible given they were busy and sorted me out a replacement. The second room, although it appeared to have been recently decorated, was horrifically old fashioned. A new double glazed window had been fitted but the wallpaper hadn't been replaced around it so it looked pretty dog eared. There was what looked like blood stains on the wall by the headboard, and the bathroom could have done with the wall coverings being replaced. There was no lock on the door, and having read the previous reviews on this site I was more than a bit concerned about my security. Given that I'd already had to move, I couldn't be bothered to go back to reception again and decided to stay put. By 6am, I wished that I had asked to move as the occupiers of the 3 other rooms in my corridor had been shouting and slamming doors for the best part of an hour as they left to catch the airport shuttle bus.

Breakfast was OK, but as with the Europa in Gatwick (part of the same chain), much of the fried foods were over greasy and the eggs weren't completely cooked.

The hotel wasn't as bad as I had been led to expect from the reviews, but certainly wasn't up to the standards I would have hoped for. I wouldn't book this hotel myself, but didn't have any choice in this instance. It would certainly be worthwhile the management reminding guests that although they may be vacating the hotel in the middle of the night, some of their neighbours may not, and that they should try to treat other residents with some respect. 'nuf said.

• Liked — The bar area
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank Steve M
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

We were most concerned to learn of your disappointment with the hotel. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. We have now fully refurbished the hotel.

Please be assured our staff are on hand at all times to ensure our guests enjoy their stay.
uk
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Myself and my two children stayed at this hotel for one night. One of the main reasons that we booked up here is that we were going abroad the next day for a short vacation, and noticed the free parking and free airport transfers - good we thought, that has to be a bonus, as we were quoted a reasonable all in price.
We arrived around 4.30pm, reception staff were very pleasant and we got checked in to our room. The kids noticed that there was a swimming pool, and as they brought their swimwear, thought they would have a swim in the pool. They went down to reception to enquire - no children allowed in the pool after 5pm. I said "Well, go now and at least you'll get a short swim." They returned again, we are not allowed in without an adult - I said "okay, forget it then." We noticed that the en suite room had a jacuzzi bath. I thought well the kids can go in there and that will make up for the disappointment about the swimming pool. Alas, the jacuzzi did not work. I also had to get one of my children to hold in my shaver plug as it would not stay in the socket.
We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, rather than take the car out again, and we didn't fancy a lengthy walk either, as the hotel is in its own pleasant surrounding grounds, which is certainly good from the point of view that there is no close by traffic noise.
Anyway, we started off with soup, which was good. Then we had to search a few plates and cutlery until we found clean ones. I had the lamb which was fatty, one child had chicken which seemed okay and the other child had a chop in mustard sauce which also seemed okay. I wasn't too keen on the roast potatoes or the veg. Desserts were more appealing and were quite tasteful, gateaus &c. The children received a discount on their meals. Next morning, breakfast was something else - fatty bacon, sausages which I didn't like the taste of, my daughter ended up with a half raw fried egg, toast was made on a DIY toaster which first was burnt, we adjusted it, it was then barely toasted, after experimenting with about 5 slices of bread we got it toasted to an acceptable standard! There was butter lying on the floor also.
Our outward free airport bus was fine. Coming back was a different story. First we hunted for a phone that worked to let them know we had arrived back (10.15am), next bus was 11am. We waited at where the majority of buses come and go, our bus sailed past around 11am, and didn't enter the bus bays we were waiting at. Pick-up points on the return journey, in my opinion are not clear enough, as Manchester airport is very large, and it can be quite daunting for someone that doesn't know the area.
Anyway, enough was enough, we got a taxi back and that cost me £10. Then after getting to our car, it wouldn't start. We went in to hotel reception and they honestly couldn't have been nicer, and within 3 minutes had a maintenance member of staff come to our aid with a starter machine, and we were soon on our way.
So, as I say at the start, mixed feelings. That was our story, I'll let you make up your own minds.

• Liked — Reception staff were very helpful.
  • Disliked — Food, jacuzzi didn't work, shaver point needed attention.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
11 Thank thetravellingmanUk
Sennen Cove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Needed 2 rooms for 1 night to attend and meeting (and football match). As I don't like wasting employer's money, picked this hotel as it was excellent value and looked OK on the website. After booking a colleague read reviews which were generally awful.
Considered cancelling as hotel allowance includes Manchester's best hotels. Was very surprised on arrival, imposing driveway with perfectly decent building and reception. Given 4th floor rooms, reasonably large doubles with all the usual bits and bobs. Bathroom with huge Jacuzzi bath. Both myself and colleague were pleasantly surprised. The hotel isn't great but definetly better than most reviews. It worked just fine for us although the mattress on my bed wasn't too clever. We had a couple of late drinks at the bar which was fine, but didn't take breakfast although at £5 or so it seemed cheap enough.
Have I stayed in better hotels, yes loads of times, have I stayed in worst, yes.
A local colleague later told us that out hotel is very different at the weekend because of the adjoining nightclubs. Maybe that is what prompts the negative reviews. A Wednesday night was quite and no problem.
Would I stay here again, probably if I wanted to keep to a budget.

• Liked — Value for Money
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment on your recent stay.

It is always refreshing to see positive reviews.
We have just completed our refurbishment programme in this property and are currently in the process of upgrading all the matresses.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.