Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
US$181
US$160
  • Restaurant
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$171
US$127
Travelocity
2,805 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I had to stay here on business because the hotels in Manchester city centre were full due to the Labour party conference and ordinarily I would not stay at a Britannia hotel. It was very cheap and at this price I do not expect luxury, just a clean and comfortable room. Although shabby, the room was indeed clean and this is the one redeeming feature. It was very uncomfortable indeed, the mattress was like a sheet of cardboard and the bed had a wooden ridge round it presumably to keep the occupant on it as the mattress kept trying to roll me off! Consequently I got very little sleep. It was quiet although perhaps it was because the floor wasn't full - I could hear people talking perfectly clearly when they walked past my room, so perhaps if it had been full it would have been noisy.

There was a jacuzzi bath but it was a bit elderly and wheezy, and hardly managed to move the water around. The sink plug plunger was broken so I had to leave the sink full of water, I reported this to reception but they weren't particularly interested although I did see the maintenance man holding a long list of rooms to attend to that day so perhaps that's why.

I ordered room service for my evening meal, just soup and a panini. I was told it would take 20 minutes, I chased it after 45 minutes and 15 minutes later was about to ring again and cancel because I wanted to go to bed, when it arrived. The menu refers to the hotel's "famous" panini, I can only think they must be famous for their horribleness - similar to the doughy microwaved tasteless gunk you get on bargain flights. The soup had spilled everywhere but it didn't matter too much as it was the smallest bowl of soup I've ever seen so it didn't make much mess. The room service waiter was very pleasant but I didn't want to chat while I ate my food!

The check in girl was the most miserable person in the hotel, her face would have cracked if she'd smiled. She'd forgotten to stamp my room card to say I'd left a credit card for expenses and this caused further delay and disruption when signing for my room service. The same girl was on the desk in the morning and she was smiling but only to other hotel staff while she ignored the guests, she really was very irritating.

The breakfast was cheap bacon which had been left warm too long, some rubbery eggs, lukewarm tomatoes and beans and some lukewarm fruit. The toast was nice. The waiters were too few but did their best. Don't wait to be seated they haven't got the staff.

The general decor was faded, shabby, and stuck in the 80's. I can't think what would possess anyone to have their wedding reception here unless it's very cheap. It was packed with the blue rinse brigade on coach trips who seemed to be happy enough but I felt sorry for them really.

I will never stay in Manchester again when there is a big event on in case I get stuck in this hotel! Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2010

When we first pulled up to the hotel, it looks quite nice on the outside, set off a main road with a small forest surrounding it, and there was a wedding going on as we pulled up..... we were initially impressed, untill...... we go to our room!!

Do not go to this hotel! It is truely horrendous! I stayed here with 3 friends in 2 seperate rooms. The rooms have a terrible decor and layout. I had chewing gum on my light next to my bed, my friends in the room next door had bird poo on their light shade! How do you get bird poo on an inside light?! The staff on reception spoke no english and were just rude! We asked them a question and they just grunted and ignored us! There was half a wardrobe door missing and the beds were uneven and uncomfortable! The window in the room was tiny and only opened a fraction!

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS! We got this 'Overnight Stay' free as part of a package holiday - if i would have seen the reviews before hand i would never have gone!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2010

On arrival the car park (s) are numerous and full........if you find a spot you are lucky. It is used as an airport car park, we parked under some trees on the entrance drive, signs everywhere warning of car thieves!
The male receptionist who checked us in was less than friendly, he just looked at us as if we must speak and then went through the check in process without any kind of interaction or politeness - he wasn't rude but he certainly wasn't nice, he needs a job away from the public because he clearly doesn't like us.
Now for the room, 1970s decor, an odd arrangement of pictures from a number of decades and very tired furniture. The jacuzzi bath was held in place by masses of mouldy silicone filler, and behind the door they'd even used a screw (stuck out at an angle) to stop the side of the bath popping out, as for the jacuzzi bit, that didn't do anything more than blow a small amount of air out. There was a sign in the bathroom telling you to shut the door because steam set off the fire alarm and we would evacuate the hotel, the problem was there was no extractor fan and so you ended up in a steam room.
The bed was of limited comfort, travelodge is better. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone until it is closed, refurbished totally and the staff get customer relationship training. It was a relief to check out.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mark5554
Reviewed 27 September 2010

we booked 5 rooms for what should have been a once in a lifetime family occasion.3 couples arrived at 1400 and were booked in.we told them the other couples ,one of them with a month old baby,would arrive at 1700.no problem they said.when they tried to book in their rooms were no longer available but they would see what they could do.
two and a half hours later they had overbooked 16 rooms .another half hour later they found a double room with no mattress which my son and wife were forced to take,the one helpful member of staff providing them with 3 duvets to sleep on.
my grandson,wife and 4 week old baby were offered an alternative hotel 16 miles away.
this was so obviously unacceptable they had no alternative but to go home.
to add insult to injury they charged our credit card the full price for all 5 rooms.\\Nearly a month later,after several letters and numerous phone calls ,we have had no refund,no apology from the general manager.
I presume he has now told his staff not to put my calls through to him .Either that or he really is in a meeting all day every day.The head office spokesperson say they have no control over what the general managers of their hotel do and cannot intervene.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank alanbibby
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I decided to come and stay here with my boyfriend as a birthday treat, I saw on the website that they had rooms with jacuzzi baths and wide screen televisions so was very excited. I rang up the number on their website and booked using my credit card.
We spent 30mins looked for a parking space and ended up under a tree surrounded by a marsh we entered the hotel and were told they had no rooms left, we explained that we had already booked and paid for this and the VERY unhelpful and unfriendly receptionist told us it was hard luck the hotel was full and as we could see there were two functions going on so the rooms had been given first come first serve. They offered us a twin room in the back end of nowhere which looked like it had come out of a 1930s war film so we refused, got our money back and went somewhere else.
I wrote a letter of complaint including my address and handed it into the horrible receptionist and have not heard back from them.
I do not think it is unreasonable to expect the room you requested when you have booked and paid for it.
NEVER GO NEAR THIS PLACE - awful service, awful organisation, awful decor and I could go on...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple