“Great city centre-based hotel”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Wanted to stay somewhere central and nice in Manchester. Got a very reasonable deal by booking a few weeks in advance.

The hotel is on a very busy junction in the city centre, but the noise was hardly noticeable in the room thanks to the windows. The air con in every room means you needn't worry about keeping the windows shut on warm nights either just to keep the noise out.

Room was huge, king size bed was very comfortable too.

Staff were very friendly throughout, and had a great selection of meals for breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor upwards probably benefit from less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A M
There are newer reviews for Townhouse Hotel Manchester

Reviewed 22 September 2011

We have just returned from a weekend away at the Townhouse and our overall impression was really good. Although there were 1 or 2 areas we thought they could improve on, but these are only minor niggles.

Like others, we did struggle to find the hotel initially as there was no obvious signage. However once inside, check in was smooth and we were allocated a room on the 5th (top) floor. The room itself was modern with all the amenities you would need and expect, including an impressive flat screen tv – the only thing missing was an IPod dock. The bathroom was functional rather than stylish, and overall I would definitely say the rooms do not fit into the “boutique-style” as alluded to on their website. Throughout our stay, the room was kept immaculate. Being on the 5th floor, we were not overly troubled by street noise. However our friends on the 2nd floor had a very disturbed night as their room overlooked a club which got very noisy at closing time.

Our rate, which we found cheaper through a hotel broker than on the Macdonald website, included breakfast with the Full English being freshly prepared each morning rather than being served buffet style – a big plus in my book. The ingredients for the cooked breakfast were of a high quality, especially the black pudding. The rest of the breakfast was a just your standard continental fayre, nothing overly special. Overall, the breakfast just about justified its hefty price tag. Our only issue was that the breakfast service was a little chaotic on the Sunday morning, with orders getting mixed up, plates not being cleared between courses and breads and pastries not being replenished. However all issues were resolved when they were pointed out.

The bad points of the hotel are that the 5th floor landing stank of smoke, the smell seemingly coming from the carpet. The smell was not noticeable elsewhere, so I am not sure what would be causing that. Also, the door to the rooms (at least on the 5th floor) did not auto-shut, meaning you had to really slam them closed, not good at 3 in the morning when your neighbours come home. Finally, the shower kept running out of water during the morning – I also don’t think the shower was a monsoon shower like advertised. As a guy, I didn’t really appreciate the lavender toiletries, something a bit more metro-sexual required please !

Despite the minor complaints, this is a great place to base yourself for a weekend break in Manchester with the shops, China Town, Gay Village and Northern Quarter all within easy reach of the hotel. A final word must go to the reception team, who were all really helpful and friendly during our stay and made us feel most welcom

Room Tip: Higher floor seemed less noisy
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gary1974
Reviewed 22 September 2011

If you want superb service oppulance and luxury at affordable prices this is the place to stay great location too refurbishment has done this place proud best power shower ever too

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank Chasey544
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This hotel is centrally located about 7-10min walk from Manchester Piccadilly Station (major train station) and 5min walk from Piccadilly Gardens (bus depot). The rooms are very well appointed with flat screen TV, spacious layout and luxurious bedding & furnishings; I was also impressed by the layout of the bathroom, which was spacious with both bath and shower, and had adequate space by the sink for all your guest toiletries etc. There was an individual control for air conditioning in the room so we could adjust our optimal temperature. Hot breakfast is cooked to order. Service at main reception is very friendly and professional, I was able to print out many pages for my conference (for a small fee) in no time at all. I would definitely go back again, and recommend to others who are visiting for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank silvermoss28
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night as we were attending Alan Carr Live at the MEN Arena! It took us about 20 minutes to find the hotel dispite the walk back to the car park being only 3 minutes! The hotel was very hard to find, as many other reviews have stated!

Once we FINALLY found the hotel, we were checked in very quickly and the hotel staff were lovely and friendly, they asked if we would like breakfast but did not tell us how much the breakfast would cost and what times it was searved! They did tell us after us asking, I just thought it was odd to offer us breakfast without mentioning the times it was served as most hotels do upon arrival. We were issued a room on floor 5 and told how to get to the lift, although not told which way to go out of the lift. This wasn't a major deal though as it was easy enough to navigate our way around!

The carpet on the ground floor up to the lifts was in dire need of a vacum, although we didn't check in until 4pm so people walking over it all day was probably the cause of this and it wasn't as bad the next morning!

Once in the room the initial reaction was that it was a very good room. We expected a standard room, and one of the lower standard, standard rooms at that, as we booked at a discount rate though laterooms.com and paid £87 for the night, with the regular rate being around £130 we were plesently surprised with the room. The room included a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, a tea and coffee tray, (including two buscuits, 2 cups, 2 teaspoons, 2 breakfast tea bags, one earl gray tea bag, one green tea teabag, a mixture of decaf and standard coffee, four milks and a kettle.) two glasses in the bathroom, two glasses in the room, one bottle of water (I would have expected two bottles of water for the two glasses provided!) In the bathroom there was a box of tissues and two rolls of toilet roll, which was good as I had a cold and needed it! Included toiletries were a shower cap, soap, bath and shower gel and a shampoo. Only one towel was provided, which was a bit odd as it was a double room, we didn't mind sharing the towel I just would have expected there to be two.

There were 3 large windows in the room but they started around shoulder height and went up to the roof! There was a telephone stating the numbers to call nationally, internationally and other rooms but no mention of how to call reception. A note pad and pen was left by the phone which was a nice touch. No menus for the hotel were in the room and no room service menu (not that we knew how to call reception if there was!) but there were several (2010) brochures for the Macdonald chain. Room was an okay size, not small not big, although the bathroom was quite large.

The bed was unbelievably comfortable! I didn't want to get out in the morning! The duvet was also thick but not too warm and perfect. Pillows were okay, but could be a bit thicker. The noise from the streets (people on a night out, taxi drivers beeping...) however, did cause a slight problem, which I know the hotel has no control over, I just thought I would comment on the noise level even though it is expected of a city centre hotel. The room was incredibly clean, there was a bit of dust under the TV but apart from that it was spotless! (And no, I didn't pick up the flatscreen to check, It was mounted on the wall)

Other reviews have stated poor lighting/lack of mirrors/ bust bulbs/broken chairs.. none of this applied to us, There were several mirrors, plenty of lighting and three chairs. The website does state however, that there is a nespresso maker and an iPod docking station, this was not the case in our room which was a shame as I didn't bring my dicking station for this fact. Another odd fact was that we couldn't find a 'do not disturb' sign.

Breakfast in the morning was brilliant, staff were attentive and plentiful. The breakfast was £12.50 each which on first hearing I thought was expensive but after the meal I thought it was good value as I have spent more on breakfasts out for less food. The breakfast consisted of unlimited tea and coffe, a continental breakfast buffet (including; cereal, pastries, cheeses, meats, fruit juices, yogurts, muffins, breads, spreads...) a cooked breakfast (2 slices bacon, 1 sausage, quarter slice fried bread, spoon full of beans, an egg, half a tomato and a small mushroom) so for £12.50 you were certainly set up for the day! The bar area looked lovely - I just wish we were there long enough to try it out.

Check out was quick and friendly! Overall the hotel was lovely and I would recommend it to anyone, just a few things overlooked and need to be corrected.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SJW-N90
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I booked an overnighter for two and when I walked into the room I was extremely pleased with the quality, the luxury & the panoramic view of the city(two adjoining windows in this quite large corner room)
The lighting was beautiful changing coloured spot lights ..great entertainment Ipod dock and lcd tv ...room service was excellent friendly and attentive staff..i will use every time H

Room Tip: try and get a corner room where you can get a two sided veiw
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

My first stay here and I was very impressed. From the moment of checking in, to checking out, the staff were helpful and friendly. I got the impression that genuinely, nothing was too much trouble. The room was very comfortable and well appointed.
The breakfast was delicious and a welcome change from many substandard hotel breakfasts.
The hotel is perfectly situated for an evening out with a choice of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance and Chinatown, just across the road.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business