“Terrible Time at the Townhouse”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #48 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Check-in was swift and professional. The positive experience unfortunately stopped there.
I was assigned a room on the 3rd. Floor - next to the lifts. There was no initial issue but I was woken up some time during the night by a couple of late-night guests who had a fairly lively conversation outside the lift from which they had just disembarked - and outside my bedroom too.
The bedroom had been serviced earlier that day - partially.
A previous guest's newspaper and half-empty bottled water had been left on a table by the window. The window itself offered no view as the glass was opaque from top to bottom - very unusual. There was a lot of noise from the street below which seemed to dissipate around one o'clock in the morning. I could not identify exactly where the noise was coming from due to the opaque glass.
In the en suite bathroom, there were no toiletries - except some shampoo and soap which a previous guest had used & left at the end of the bath.
I was pushed for time that evening and therefore did not mention these 'issues' with the Front Desk staff on duty. However, on checking out the following morning, I was asked how my stay was and I did take the time to download the areas highlighted above. The chap behind Reception was embarrassed and he did apologize. But I won't be back.

Room Tip: Try another hotel in Manchester.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JimBlandings

Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a half term holiday

Firstly, the good points. If this was based on the hotel alone, I probably would be giving closer to a 5. We stayed in an executive room, which was just enormous. It featured a 12 foot window (with thick curtains!) and the most soft and comfortable bed, with proper bed linen - no fiddly sheets! The bathroom featured a (tiny!) bath as well as a stand up shower, along with prestige toiletries. I loved the imaginative decor of green walls, a shiny all-black bathroom and a modern picture of the Manchester skyline painted on the wall, this was such a great change from your standard creams and floral pictures. It had a modern kettle and a 2000w hairdryer, as well as a huge TV. My only quibbles here were that for an exec room you really expect robes, the coffee selection was very limited and the biscuits tiny!! Overall though a luxurious room in a great location.

Having said all of this I still wouldn't stay there again and that is down to the poor staff who continued to make us feel uncomfortable and frustrated on every occasion we needed to deal with them. A big problem with this hotel is that it is so hard to find - you have to look for signs for The Princess Hotel as these haven't been taken down yet, and only a few hard-to-spot posters in the window tell you it is actually the Townhouse. My husband and I were looping around the busy city centre street over and over, so I decided to phone the hotel. I explained where we were, and rather than help (it wouldn't have taken much to tell us about the sign to look for!) the receptionist put me through to the concierge, who wasn't there. Then when I phoned the same woman again I was asked my name and the name of the reservation before I could be given help - the whole time of which we were just going round and round!!!! A terrible first impression!

This hotel seems to have forgotten how important a friendly welcome is - the receptionist was efficient, but there were no smiles, asking how the journey was or any such niceties - the reception was empty, so this would have cost her nothing. Another example of a lack of helpfulness came when we asked if they could recommend a decent French restaurant in the city - the first lady said "ask him" and literally ran away! We then queued for about 8 minutes to speak to who I assume was the manager, who also said he didn't know and maybe we should ask at the bar - thus queueing again!!! Them not knowing is one thing, it is a new hotel, but to not even call around or help in any way, it was so uncaring! In the end we used a smartphone to find out and ended up walking miles to a place that was closed down - this just shows how important this hotel service is!!! As we checked out we hoped they might redeem themselves but no, there were 4 people behind the desk, 1 couple in front of us, no problems for that couple, and still we have to wait over 5 minutes!!!

Some readers of this may think I sound terribly haughty and whingeing, but I firmly believe that good service is so important and must be expected, it's part of what you pay for in higher star hotels and it is what makes a good hotel experience a great one. What a shame then that the staff at the Macdonald that we met seem to have forgotten this. It was just lazy, gormless, thoughtless, faceless service that for us really let down what is in fact a great hotel.

Room Tip: Look for signs to the Princess Hotel - That's the Macdonald Townhouse!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JillyLeicester
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Wonderful hotel hidden in the city centre, provides good value for money, clean and bright, have stayed there now several times and loved each one of them. I definitely reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: get an executive room if you can, the corner rooms overlooking Princess Street are great if you want...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I booked this hotel for a weekend in Manchester to go watch a game at old Trafford. I did not know much about the city beforehand but I was really surprised and happy with this find. The staff were extremely friendly, helped us with directions, public transport information, booking taxis, use of umbrellas.

The room was a little bit on the small side but otherwise clean, modern, warm and cosy.

Great location, walking distance to main station and to deans gate where we had a great steak dinner at gauchos,

Breakfast wasn't anything spectacular but they served hot dishes freshly cooked to each table by order rather than having the hot food sitting on a table as in a usual buffet style.

Would definitely return to this hotel if in Manchester again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Reasonable room and linen, bed very soft; very basic (unlike price); good wifi. However, shower so bad it was unusable (had to use tiny bath), common areas smelt and dark; lot of noise from passing traffic (not double glazed and windows don't open. Doors closed at 23.00 without telling guests, so standing outside in the rain with locals vomiting on pavement struggling to get in. Would have been almost ok if expectations properly set and reasonable rate, but paid boutique prices for sub-IBIS facilities.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Nick D
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stayed at the hotel Sat 6th August for one night with my fiancee
The hotel is right on the corner of Portland Street - used to be Princess Hotel I think.
Check in was swift and the room was fab!. Huge room, air con, lovely bathroom with both bath and shower. Had a drink in the bar - lovely spacious modern hotel. Staff very good and friendly.
Hotel is clean and literally over the road from China town

Location is great - walking distance to bars, shops and restuarants.
Can't wait to go back there.
All is all a very nice experience.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Firstly this hotel is difficult to find, it still has old signs from previous hotel. No indication that it is MacDonald hotel. It is in a great central location. Initially impressed - staff working in the afternoon were professional and couldn't fault the service. Food in the restaurant was very good. When we came back from our night out greeted by wretched row of woman singing very badly to backing tapes in the bar. Just really dreadful, music so loud difficult to talk. Staff in the evening were totally different. I couldn't get served at the bar - staff kept walking off. When I sought help from man at reception he was most disgruntled and not helpful at all.

Rooms are good size and of a reasonable standard. This hotel is expensive for what you get. Certainly not a luxury break more of a crash pad whilst in town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple