“Still Deciding”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel overnight on Saturday 25 February. It was a birthday present from my son and his family and I was so looking forward to it having stayed in McDonald hotels before.

The decor, ambience and the bedroom was fabulous. Beautifully decorated with lovely soft furnishings. The staff on reception were very very helpful and accommodating. That said I really can't be any more positive.

After returning to the hotel for a night cap we were kept waiting for over half an hour for drinks. This was not the fault of the bar person, more a logistical problem due to under staffing. We complained and a resolve was reached.

Our room was at the back of the hotel. The bottom half of the window was frosted glass which was off putting. However, having walked around the back the next morning we began to understand why. There was an alley round the back with a night club which would explain why music was still playing at 3 am and people were shouting and bawling into the early hours. The alley was disgustingly smelly and littered with all kinds of debris. Needless to say we didn't have a very peaceful nights sleep despite going away for a relaxing break.

Breakfast came in at £17.25 which was extortionate to say the very least considering there were several eateries around the area which offered decent food at sensible prices.

As I said at the beginning I am still deciding about this hotel - I didn't find it anywhere near the usual standard for a McDonalds hotel. I won't be discouraged by this experience and will use the hotel chain again, just not in Manchester. I appreciate some people who have stayed there will find this review very negative. However, I am an honest person and would hate anyone to pay £116 (room only) per night and be as disappointed as my husband and I were. In conclusion - stayed in better, paid much less.

Room Tip: Check if the room you are given is at the back of the hotel - if so, ask to change immediately espec...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Townhouse Hotel Manchester

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The room wasn't ready on our arrival, but reception handled it well and gave us free drinks in the bar. The room was large and warm, but we had a Superior room that was supposed to include dressing gowns and none were in the room. The bathroom was lovely, but very dark, so difficult to see for putting on make up!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kerrance1
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay. Huge bed and a good size room. The hotel was fairly close to railway station and central to lots of bars and restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it.

1  Thank PAT190737
Reviewed 18 February 2012

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, nothing was too much trouble!!!
Staff very friendly, courteous and attention to detail. Suggestions and ideas to spending time in Manchester provided by maps and directions and the little quirky bits to see and do!!
Food and service in restaurant and bar exceptional and also on the check-in desk (Thanks Andrew and Sasha)
Recommend to anybody who wants to chill out!!
See you again soon, thanks

1  Thank Trevor R
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at the MacDonald Townhouse last weekend with my wife, brother and his girlfriend. I was looking forward to our stay at the hotel as I like MacDonald hotels.

From the moment we turned up I felt disappointed. I'll start with the negatives and then go onto the positives.

Firstly we struggled to find the hotel, it's not easy to find. We arrived at the hotel at about 16:30 and were told our room wasn't ready. Bearing in mind that check in is at 14:00 I think this is unacceptable after a three and a half hour drive. We were given a drink in the bar and told to wait in there until our room was ready. I wasn't impressed with the bar area. It was dark and very sparse looking. I was hoping for a welcoming, relaxing bar area and it wasn't. We were there for 45 minutes and no one had come over to us. I went and enquired at reception and thankfully our room was ready. I don't know why someone couldn't have come and told us it was ready. The only other real negative was the service later in the evening. We ran down to reception and then room service asking for some tea/coffee cups. We were told on both occasions that they'd be brought up to our room but they never arrived. These are little things that could have easily not happened and would have made our stay more enjoyable.

On the positive side the room we had was pretty good. Nice comfy bed with a flat screen tv with all the freeview tv channels. The bathroom again was pretty good with a decent (although not powerful) shower and lovely warm towel rail.

I must add that I emailed the hotel just to pass on my thoughts and the manager replied the next day apologising. Whenever a manager does this I think this is a sign of good service and I appreciated the quick response. It's just a shame they couldn't have shown better service when we were there.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in an executive room, overall enjoyable stay and sizeable room. Few niggles with bottled water and facecloth not being replaced every day but mentioned to reception and was put right quickly.
I ate in the restaurant twice and it was deathly quiet, however I had a lot of work to do so didn't mind. Breakfast is cooked to order and was delicious. Signage isn't ideal outside, however having read these reviews I knew this in advance.
I travel to Manchester regularly and will definately choose to stay here again.
Clean, modern, good value and really helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2012

just spent a night at this fantastic hotel, just wished we could have stayed longer, from the moment we arrived we just knew we had found a little gem of a hotel, check in was fast and effeciant , our room was spotless and very comfortable, the bed was huge with six fluffy pillows , i just did,nt want to get up.breakfast was amazing with a large choice of food on offer,worth every penny i can assure you , the staff at this hotel are very warm and proffesional,nothing was to much for them,we will definatley be returning soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple