“Lovely hotel”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed here on a Sunday night. Ideal location for northern quarter, Chinatown, deans gate .. Very pleasant staff, reception staff very helpful. Rooms fantastic. Large beds and big flat screen tele. Will defo stay here again ...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is a nice enough hotel. Tastefully refurbished, roomy accommodation and bathroom, and lovely staff. However, the price of the breakfast takes the shine off it slightly. I suppose they charge it because a lot of people stay here on business and their employers will pay it. We ate at Piccadilly Station on the way home, £3.99 and perfectly adequate. I'm not being tight; I just find it disappointing.

We couldn't work out how to adjust the heating, which made the room uncomfortably hot.

The staff really are lovely, though.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here for two nights whilst on business in Manchester. I would say this is an average experience which is to some extent commensurate with the price of the room, which was just about okay for one person, two, would be pushing it a bit, as there was only 'one' of everything: one shower gel, one shampoo, one biscuit, one shower cap etc AND ONLY ONE CHAIR! Where is the second person supposed to sit? The chair issue made the stay uncomfortable - additionally, it was a swivel tub like high chair, which was very uncomfortable after being on one's feet all day.
I had a third floor room overlooking the street. There was not a peep from the other guest rooms but the noise of traffic (all night) resounding through the walls and double glazing made it difficult to sleep. It was almost like sleeping on top of a nightclub. I think that external noise insulation should be considered. Also please address the ONE OF EVERYTHING issue. Cleaning is an issue, the room was dusty and a little grubby. Surrounding area is a little iffy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and address the ONE OF EVERYTHING issue as soon as you get there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed over Easter 2012, this was our third stay in six months and consequently we were given a room upgrade - to a suite. The standard rooms are fine, clean, comfortable and well equipped with the most comfy beds and pillows in any hotel. The suite was brilliant, having a seperate lounge was a plus, a nespresso coffee machine and huge tv. The bathroom had seperate shower cubicle two washbasins, bathrobes and slippers. The bedroom had a huge bed, extra pillows and lots of space to move around in. We only had breakfast on our stay and we've always found it fine, plenty of choice and always perfectly presented with efficient service - Sundays are often a bit slow due to many guests having room service but they warn you of this in the public areas. The staff are so friendly and helpful we probably would'nt consider staying anywhere else when in Manchester. Many thanks to Andrew (reception) for the room upgrade x x

Room Tip: All floors have some traffic noise but the lower floors also have some A/C unit noise. Suites have...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Took my family here for my daughters birthday after it was recommended by a friend. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Couldn't ask for nicer staff. Dan and Harvey were great couldn't do anything more for you.

We dined in the restaurant, the food was amazing the steak was cooked perfectly and my husband really enjoyed the Lamb. I'm looking forward to going again and would recommend this restaurant/hotel to everybody.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Room was very good. Clean and spacious. Bathroom OK, but no soap or Shower Gel.
On the first morning had to wait 35 minutes for Englsih Breakfast. Everyone that came to the Dining room received theirs´first. Even offered to go in the kitchen and cook it myself !
Generally, I had the feeling that the Hotel is understaffed. Even calling reception from my room I waited 10 minutes without a reply. I assume the ONE girl on the desk was tending to check-ins and outs.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room at the back. Colleagues changed rooms because of noise late at night
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Arrived at the hotel less than a 10 minute wander from the train station, we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist (Rebecca - who seemed to be on duty 24/7 and always had a smile on her face).

Positives of the hotel:
Central location, found it really easily not sure what all the other reviewers were on about. Obviously can't read a map!
Friendly receptionist.
Room was large and spacious, with a four piece bathroom suite. Our room was on the 5th floor we heard a little of the traffic below but it is the price you pay for central locations.

Negatives:
We ate in the resturant on our first evening, food wasn't the best not sure if that was due to it being a Sunday night.
Breakfast on our first two days was very good (although my husband did moan that he only got half a slice of black pudding). On our final day breakfast was terrible, toast that wasn't toasted (so technically bread!), bacon and mushrooms burnt, sausages pink in the middle and poached eggs so poached they were hard boiled egg. To disguise the burn pepper was put all over dish - somepeople don't like pepper. I waited about 5 minute to speak to somebody about my breakfast but nobodyw was around so I left the breakfast un-eaten. Additionally every morning I had to check at least three bowls before pouring cereal in, bad dishwashing!

Would I go back - if I got a really good rate for the central location, would I pay £17.50 for breakfast NO!

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple