“Great staff”

Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
North Ayrshire, United Kingdom
“Great staff”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

The hotel is comfortable and stylish but its greatest asset has to be the reception staff. Very friendly and professional. Obviously very well trained. Would stay again. Didn't eat there so can't comment on restaurant.

Room Tip: The higher floors are probably quieter and have views.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Hungarian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Quite centrally located 10mins from oxford road, the christmas market or the Arndale centre this nice little hotel is very well located. Its modern decor welcomed us in from the cold manchester streets and the friendly staff got us up to our room without any real hassle. (The stairs to get to the lobby from the front door were unwelcome and could cause difficulty for access but in spite of this the first impression was one of it being worth paying a bit extra for). Its a shame then that after rushing out as soon as we arrived we didn't notice the problems with the otherwise well decorated room. When we got back in later on we ralised that the Shower leaked from the ceiling through holes in the paintwork when turned on and there were Spindles on the tap missing even the spinning chair was unstable this then spoiled an otherwise well designed room. I can't say there was much else wrong with our stay but it was a shame that these things weren't spotted and fixed earlier on. The staff seemed concerned at this and Im sure it will be fixed for future guests.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel in February 2012.

Our room overlooked Portland Street so was quite noisy. Other than that the only gripe I could have is it had just been taken over by Macdonald, and so was not well signposted - it still carried Best Western logos and took us ages to find!

Really nice warm welcome. Staff couldn't do enough for us. Lovely room. Great service. Breakfast was cooked to order and brought to the table - huge choice of whatever you wanted.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay in this hotel. Went to Manchester for the Christmas market, had a wonderful weekend made even better by the hotel. We arrived quiet late and they where more than accommodating for us both. After settling in, they open the bar for us and we had a good laugh with the staff. The following evening on our way out I fell down the stairs. All the staff where excellent making sure I was alright, and could walk asking if they could get anything, nothing was too much. We also upgraded for £10 a night and the room we had was fab. Top floor, lovely views, and bed was lovely and comfy, and shower was fab. So good, already looking at taking my mum here in March for her birthday.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 1 December 2012

What a gem of a hotel. Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel as a base for our Christmas shopping trip in Manchester.
The staff were very warm and welcoming and couldn’t have been more helpful. The hotel is modern and even though it is a small hotel it still feels top class.
Our room was spacious with a great view of the city, the breakfast was very good and we chose to have it on room service. The only fault, if I were to be picky, is that the bathroom is all black and due to this it felt very, very dark and even though it has modern fittings it does feel dated.
I have read previous comments on here about the noise, we did not experience this at all and as the hotel is situated in the middle of the city, you would except some noise.
We normally stay at the Midland hotel when we are in Manchester and I would consider the Macdonald Town house our second favourite hotel in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

The Big Mac in the title is the other Macdonald around the corner, and is referred to as such.

I love staying here. There is always a friendly greeting and they have on a number of occasions put extra effort in to help out. Once I arrived and discovered I wasn't booked in. The booking company we use had got the dates wrong. The chap on reception said don't worry, we will look after your bags and contact the booking firm for you. It was all sorted within minutes and he rang me to let me know. The first time I stayed was during the riots last year, and they had boarded up the windows and doors. The bar staff were all very chatty and putting people at ease.

This time when I arrived they had decorated for Christmas and were offering warm mince pies, hot chocolate and little chocolates wrapped in foil. The restaurant manager recognises me now, and when I explained that I may need to stay another night, he offered to try and get a room at a sister hotel for me. Everywhere nearby was booked up due to a football match. As it turned out I didn't need the extra night as the training was cancelled for the following day.

The rooms are beautiful, the location excellent and the staff brilliant. The food is really good too. I've eaten a couple of times at night, and although not cheap, it is fab. The breakfasts are really good as well. There is free WiFi everywhere.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Sunderland
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stopped here on business, I can not fault this hotel at all, the room was big a spacious, exactly what you see on the pictures, bathroom perfect after a stressful day, the staff were dead helpful as I had never been to Manchester before and couldn't help me enough to get myself around. Only down fall was the bar, the bar man did not know how to make a cocktail, told me it was the 1st time he had made a cocktail, and tasted of pure alcohol. There is also no gym or spa facilitys in this hotel, which would of topped it of to be a brilliant hotel. But all in all I will make sure I stay back in this hotel when I return back to Manchester.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business