“Well-located, good value and great service”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #45 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Well-located, good value and great service”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a base to visit our daughter at the university as well as proximity into the town centre. It was a great location and the accommodation was very spacious for the price, based on my past experience of hotels in Manchester in this area.
The aspect that made this hotel special was the personal service we received. Every member of staff was polite, courteous and responded very quickly to any help we needed.
Good value, good location with excellent clean accommodation and extremely helpful hotel staff make this a good choice.
My only word of caution is that it does get noisy outside, particularly on a Friday and Saturday night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank srejtt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed at the MacDonald hotel on 16th July as a special 15 year wedding anniversary break to see a show.
I'd spent some time looking at hotels and reviews before picking this hotel and glad I did!
What a little gem of a hotel this is. As previous reviews say, the staff are very welcoming.
We arrived early in the day and I'd checked in advance to see whether we could check in early to go on to do some shopping.Throughout the whole process of booking and arranging the couple of days stay, I had the pleasure of dealing with the manager James.
Great guy and a very big thanks for the extra work he did at making this stay as great as it was.
Will be sure to come again and recommend it to everyone. The aircon in the room was a lifesaver in the great summer we're having!

On to the restaurant, and I had again done my checking to see what restaurants were nearby and able to provide a 5pm seating, to allow enough time to get to the theater. Must be honest and say when I saw the 101 Brasserie review, I didn't realize it was actually at our hotel (yes I'm numb!)
Quick email to James had the table booked with time to spare for the walk to the theater. Food and service was exceptional and had the pleasure of James sit with us for a chat.

Staff all well informed and great service.

I termed this hotel the diamond in the rough as when you get through the door to the hotel, you are taken away from the outside world and find yourself in a relaxed comfy hotel, with good food and great service.

Our pleasure in staying with you and some brownie points on the board for me with the wife!

Room Tip: We booked the suite for size and as it was a special occasion. Lounge, bathroom, bedroom - magic!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed here for about 5 nights in June 2013 with my 12-year old daughter. This hotel had one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in a hotel in my whole life. No kidding.

As is common with old renovated buildings, front desk and elevators can be in weird locations. But that's fine, it is easy to adapt to. Elevators worked well getting into and out of the hotel. Buffet breakfast was great. Good selection of fruits, yogurts or else the full English. Good coffee too.

The downside of this hotel is that bathrooms are black granite. Sure they look fantastic but the light is so bright white, it creates shadows and so was difficult to put on makeup! I had to put on makeup in the other room to see what I was doing. The hairdryer was very good, btw.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Macdonald Manchester is a bit difficult to get into, the main entrance is around the side with a lift to reception. Once you've arrived it's all good. Really nice reception staff and comfortable rooms. I got a standard room which was small but not too small, good bathroom though and a comfortable bed. There was a bit of noise from the road outside but bearable. The restaurant is great although on the pricey side. I got a deal with breakfast and that was a success. Best breakfast in Manchester no doubt, worth the price. The bar area is a bit busy with business types using it for meetings which is a bit annoying but not surprising. Local secure parking is fine and at £6 per night well priced.

Room Tip: If you can avoid a room at the front of the hotel for a quiet(er) night. Do go for the excellent bre...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here from 11-14 July for a city break. On arrival the reception is at a strange position where you have to carry your luggage up stairs and the same again to get to the lifts. There was a power cut on the Saturday meaning lifts out of order and nothing given to compensate - just a letter. The front desk staff were nice. There was a girl in particular who checked us in - she was very nice. Facilities in the hotel were average - the room was quite small and visible dust at high levels as well as the poorest quality wardrobe! Bathroom is basic with the shower screen causing a nice puddle on the floor. Good central location is the only good thing about the hotel. Hotel bar was poor - poor seating and I was given a dirty glass for beer which I left on the bar. Disappointing that it is part of a large group of hotels. Definitely NOT LUXURY!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 506 - you could hear traffic all night!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnnyMcComb
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear JohnnyMcComb,

Thank you for your comments. I do apologise if there were any shortfalls in the high standards for which we are known and often praised. I am disappointed that you were not able to experience or appreciate the service and quality of the hotel.

The Duty Manager was most pleased to make himself available to speak to him personally should there be any concerns which may have arisen during the hour that the professionals worked to successfully resolve the power issue. It is a shame that you did not avail yourself of the opportunity as presented in the personally addressed letters presented to each and every guest.

The positive response from many of our guests and their understanding, demonstrated a great appreciation for the manner in which the team efficiently and appropriately managed the unforeseen and unexpected power spike on what proved to be one of the hottest days of the year.

I reiterate the invitation to contact either the Duty Manager or myself directly in the interest of further mutual clarity of your concerns.

Regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here with my husband for a short shopping trip. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and were on hand to answer any questions. We upgraded to an executive room which had a lovely comfortable (huge) bed and a spacious and modern en suite. Was definitely worth the money. The location is just wonderful literally a 5 minute walk from the main stations and a further 5 minute straight road walk into town. We payed an extra £35 for late checkout as our train was in the evening back to Glasgow. Definitely going to stay here again really enjoyed my stay and will make sure this hotel is my first choice for my next trip to Manchester.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear shoppaholicx,

Thank you for taking the time to praise the team.

I am so pleased that you realised the value for money in upgrading your room and that you took advantage of a little extra time spent. It is a true convenience for many guests who opt to enjoy all of the great shopping which is only steps away.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Warm regards,

Warrington
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I return to this hotel on a regular basis. Its simply the best hotel in Manchester. It has all the usual Macdonald refinements , superb rooms, food etc. The Staff make this hotel exceptional they look after us so well, nothing is too much for them to go well beyond the call of duty. If I win the lottery Im going to live here.

Room Tip: All very good rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear MDJ63,

Thank you. What fantastic compliments. It is always wonderful to hear acknowledgment of the team and the art of service which they so enjoy.

We look forward to your return and I would ask that you please introduce your self on a future visit as I would like to say hello and thank you in person.

Warm regards,