“Great hotel - pity about the service!”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #45 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed for one night for a birthday celebration. Room not ready at 2pm on arrival x but offered complimentary drink +, tea served instead of coffee x, pleasant receptionist and table booked for early dining to get to theatre. Suite excellent and clean ++ though carpet could be better x . Arrived for dinner but no booking xx asked for menu and after 20 mins managed to get set menu as well as a la carte x . Complimentary prosecco offered after ordered drinks arrived x/+ . On tight time scale so ordered main and desert. Meal started 50 mins after booked time x. Steak ok, crispy duck bland x . Booked taxi through reception and on time + . Later on ... bar steward did not know the difference between bitter and lager x . Nibbles not offered x. Plenty of pillows and comfortable bed so decent night's sleep +. Breakfast at 9am, order taken at 9.40! X by which time coffee and toast cold...x . On checkout bill wrong x but sorted by reception +. Overall very enjoyable stay but could have been great if staff (who were very courteous ) had been properly trained, communicated properly and kept their mind on the job and requests that were made.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear daffin

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience to the level that you should have. I would have certainly wished to have spoken to you while you were visiting with us. It is a shame that we did not have the opportunity to do so as direct comments are always most effective in permitting us to ensure that our guests are satisfied and also that they appreciate the service for which we are proudly known.

I encourage you to please contact me directly to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a pleasant city cemtre hotel, a short walk from Piccadilly centre. Its locted right next to Chinatown, and very close to Canal Street. Its slightly quirky but clean and pleasant. Breakfast can ber a bit of an ordeal, very dependant upon the staff on duty.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank andys-biking

Dear andys-biking,

Thank you for your comments. Please accept our apologies for any lapses in our generally high standards. I have addressed your comments with the team and we have reviewed and refreshed the training as required.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

A very smart hotel in the centre of Manchester. The staff were all very polite and welcoming. The room was very clean and the bed utterly comfortable; I even overslept in the morning! All the communal areas are well decorated and are a very pleasant place to be. The hotel is part of a chain but retains a boutique and cosy feel.

The only downsides are the location and possibly some areas of service. I managed to arrive at breakfast, seat myself, help myself to breakfast and leave without a single acknowledgement from any of the waiting staff. This was probably an unusual oversight due to busyness. On the location, this is a bit of a grimy part of town. Walking in the area around the hotel at night is a bit scary and there are a number of unsavory establishments across the road and piles of rubbish in the street. Late at night, the revelers make quite a racket and this is a reminder that this is not the most salubrious part of town.

But, it is convenient, and perfectly suitable inside for a very comfortable stay. All this for a cracking bed and breakfast corporate rate. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Tiny_TimUk,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am pleased to see that you and your company have chosen to stay in our hotel and that you are able to appreciate such value in your stay.

I do apologise for any shortfalls in service and the team thanks you as well. We have taken the opportunity to ensure that the refresher training has been delivered and that all of the team understands the importance of delivering the correct standards and that they do so consistently. Additionally, we have worked quite closely with our neighbours and the appropriate agencies to ensure that there is a greater focus on our special part of the city and the experience for all who visit.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Second time I've stayed here - and it won't be the last!

Not sure whether I managed to get some sort of free upgrade this time round, but the room I got was absolutely HUGE! It was practically palatial - large, tall windows, a modern, well appointed bathroom, robes, slippers and a large living space.

As you'd expect, the staff were polite and courteous, and the hotel is impeccably clean. It's also very central - close to Oxford Rd station and the Central Convention Centre, where my business event was taking place.

Only criticism is that the Macdonald doesn't have a dedicated car park - it's a crumbly asphalt affair littered with vagrants across the road and behind some wheelie bins, but apart from that, it's the place I would book in a heartbeat when staying in Manchester!

Room Tip: 110 was a palace!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear matteh-2006,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. It is truly the greatest of compliments when guests return and allow us to pamper them once again. To hear words such as polite, courteous and clean tells me your experienced all that the team commits to deliver to all of our guests.

Please do let us know when you are returning. We can easily direct you to the Qpark (M1 4LX) a few minutes from the hotel where we have a discount arrangement for the convenience of our guests.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel, stayed whilst doing a course and went for a suite with D,B&B as they had some good offers on, am glad I did. The suite was huge and equipped to a very high standard - array of seating, sofa, table and chair plus easy chairs and stools. The coffee machine was a lovely touch. Nice large TV in the lounge an a further tv and iPod dock in the bedroom. Fabulous bathroom!!! The bedroom was great too - not a fan of squishy beds though. Just fabulous quality throughout, slippers and robes, decent toiletries, little extra touches. My only criticism of the hotel was the food - the same menu all week and when there for 4 nights with only 5 or so choices it is not so good, though was told guests can ask for requests in the morning if they wish, so can use that option if you like. Room service menu was better. Need to listen to customers' special requests i.e. leaving mayo off. Food was luke warm on each occasion unfortunately and plates were not heated. Did submit feedback to the manager but never got a reply. Also never got the £10 credit for booking directly with the hotel. Generally though, well worth a stay but if not travelling on your own venture out to some of the excellent restaurants nearby rather than eating in every night. Great value for a city centre hotel - look out for offers! I notice that another guest had criticised the bedroom with no window - I liked it as it was quiet and well away from the noisy street outside, with an abundance of soft lights to make up for the lack of window. Really friendly staff.

Room Tip: Go for a suite - excellent value for the high spec!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank STgirl75

Dear STgirl75,

Thank you so much or sharing your excellent feedback on your visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your suite and that you appreciated all of the touches which make the Townhouse so special.

I do apologise if you had requested to give me feedback and I hadn’t responded as I was unaware of your wish to do so. I would encourage you to contact me directly and I welcome your additional comments.

I take your comments on board with thanks and I will be certain to pass on the praise to that friendly staff which you so kindly mention. We can always work with such constructive comments to continually improve and deliver the fantastic and personal guest experiences for which we have become known.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Perfect. My husband booked a suite for my birthday. For a fee they made a lovely swan arrangement on the bed with the towels & scattered rose petals. Amazing bathroom, really clean. Complimentary robe & slippers each. Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on that but the stay alone was great. Check in/out went smoothly. Great location, smack bang in the city centre so easy access to everything. Q-park carpark 2 minutes walk away. Paid approx £170 for the night, which i would say is reasonable for the quality of room & i think about £15 for the bed arrangement. Would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Z86
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed at the Townhouse to visit the Christmas markets, not disappointed with either. The staff were friendly and helpful the food was excellent.
My wife does not like butter so the chef cooked the plaice in oil for her and it was delicious.
Its the little touches that make it special, well done

Room Tip: Booked a superior double very nice room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple