“Fantastic customer service”

Ranked #45 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Yorkshire
“Fantastic customer service”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of my friend's 60th birthday celebrations. Lovely room, extremely comfortable beds, and freshly cooked very good breakfast. What really made it though was the welcome of all the staff that we met, and the glasses of champagne and hand made chocolates on a plate saying "Happy 60th Birthday" that were brought to our room shortly after our arrival, compliments of the hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear IloveSamos,

The title of your review says it all and it gives us all the reason to come to work each day and deliver just that . . . fantastic customer service.

We are certainly very fortunate to work with such a great team here at the Townhouse. Please come back soon. We take a returning guest as the greatest of compliments.

James McDevitt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Booked for one night for a recent trip to Manchester. On check-in we were greeted courteously and efficiently. Our room (208) was clean, well decorated and had a good view over Portland Street. The lights didn't work upon entry, and on phoning down we were 'reminded' to put the keycard in a slot by the door; we had not been told this upon check-in, despite the concierge's claims. The room was well-appointed; few minor niggles. 1 bottle of water for 2 people; hairdryer lacked power and heat, so took my wife longer than normal to dry her hair; only 2 milk cartons in tea-tray, though you can ring for more, and fresh milk available via room service. Breakfast in your room is available for £19.50 each. We didn't bother as there is no way my wife would ever eat £20 worth of breakfast! Beds were very comfy and not too much noise from street below. Will book again if in Manchester.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RuthBrady
Dear RuthBrady,

Thank you for talking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I apologise for any confusion regarding use and direction for the key activated electrics in the room, part of our responsible energy initiatives.

To hear that you will book again is a great compliment and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Macdonald Townhouse as a long awaited break with friends, and what a fantastic break it turned out to be.
I had previously stumbled across a review or two which didn't sound too appealing, leading me to feel slightly hesitant regarding our stay, but our stay couldn't have been a further polar opposite.
Arriving at the hotel was brilliant. We were greeted by two young individuals, Victoria And Jordan who were ever so pleasant and whitty. The two seemed to work really well together, exchanging slight digs as to who would help with our bags. They checked us in and made us feel very welcome. As strangers to Manchester, we needed a push in the right direction, To which at check in, Victoria described Jordan as "The Restaurant King", due to his local knowledge of the area. It is reasonable to say that she was not wrong, his recommendations fit the bill perfectly and made our stay ever more pleasant. All in all, a very pleasant young woman and gentleman.
We went up to our rooms, the only thing I will say which will sum them up perfectly, the bed was by far the comfiest of beds to which I have ever had the pleasure to sleep in. Worth a visit just to get a good night sleep.
In the evening, We had some drinks in the 101 bar area which was very special indeed, the staff were very attentive and created a very warm, welcoming and embracing atmosphere, something which seems evident throughout the hotel as a whole.
All in all, our stay at the macdonald townhouse was a very good one indeed, and we shall return in the near future for certain. Very Nice hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear SandyShore76,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your stay with us.

It is very nice to hear that you and your friends had such an enjoyable visit to the Townhouse. Jordan, Victoria, the rest of the team and I thank you for you praise and more do or taking the time to acknowledge their effort.

Perhaps, we will have you as our guests soon. Please do let us know so that we may thank you personally for your kind support.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I would very much agree with the views of Crazyalman from 2 weeks ago. The hotel itself is very good with nice rooms and excellent attentive staff. I have just stayed for 2 nights and the stay was ruined by noise from outside. The room, 404, had secondary glazing but this was not that effective. I was on the 4th floor and on the corner overlooking Portland Street and Abingdon street. I went to bed early at about 10.30 on the first night and was woken by noise at about 1.30. This went on for about 3 hours-dozens of people shouting and screaming, presumably drunk, mostly around the fast food shops opposite. The second night was just the same with noise finally subsiding around 5am. Added to this was traffic noise from the busy road. This was not at a weekend but on a Monday and Tuesday night
Other than that the only comment I would have is that the breakfast is very expensive at £18.50 if paid independently(it was part of my booked rate). The buffet is fairly limited, especially when compared with the MacDonald hotel by Piccadilly station though the cooked breakfast was good. I would stay again if it were not for the problems with noise

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear edinburghguyeh8,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and opinions. As a city centre hotel with a fantastic location we are fortunate that our guests appreciate the balance of all that we offer. I am sorry that it doesn't work for you and that we won't have the opportunity to serve you once again.

I appreciate your praise of the team and the quality of the hotel. Our cooked breakfast is one for which we receive some fantastic feedback. A bountiful selection of items are found on the buffet which freshly served in amounts to accommodate our volume offers the same as our lovely sister hotel with a few extra treats for our guests.

Perhaps, we will be able to serve you once again and you may request a room in a location of the building a bit more to your personal preference.

Regards,

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My sister and I took my elderly, disabled parents away for a couple of nights as a birthday treat.Our rooms were spacious and well appointed. The food was amazing but the best thing was the way we were treated by Vicky in reception and Joe in the restaurant: they couldn't have been more kind or patient. We stumbled across this boutique hotel on the net and got an amazing deal. There is secure parking just across the road and the trams and free shuttle buses stop nearby. It was just what we needed. Thanks for looking after us so well!

Room Tip: There is no pool but this survey won't let me undo the rating! Spa pool is at sister hotel not a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GandLHolland
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear GandLHolland,

Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments and I know that both Vicky and Joe appreciate your praise as well.

I am pleased to hear that you and your parents enjoyed a special occasion with us and we all hope that you will be back to see us soon for another.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

wanted a night away from every day life brilliant choice we have stayed in a few macdonald city hotels and this one is one of the best all the staff from the manager James to Vicky/Jordan bar staff and restaurant staff made us feel very welcome and not just a room number if you want the personnel touch its the place to stay we booked a superior double room very large comfy bed spotless bathroom with all modern fittings well fitted out for getting ready this hotel is well situated for a day and night on the town breakfast was a very pleasant experience not rushed very attentive was offered more tea and toast well cooked breakfast and delivered well will stay again next time in Manchester

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Debbie W,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. In particular, it is very kind of you to mention the team with which I have the pleasure to work. It is easily seen that they enjoy the art of service. Knowing that we have delivered is a great reward.

It was very nice to meet you both and I am pleased that we had an opportunity to chat. Please visit us soon and allow us to provide for you once again.

Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I stay in Manchester regularly for work and have stayed at the MacDonald Townhouse a couple of times.

The first time I stayed I had been stranded due to bad weather so I was pretty fed up and the staff were lovely and even upgraded my room.

I have stayed twice since and the staff recognise me which I am impressed by and they are all just so helpful and nice.

I really like that the cooked breakfast is cooked to order. I have stayed at a lot of hotels nearby and this is the only one that does this (although the Radisson does some things to order).

I have stayed in 3 different rooms and they are all nice. There is a little road noise but it is right in the city centre so is just one of those things. It is not as noisy as the trams at the Midland.

Some of the tv channels don't work very well and if I was staying for more than 3 nights, the lack of gym would put me off a bit although I assume guests can use the other MacDonald hotel gym. Those are literally the only negatives I can think off.

In summary, I really like this hotel, especially the staff and location and I have recommended it to all my colleagues.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CatrionaG21
Dear CatrionaG21,

Your wonderful comments and endorsement are most appreciated. It is always a great compliment when people chose to return to us time and time again and I thank you for doing so.

Please ask for me on a return visit and I would like to say hello and discuss your feedback further.