“Awful Service and Awful Beds!”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #48 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Reception:
Arrived a little earlier than normal and was asked to take a seat in the restaurant where I ended up sitting for nearly 2 hours as others had got checked in -apparently they forgot about me!

Rooms:
Fairly modern bathroom and a spacious room over looking the busy road below - but the beds where awful! The bed was marooned in the middle of the room on wheels so when I moved the bed moved and a gap would open between the bed and the headboard!

Breakfast:
This was included in my rate but after 10 minutes standing there at the wait to be seated sign I gave up!! Most people who where seated looked agitated and I was in a hurry to get going so abandoned and checked out!

Overall - a 1 star service which I do not not want to re live.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank DubDougTravel
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Dougiedub,

I apologies if you did not enjoy your visit. I was very concerned as awful is not what we generally hear.

Fortunately, on sight of your posting, I was able to ascertain who you were and review with the team. With the benefit of the facts I can certainly add some clarity to your comments and opinion.

It is a shame that when you arrived early to the hotel, we were unable to get you settled into your specific reserved room type. This is something which we always do our best to provide. However on this case, you are correct in that we could not immediately accommodate you. In your exchange with the receptionist you indicated that you would settle comfortably into our lounge area. From review of our CCTV, I can see that you enjoyed lunch and conducted some business. At one point you must have looked over your shoulder to see the one guest who checked in prior to you. I was able to determine that he had reserved a different room type which we did have available at the time. Coincidentally, he had arrived to the hotel earlier than you. As luck would have it, he was pleased. You were not. I am sorry.

I was surprised to hear anyone suggest that our beds would be awful. We reviewed the bed and saw no obvious issue. Therefore I can only presume that the wheel lock may not have been secure as we saw nothing to repair or replace. I am sorry that you did not enjoy a night of sleep in our beds for which we generally receive much praise.

In reference to breakfast, even with checking the time and speed on the CCTV I was unable to see you spend ten minutes as you rolled in and out of the restaurant with your luggage in tow. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our signature award winning breakfast.

Had you highlighted any concerns while with us, it would have been our pleasure to assist you. I can only thank you for your feedback and suggest that should you be returning to the area, that you call upon me directly and we will be sure to look after you.

Regards,

James McDevitt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose to stay at the Macdonald Townhouse as a Valentines stay back in February. I picked the hotel Purely based off public reviews and pictures so went in quite open minded as I had no personal validation. I have to admit I remember being incredibly impressed once inside with how classy the place looked. The outside certainly doesn’t prepare you for what’s inside.

Check in was simple and the room was on the 1st floor. It was a VERY nice room and looked very upmarket which surprised me not for the hotel but mainly on the price paid. I have stayed in many hotels for work and personal convenience but none that offered this type of quality for such a good price. Needless to say I was suitably impressed!

The bathrooms were also done to a very nice standard and visually looked pleasing. I will admit the shower is a little on the small side… especially for more than one person if you catch my drift...

My only gripe was that for some unknown reason I was ignored by the night barman for 20 minutes- even when everyone had been served (including those who joined the bar after myself) I had to stop him leaving the bar so I could ask for a glass of ice. But on the whole… that in no way would impact on my decision to return!

I loved my stay here, found it good value for money and certainly would recommend others to try it out!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S

Dear David S,

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. Seemingly, you had a very nice and memorable visit to us.

I do apologise for any unintentional oversight at the bar, however on awareness of your review, the matter was immediately addressed. Please accept his apologies.

Do let us know when you are returning as we would love to look after you soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This review may seem harsh as the actual hotel, service, location and breakfast were good. However, being able to sleep is a pre requisite to any successful stay and this was downright awful. We had a first floor room facing onto the main road . As the building is no doubt listed it is secondary glazed but should really have secondary double glazing as the noise from the traffic went straight through you. It us also not helped by 2 busy takeaways that stay open until 4am with the inevitable shouting and bawling. Maybe I should of gone and asked for another room but you persevere in the belief that it will calm down, more fool me. As much as I thought the hotel was good, I could never stay here again.
Thanks for reading and I hope your experience fares better than ours

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear cocktailsanddreamsss,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to us despite our success in delivering all of the aspects which we can control.

Thank you for your positive comments about the service, location and breakfast. Thank you for noting that your review may a bit harsh.

As a listed building we do work with some limitations and we do have the benefit of the secondary glazing as you note. It is most unfortunate that many people do not show the respect to others that we would hope and they display such anti-social behaviour. I will certainly continue to address the matter with the proper authorities in the interest of our guests’ comfort.

Perhaps, you may consider staying at our sister property, the Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa, where while centrally located, its stellar service and modern design is much more effective in keeping the night time revellers at bay.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday 21st June on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The service from the moment we checked in was excellent. We had cocktails in the bar and food in the restaurant. We couldn't fault it. Again the staff were so attentive. Room was great. There was a bit of noise from the street below when we eventually went to bed but that's to be expected with a hotel in such a great location. Thanks a great stay. We will be back!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank GrahamsThe
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear GrahamsThe,

Thank you.

Your fantastic comments and praise serve as great motivation to the team and kindly acknowledge their successes in serving our guests.

We look forward to having you back to the Townhouse soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

... a well below-par night, after a really lovely welcome in the day.
We had a really nice, warm reception at this fab and characterful old building (thanks to Jessica for her friendliness and professionalism), and my wife had pre-arranged bubbly and chocolates in our room, to kick off a birthday weekend. The room (a classic double) was lovely and spacious, with a corner-roomed view of the city.
The bar, restaurants and lobby areas exude a feeling of relaxed, late nights with cocktails flowing - there are cocktail menus on all the tables, and welcoming messages throughout the hotel. But the sad reality is that on a Saturday night, the bar staff clear off at 11pm. Yep - 11pm, in a city centre hotel bar that presents itself as a trendy and welcoming cocktail venue...
We waited (with two other parties) for 15 minutes for night staff to appear - and bless 'em, they did their best, and they took all the bother in their stride - and the cocktails were good when we eventually got them.
None of which might seem like a big deal, but this hotel promises so much, and failed to deliver.... on that score.
In the morning the duty manager was attentive and concerned - another win for the 'day team'.
Big thumbs-up for the decor, the location, and the quality of the room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Portland Street will be noisier - and the windows, though 'secondary glazed', a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 66Mitch

Dear 66Mitch,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your lovely praise and comments.

The Duty Manager with whom you spoke addressed the training issue and the new cocktail menu with the Nights Team who are there to provide our returning residents that service. I apologise for any delay however the matter was resolved on the day, immediately upon your feedback.

We hope to see you back with us soon so that you can enjoy more of those tasty cocktails in the casual comfort of our Bar and Lounge which remains exclusive to our residents and not the general public for late night use.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is on a busy road in the centre of town. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and there were some thoughtful touches. Free WiFi. Windows that open! Very comfy bed and good bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maia S

Dear Maia S,

Thank you for noting such wonderful points.

Location, room, service and appreciation of the extra touches . . . Sounds like a winner.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed in an executive room for 1 night. The room was very big and the bed was huge and incredibly comfortable! Only downfall was there was no fridge/ minibar?
The bathroom was lovely and very modern with a bath and separate monsoon shower.
The hotel is in a great location, very central and lots of car parks around - if using the Q park the hotel offer a discount!
The staff were really friendly and we had no problems checking in/ out.
We didn't have breakfast as thought £20 each was slightly overpriced.
Would definitely stay again and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LJ676_13,

Thank you.

Anyone who sees us as a great hotel certainly is a fan who we would love to see back time and time again.

It is very nice to hear that you were able to take advantage of our discount arrangement with QPark which provides our guests with value for money in a neighbouring secure car park facility.

Next time please plan ahead and arrange breakfast with your rate. I am certain that you will find it to be worth it with our award winni.

See you back soon.