Townhouse Hotel Manchester
US$137
US$125
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$100
Travelocity
US$95
  • Free Internet
1,813 results
All reviewslovely hotelportland streetcentral locationstreet noisenespresso machineq parkbusy roadcooked breakfastcomfy bedgay villagesaturday nightexecutive roomlovely roomwould stay againbreakfast was excellentafternoon teareception staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went to this hotel on Friday 01 Aug for my partners birthday. We booked at short notice and was delighted with our stay.

The staff were amazing and could not do enough for you. The room was spotless and modern.

The hotel is in a great location for exploring and nightlife.

The one downside would be there is no parking outside the hotel to drop off your luggage.

We would definately reccommend it and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Pay good bucks
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Tam N,

Happy Birthday to your partner! Thank you for your wonderful praise for the hotel and the team.

We certainly hope that you will come back soon and find another reason to celebrate a special occasion . . . or create one while here.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was quite excited about staying at this hotel because it looked so nice on the website. However I was left disappointed. The check in process went well and we were greeted by a friendly member of staff on reception. In fact, all of my dealings with the staff on reception were positive. The room was nice, although I think it should have probably been cleaner. In this sort of hotel, I don't expect to notice any dust or dirt. I did notice some in our room. That is not to say that the room was dirty, it wasn't, but only that it could have been cleaner.

My favourite thing about the room was undoubtedly the bed. It is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. If I could, I would have smuggled it out in my suitcase.

The main problem with our stay, and the reason for the average rating I am giving this hotel, was the experience at breakfast. Upon arriving at the breakfast area, we were asked to take a seat in the lounge whilst a table was prepared. This even though the breakfast area was quite. After sitting for 15 minutes we attempted to contact another member of staff who asked us to wait a minute and then she would come and speak to us. Shortly after speaking to her, we were seated. There were several tables available at this point, so I don't know why we had to wait. There was also no apology. While other people got to choose from the menu for breakfast, we were not asked nor given the opportunity to order. We therefore assembled something to eat from the meager "buffet" which was there. I can honestly say it is the worst breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. I have had better at a budget hotel. The whole experience has put me off ever returning to a Macdonald hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank david1776

Dear David1776,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments and feedback.

I appreciate your kind words about the team.

I am sorry if there were any shortfalls in our customarily high levels of service and quality, in particular with regards to our award winning breakfast. It does offer an extensive selection of cereals, freshly baked pastries, fresh fruits, meats and cheeses as expected, as well a plated full breakfast offering. It remains unfortunate that neither a duty manager nor myself were aware nor have the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you directly and take the opportunity to apologise in person at that time.

Please feel free to contact me on a return and we will be certain to look after you.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with wife and step-daughter - weekend birthday treat for the latter.
Hotel is situated between The Village (and Canal Street) and China town - some 15 minute walk to the far side of the centre. There is a free central bus service from Piccadilly Rail Station or its a 15 minute walk. I didn't see a car park but there is a public one within 100 yards.
The hotel has recently been refurbished and the rooms are modern, air-conditioned and well appointed - flat screen freeview TV, safe and iron. No minbar/fridge.
The bathroom was smallish with a shower over the bath. The bath was slippery and there was no non-slip mat provided - nor grab handles.
There was only one lift working which led to some delays - the other lift had no signs saying it was out of order - so may be permanently not in use.
WiFi is free via The Cloud and is available throughout the hotel.
The hotel has a bar/brasserie (The 101) which we did not visit (£20 pp for breakfast!).
A very nice hotel - but also pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear BobHilbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and praise.

I apologise for any inconvenience with the lift which was temporarily out of action while we waited for the arrival of a part to ensure its safe return to service. I appreciate your comments on the bath surface which does have a non-slip coating however we do have a few old school style bath mats in the housekeeping office should you wish to use one on a future visit.

Please come back soon and treat yourself and your family to another visit. You may want to look at a bed and breakfast rate directly on our website and find some real good value for money.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

And this is nothing like a good hotel either.

On the surface, the Macdonald Townhouse Hotel is wonderful: central location, housed in an old building, rooms large and modern.

Scratch beneath the surface, however, and it falls apart.

Let's start with how the windows don't open, they're painted shut. This leaves you gasping for fresh air and with a sense of foreboding as the room shrinks around you.

From there move on to the fact that there was no hot shower in the morning - only cold water shot from the inviting showerhead. Cold shower? Really guys?

Move on to breakfast, where the only options are cereal or MASSIVE FRIED BREAKFAST. No poached eggs on toast? Having opted for the MASSIVE FRIED BREAKFAST, I was asked if I wanted fried bread and I said no; yet there it was on my plate, right next to a ramekin of baked beans that were so sweet I wondered if they'd added powdered sugar. The bacon was grey as if it has just seen a ghost, and was clearly aged. Two slices of toast was a bit miserly, and the poor serving girl (clearly new) was watched like a hawk by her supervisor, a mere 3 feet away, as she poured my coffee. An un-nerving experience. I must say, however, that the black pudding was divine and the poached eggs beautifully done.

Don't stay here. It looks like a hotel, but it's nothing like one.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Mick W

Dear Mick W,

Thank you for your comments and opinion.

It is rather unfortunate that you chose to not respond to my numerous efforts to contact you via email or telephone. It was with great interest that I had hoped to speak to you to investigate and better understand your comments. Additionally, I would have welcomed the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience as it appears that no one was aware of your concerns while you were us and therefore hadn’t been able to do so.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here with my wife and daughter and couldn't fault it. Staff very friendly, fantastic location for City Centre, Good size rooms, spotlessly clean, nice breakfast and excellent bar area

Good value too

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear david_spring,

Thank you. Short and sweet and full of praise.

Please come back soon!