“What do you expect for £24???”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #100 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed here last night with my boyfriend, after deciding in the afternoon we wanted another night in Manchester but didn’t want to pay the rate that we had paid in the Radisson Edwardian.
We booked on late rooms for £24, what a bargain. Right in the centre of town, so I could get the train in the morning and he could get straight on the metro.
On arrival, our booking hadn’t gone through, as late rooms shuts on a Sunday and doesn’t process bookings. But the very helpful young man on reception, booked us in as a walk in guest for the same rate as late rooms and made sure our late rooms one was cancelled.
We were in a deluxe room, very clean, but yes very dated and could do with some modifications – but we weren’t there for a holiday we slept and left.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in Manchester and isn’t there to spend time in the hotel, use it as a base, somewhere to lay your head.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah B

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Location is perfect. Hotel needs a great deal of work before it will be up to standard. Some parts very old fashioned and a lot of wallpaper peeling off and the like.

The shower practically gave us 3rd degree burns but there was no way of altering this no matter what we did. Bed was ridiculously squeaky and therefore woke us up everytime I moved. Breakfast was good and plenty of it.

We stayed here after our Xmas night out and it served its purpose for that but just don't have too high expectations. If you get a cheap deal then great, but never pay full price.

Room Tip: Go for internal room as I suspect outside will be noisy
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzieq75
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We travelled from Aberdeen to see Man U play Stoke this week. My husband booked this hotel as it advertised at 3 star and was exceedingly cheap, we needed somewhere to lay our heads so to speak. On arrival it is a bit gaudy - likened to Vegas with the neon signing at the front entrance which is surrounded by dodgy lanes. Checked into a double room (a bit concerned when the chap in front was advised his economy room didn't have a window ) ours did but it was accompanied by torn wallpaper, a broken lamp and black mildew all the way round the bath seal which I could not accept. A 15 min wait for the duty manager to appear at reception seen us head back up to the room very unhappy - he arrived a few minutes later, we showed him the mildew and he promptly moved us to a bigger and better room with no mildew and an additional seating area - hurrah. We also received a complimentary bottle of white wine in the form of an apology which we would have enjoyed had I not picked up a virus and spent the next day and night being terribly ill - missing the match !. The clientele consisted mainly of labourers, away from home construction workers and Air India cabin crew. A mismatch of wallpaper, odd furniture and carpets that move under your feet when you walk on them. The lift takes an age and there is a sweet sickly smell throughout. The WiFi didn't work and when we went to ask there was a queue of gentlemen with their laptops in their hands so we thought better of it. The breakfast was good, a reasonable choice and there is a pot of coffee on each table which I found odd, you had to specifically ask for tea. We were booked for two nights and on the second day our card stopped working so we had to ask for it to be updated. I found the bed comfy as it was very firm, but my husband didn't. Above the double sinks in the bathroom only one light worked and the lampshade next to my bed wasn't affixed as such but overall after being moved it was ok. Don't expect much and have a good look in your bathroom. Its in the rougher end of Manchester picadilly, lots of little lanes which are quite dark - be cautious.

Room Tip: There are no windows in the economy rooms, check the bathrooms when you arrive and complain direct a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola D
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Location excellent, thats the good news. Toilet in room leaked from the base had to use towels to stop feet getting wet. Heating in room did not work. Very noisy young couples banging doors all hours. Tea at breakfast was in flasks it was cold and anemic.Lift stuck on floor 3 for full day.
Staff on reception friendly but did not manage to get toilet fixed
We are a middle age couple and do no recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you see it first
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevin h
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed here between Christmas and New Year so not that busy? Our room was spacious, bathroom was nice with powerful shower and bath. All was clean. Heating was not working which I reported, was sent a small heater to heat a large room. Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Wouldn't necessarily stay here again. Very central to the City Centre.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here a couple of years ago. After staying here I reported what happened to the city council. This is what happened:
After an inspection the health and safety dept closed an entire floor and I understand that the hotel was forced to spend in the region of £55K in repairs.
I went for two evenings. The first night I sat on the loo and the seat came off and cause me to hit my head on the wall (incidently I am not overweight). The following morning I turned the bedside lamp on and was given an electric shock by the exposed wires. I complained at reception and was told to contact their head office. There was no complaints department and the only PA available told me 'I am too busy to deal with your complaint and have no intention of dealing with it'.
I rang Manchester council and they immediately dealt with the matter and apparently forced the hotel to close an entire floor and to test all electrical equipment.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank emmanuel h
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here last february (2011) The hotel itself is lovely, the staff were all very friendly and the rooms were great! Comfortable beds, and clean sheets!! The loction was ideal, as it was only 5 minutes walk from the main shops/bars/clubs etc!! Would definitly stay here again!!! Paid 100euro for two nights which is brillaint!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple