“Worse hotel I've ever stayed in.”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #100 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Although the location was good for shopping and the staff were pleasant and polite, this hotel should not be open to the public. We booked a twin room (smoking) when we arrived were told none were available, after our persistance we were told we could have the executive room.On our way up to our room both ours and the other lift broke down, we were stuck for quite a while and it was mentioned that the fire service might have to be called. After about 15 minutes we were freed, but not before an elderly lady had a panic attack! When we finally reached our room, we were so taken aback by the black mould around the bathroom tiles and outside the jets of the jacuzzi bath,the filthy windows, the loose plug sockets and peeling wallpaper that it was a while later that we noticed the bathroom ceiling was coming away and we could see the space between the ceiling and floor above! We went to complain and they moved us to another room on the floor above. Room slightly better, but still complementary mould everywhere,filthy windows etc. As we had been unnerved by the lift incident we used the stairs which took us thru the dirtiest parts of the hotel, only likened to a multistory car park with the same smells!!! In corridors badly worn carpets, open panels in ceilings with wires hanging out, plaster falling off walls. Free wifi didnt work either. We paid £140 for an overnight stay(breakfast was extra) and I feel like Ive been mugged. I would NEVER go back to this hotel and would advise everyone to avoid. I will also never book another hotel from the Brittania chain. Feel sorry for the staff who had a constant reception full of people complaining. To the owners of the Britannia Sachas Hotel you should hang ur heads in shame!!!!

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendy F

Reviewed 5 March 2012

What do you expect for the price and location? Right in the centre of Manchester near the shops. Fairly grubby but certainly not as bad as some of the reviews make out. I stayed there during a stag and was more than happy considering the price difference compared to other hotels nearby. I certainly wouldn't take my missus there but after a skin full it was good enough to crash at. The shower was hot too. Something I wasn't expecting! So a bonus.

Room Tip: I doubt an executive room would be worth the increase in price. There's definitely no luxury to...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheDiamond82
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Upon arrival check in was rather slow. After paying for an executive room we found It very poor standard. Burn marks on the wall. Toilet roll holders were not filled up! The sinks were blocked. After complaining and asking for a change of room which was pretty basic but much better standard than th "executive" room we had paid for. The roof in the bathroom was leaking. During our stay a pipe or something had burst in the hall at the bottom of our landing in which it was poorly attended to with soggy carpets etc.

Breakfast was an utter shambles. We paid for breakfast for two days but the hotel had it marked as room only therefore we had to obtain our documents to prove we had actually paid for breakfast in which we had to prove every day, they didn't update their records.

The spa was very unhygienic, mould in the showers. Unpleasant odour. Scum and dirt on floor, after using the pool resulted in feeling rather dirty.

Overall if you are only looking for a bed to sleep in then fine. Would NOT recommend if your looking for a pleasant, homely stay!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerri H
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Checkin was terribley slow, took almost 30minutes.... Booked two twin rooms for three people and they had to put my card through twice.

Breafast, susasges tasted cheap, waitresses rude and NO FRESH orange..

Asked for refund, manager didnt have the power to refund me the £5 !!!

Beds nice, rooms well apointed, they even emptyed the old kettle water out impressive!!!

would stay again, however mcdons for bfast next time!!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

A complete and utter shambles from the moment we walked into the hotel :
1) Total checking in time was in the region of 40minutes?!!
2) A couple walked into the room with the same key to our room less than10mins of arrival ( I was just getting undressed to get in to the shower at this point-have to add!!!!)
3) After speaking to the hotel reception about the complete breach of security the key would not work to the door as they had reset it by mistake!!
4) No cold water in any of the taps and the A/C none existent to the point it was like being in a permanent sauna
5) None of the TV remote controls worked in our room and also in the room our friends were staying in either.
6) Was asked 3 times what our room number was by the same person at breakfast.
7) I got what I can only term 'Cotea' ( a mixture of coffee and tea in same pot )
8) dead moths in the bathroom even after it had been cleaned!!
9) But to add insult to injury we were asked to pay again for one of the rooms -£400!! even though all payment had been madein full via another company online (all proof of this was provided in writing in order to settle the dispute!) Somebody had clearly made a mistake and communication through their system had failed somewhere!!
10) False fire alarm went off at 3am in the morning the first night we were there!

The only positive was the swimming pool and jacuzzi/sauna facilities were good!

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS HOTEL YOU MAY THINK YOU ARE STARRING LIVE IN THE NEW SERIES OF FAWLTY TOWERS WITH MANUEL AND BASIL !!

Room Tip: No helpful tips!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terence P
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I still wonder why I chose this hotel when I could have easily piled on to anyone else who had a room for that night.

The property is not properly maintained. The staff (all but one) is pathetic in terms of customer service.

I don't think I will ever step into Tib Street again for the rest of my life.

* There is a £2 surcharge for paying by Credit / Debit Card - ridiculous in today's age of plastic money
* The corridoors were dirty and very very noisy.
* The wallpaper was peeling off at various places.
* The carpet was horrendously dirty.
* The room was hot despite the AC being turned to 5 degrees.
* The bathroom was not fit for purpose - the washbasin drain was closed and all attempts to remove the stopper failed as it was just stuck there.
* I need a power point next to the bed / extension cord for my CPAP machine and the staff at the Front Desk said they couldn't help do anything as Maintenance and Housekeeping was closed at 8 PM and that they would be back only in the morning. I am so glad that I found the night manager, ALI, who went out of his way to organise an extension cord for me so I could have a peaceful night.

This hotel is a blot on the BRITANNIA name and anyone should just stay away from it.

I would not hesitate to label my experience anything short of a nightmare.

Room Tip: Please stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anupam A
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Where do I start?
The room stank of dirty drains. It wasn't cleaned after my first night. The bathroom grouting was mouldy. The bed was uncomfortable. The only heating was a very noisy air conditioner. The staff were abrupt. The decor in the hotel was shabby and very rough round the edges. It was like stepping into a the 80s. Breakfast was depressing and tasted cheap, served in the tacky bar, with posters advertising discount beer all around me. Wifi didn't work in my room and I had to do all my online work in the hotel lobby.

I'm a Mancunian by birth - and I'm ashamed of this hotel on behalf of Manchester. I'd hate to think that any visitor to the city stayed here. What an awful impression it must give.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get one of their "standard" rooms - THEY HAVE NO WINDOWS!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business