“A place only to rest your head”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“A place only to rest your head”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Taking my best friend, and some others, on her hen do to Manchester we just needed a cheap hotel to stay at. I chose this hotel because of the price, its location and that we could pay on arrival so I didn't have to bother with asking for the cash beforehand. I was warned when I booked that the rooms were windowless and, as all we needed was somewhere to shower and sleep, this really didn't bother me, however, the lighting in the room was completely inadequate for the size of the room and lack of windows so it wasn't the easiest to do our hair and makeup.

The bathroom was in desperate need of doing up! There was only one small light over the mirror which did little to light up the room adequately, especially once the shower curtain was closed. The laminate board under the sink had come away, was leaning at a very odd angle and looked like it would come away any minute and there were big gaps between the boards on the walls and the ceiling. The whole bathroom looked like something put in during the 60s and never updated since. My usual complaint of the tiniest bath towels ever stands, I could barely wrap it around me and there was no bath mat to put on the floor for getting out of the shower. There was shampoo and lotion in the bathroom which you hardly see in hotels anymore, I'd suggest investing the money in updating the bathrooms than these little touches.

The room was far too hot and, as there were no windows, there was no way of making it any cooler. There was a thermostat on the wall but, whether it was working or not, it was completely broken apart which just looked messy.

The TV was ancient and on a little stand on the floor so it got in the way a bit and there weren't many accessible plugs for plugging in a hair dryer and straighteners.

The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the staff pleasant.

The location of the hotel was perfect! Right in the centre of Manchester with loads of shops, restaurants, pubs and clubs right on the doorstep; I couldn't think of a better location.

I don't think I'd rush to stay at this hotel, it was fine for what we needed - somewhere to shower and sleep - but I'd have been very disappointed if I'd turned up at this hotel for a weekend away with my boyfriend.

1 Thank Sassi78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 February 2014

It would not be going to far to say, that I have stayed in some of the best and the worst hotels in the world.

On a recent trip to Manchester to view particular works at the Manchester museum, I chose the sachas for its location and value. After paying for the hotel online I then checked the TripAdvisor reviews of the hotel, to see the bad rating and random comment.

My stay was 4 days long, myself and my partner had a double room, and other than herself and myself finding the temperate climate too humid the room was perfectly fine and great value for money, considering its location.

Some people on the TripAdvisor site clearly suffering from a wild imagination.

• Stayed January 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

After reading the previous comments I was really quite worried about going to this hotel, but I DID NOT find it as bad as others had said. Ok it was not a 4 star hotel, but it was cheap and cheerful and in a great location. Bed sheets and bathroom were definitely clean ! No insects , no dirt , nothing like anybody has described before.

The receptionists were friendly enough and even provided a service to mind our bags as we had to check out at 11am and our flight wasn't until 10pm.

We had a room with no window and apart from being a little bit warm it was fine ! The only mark I could see in the entire room was a rubber mark on a wall, presumably from the chair that was placed in front of it.

If you want a 4 / 5 star hotel this hotel is not for you. If you are however looking for a reasonably priced, clean and affordable hotel right in the centre Manchester , this is your place !!

Stayed January 2014
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This hotel is old they need to renovate.specially lifts funny smell on corridor and also breakfast were cold .
Wifi signal are horrible .
But again if you are looking for cheap hotel and then this hotel can do .

Room Tip: If you looking for going out in city and cheap hotel don't hesitate . Family or business I woul...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Eastbourne
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is filthy, in need of TLC and the breakfast cold and unappealing. The plates supplied for hot food must be kept in a fridge. The coffee which is in a pump style vacuum flask was cold. The room was filthy dirty with stained carpets and furniture and the bathroom was absolutely disgusting.

The central heating was not on when I arrived, when it came on at 6.00 am, it was noisy and woke me up! Noisy outside as well.

Wardrobe doors off the runners and one fell out completely!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rjkirk

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

ok firstly we all know Manchester hotels overprice their "budget rooms " but this was a disgrace . From being herded like animals to a long lengthy check out where the girl appeared to be playing pacman or space invaders for 20 minutes on her computer we then went up to the wrong style rooms - we had booked doubles and got twins . Major maintenance is needed from the blocked sink ,broken furniture , mildew growing in the cracked and stained bath , windows that do not shut , bedding that is stained , television that only works intermittently and cupboard doors off their sliders complete with a family of clothing moths as an added feature ( surprised they were not charged for ) . the bar was shut leaving customers the only option of warm Alco pops served from behind reception . at £59 just for a room ( and I know others paid a lot more , I am surprised they get any custom at all - My recommendation - sleep on a bench in one of the parks rather than book here .

Room Tip: book somewhere else
Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Visited here prior to going to a musical in Manchester so there was a large noisy group of us. The staff were great, pleasant and friendly and they didnt even mind our Scottish money!......Very reasonable prices and a big thanks to all!

1 Thank mags1888