“Never stay here again.”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #100 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked this room for my birthday, on arrival the girl behind the desk was texting on her mobile and replied with 'soz'!! We were given one card for our room. There were no windows and the air con just blasted out warm air. The tv remote didn't work and we found toe nails in the sink. location good for shopping but terrible to go out drinking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle J
There are newer reviews for Britannia Sachas Hotel

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I had to stay in Manchester on business trip for 2 days. End up booking this hotel based on an advice from colleague of mine. At the reception, the staff was very helpful. But as soon as you get to the lift you realize that it was a bad choice. Hotel in general is located in an old building and in a very bad shape. It definitely needs a refurbishment works. The room is very badly equipped and is very small. I got 202 and please do not open the curtains if you stay in the same room. The next building is literally 2 meters away and that is not a very nice looking one neither. Everything makes noise as it is very old. Even the bath felt like it will fell down at any moment. The room was very cold at night. The hotel management knows about it and they have supplied a heater in the room. First time in my life in a hotel (and this one claims to be at least 3 star, I guess) I had to put an external heater on in order not to freeze to death. Moreover, my room had only 1 socket and I had a choice of charging my phone and freezing to death. They charge 5 pounds for breakfast which is not worth it at all. As usual they provide buffet but it is very poor. The hotel in Nottingham I have stayed few days before that had better selection. All in all, I wouldn't stay there for the second night if i didn't have paid for 2 days in advance. NEVER AGAIN. (don't get me wrong I am not a picky customer. Just an unhappy one)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Oybek S
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Myself and my Boyfriend booked into the hotel on a Sunday morning, planning to check out Friday morning.
We wanted to check in early, which they did accommodate. They would only give us 1 keycard for the room. When we got to the lifts, the smell was sickening. Only one of the lifts was working, but there was no out of order sign. Later we spotted that they were using the lifts to move large dumpsters of rubbish down to the ground floor. There was bin juice in the lift, turned our stomachs.
When we got to the room there was no window, it was like a cave. The wardrobe doors were hanging off the rails. Although air conditioning is promised on the website when you book, there is a sign at reception advising there is no A/C in the hotel. The heat in the room was unbearable. The air was stale and dusty. The TV remote didn't work. We asked for an iron and were told we couldn't get one to our room, we would need to go to the 6th floor to use the "Ironing room". When my boyfriend went up to find it - It was a cupboard, with a swivel chair used to hold the door open.. a sign stuck on the chair said "Iron" just in case he wouldn't have thought to go into the cupboard... Meanwhile back in the cave, I was shocked to find the bathroom ceiling was coming away, the plug for the sink and bath didn't work. For some reason the phone was on the wall in the bathroom- which on inspection didn't work..On our first day at the hotel there was a sign advising that there would be no hot water. There were ants in the bathroom.
The restaurant was closed during our stay, and they were only serving food in one of the function rooms. We did take a trip down, but the smell from the adjacent bin juice stained lift and the filthy and completely empty dining area turned us off.

When we returned to our room, the keycard didn't open the door. We went to reception and were told that it was our fault as our phones must have reset the card! We were given a new card, I made it clear that we were staying 4 more days and that neither of us had our phones close to the card.
The next morning - same issue... card doesn't work again.

We stuck out 2 nights, but by day 3 we had really reached the end of our tether. House keeping had not cleaned our rooms, we had to collect our own towels. We had requested the room to be cleaned and even spoke with the duty manager. He assured us he would get someone right up. When we returned to the room that evening it still had not been cleaned.

We called reception, and she said they could not clean the room as house keeping had left. After a bit of an argument she agreed to move us to a new room. We were moved next to some service doors, the noise was terrible, but the room was 'cleaner'. However in the bathroom there was a clear smell of smoke. This hotel seems to offer smoking rooms, which I am sure is illegal.
Next morning... shock shock horror, we enter the key card for the new room only to see the dreaded red light appear.
The hallways were dirty, carpets stained and missing in patches.

The staff literally didn't care at all about the complaints we made. Some of the girls at reception, while generally pleasant could barely speak English.

The group of large, loud drunken men constantly hanging round the front of the hotel was the cherry on top !

Room Tip: If you want a nice room, don't stay here !
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Róisín C
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Taking my best friend, and some others, on her hen do to Manchester we just needed a cheap hotel to stay at. I chose this hotel because of the price, its location and that we could pay on arrival so I didn't have to bother with asking for the cash beforehand. I was warned when I booked that the rooms were windowless and, as all we needed was somewhere to shower and sleep, this really didn't bother me, however, the lighting in the room was completely inadequate for the size of the room and lack of windows so it wasn't the easiest to do our hair and makeup.

The bathroom was in desperate need of doing up! There was only one small light over the mirror which did little to light up the room adequately, especially once the shower curtain was closed. The laminate board under the sink had come away, was leaning at a very odd angle and looked like it would come away any minute and there were big gaps between the boards on the walls and the ceiling. The whole bathroom looked like something put in during the 60s and never updated since. My usual complaint of the tiniest bath towels ever stands, I could barely wrap it around me and there was no bath mat to put on the floor for getting out of the shower. There was shampoo and lotion in the bathroom which you hardly see in hotels anymore, I'd suggest investing the money in updating the bathrooms than these little touches.

The room was far too hot and, as there were no windows, there was no way of making it any cooler. There was a thermostat on the wall but, whether it was working or not, it was completely broken apart which just looked messy.

The TV was ancient and on a little stand on the floor so it got in the way a bit and there weren't many accessible plugs for plugging in a hair dryer and straighteners.

The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and the staff pleasant.

The location of the hotel was perfect! Right in the centre of Manchester with loads of shops, restaurants, pubs and clubs right on the doorstep; I couldn't think of a better location.

I don't think I'd rush to stay at this hotel, it was fine for what we needed - somewhere to shower and sleep - but I'd have been very disappointed if I'd turned up at this hotel for a weekend away with my boyfriend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sassi78
Reviewed 1 February 2014

It would not be going to far to say, that I have stayed in some of the best and the worst hotels in the world.

On a recent trip to Manchester to view particular works at the Manchester museum, I chose the sachas for its location and value. After paying for the hotel online I then checked the TripAdvisor reviews of the hotel, to see the bad rating and random comment.

My stay was 4 days long, myself and my partner had a double room, and other than herself and myself finding the temperate climate too humid the room was perfectly fine and great value for money, considering its location.

Some people on the TripAdvisor site clearly suffering from a wild imagination.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

After reading the previous comments I was really quite worried about going to this hotel, but I DID NOT find it as bad as others had said. Ok it was not a 4 star hotel, but it was cheap and cheerful and in a great location. Bed sheets and bathroom were definitely clean ! No insects , no dirt , nothing like anybody has described before.

The receptionists were friendly enough and even provided a service to mind our bags as we had to check out at 11am and our flight wasn't until 10pm.

We had a room with no window and apart from being a little bit warm it was fine ! The only mark I could see in the entire room was a rubber mark on a wall, presumably from the chair that was placed in front of it.

If you want a 4 / 5 star hotel this hotel is not for you. If you are however looking for a reasonably priced, clean and affordable hotel right in the centre Manchester , this is your place !!

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This hotel is old they need to renovate.specially lifts funny smell on corridor and also breakfast were cold .
Wifi signal are horrible .
But again if you are looking for cheap hotel and then this hotel can do .

Room Tip: If you looking for going out in city and cheap hotel don't hesitate . Family or business I woul...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business