“If there was a dislike button I would press it.... Very hard”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #97 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Fareham, United Kingdom
“If there was a dislike button I would press it.... Very hard”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Upon walking down the street I was alarmed at the outside of the building which appeared to be disgustingly filthy, my fears were not alleviated once entering the reception with my colleague (we were visiting on business for 4 days). The reception was worn out and patched up rather than undertaking any form of restoration or redecoration. We checked in hesitantly and the receptionist appeared not to care we even existed, did not speak to us apart from to ask our name and advised us the key card machine was not working and someone would have to let us in to our room manually (not a good start!)
Then we entered the lift which looked like it might break down any minute, and were taken to our rooms (both 55 per night but discounted by company rate so goodness knows what they actually charge!)
My room had the over welcoming smell of marajuana, the wallpaper was stained beyond belief, windows were so dirt ridden you could not see out and there was mould growing round the bath. My colleagues room had a large hole in the carpet, several holes in the walls where things had been taken down and not filled in properly, flies crawling out of the holes, a wardrobe door practically hanging off and a large dent in the door where someone has appeared to try and kick it down.
Needless to say we took one look at our rooms and left demanding a refund for our full stay. We got charged a full nights stay as we were passed cancellation policy for looking at a room and instantly leaving. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My girlfriend and I booked this hotel to act as a base after a saturday of drinking in Manchester. The fact it was smack bang in the middle of the trendy Northern Quarter and it's reasonable price is what made us choose this hotel, big mistake. For £10 extra we could have stayed at the average Ibis on Portland Street 5 minutes walk away (which I would recommend on past experience).

We arrived at the hotel and we were slightly impressed by the grand Art Deco-esque lobby, which was quite tired looking. We then proceeded to our room and after opening the door we noticed it was quite dark which was peculiar for 2pm on a sunny afternoon. To our horror there were no windows, an issue that was amplified by the fact that it was a hot stuffy day. We could not spend 2 minutes in the room so we turned the air conditioning dial to the coldest setting and decided to return to our afternoon of drinks.

At 11pm we returned to the room full of dread but with duller senses from the drinks hoping the room would be nice and cool and ready to sleep in. Even the 12 hours of drinking didn't help with the still hot and stuffy conditions. The air conditioning was blowing warm air. This point is where my girlfriend decided to complain at the front desk that the air con was not working. She was told that there was no air conditioning in the building, which makes me wonder why there was a dial and a vent in the first place. She was then offered a fan for the small fee of £10 for the night. £10 to have the pleasure of hot air blown in your general direction whilst it's plugged into the nearest plug point, on the opposite side of the room.

In the morning I decided to take a cool shower before checking out in hope of escaping the sweaty conditions for 10 minutes. There was mould in the shower.

Overall, the stay was not worth the location or saving.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a window if you must stay here, an issue I never thought I would come across in a hote...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Dawlish
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I read the reviews after I had booked... big mistake! Although it did "manage" my expectations in a downward direction. I was amazed that the reception area was quite sparkling and "glitzy", but when getting to the room I wasn't too surprised to turn up to a shabby hotel with tired ripped wallpaper, disgustingly dirty windows (have they ever been cleaned?) and one of the secondary glazed windows completely missing!
My room overlooked the city's urinal, with a row of men peeing and shouting to each other at any given time during the night. So it was incredibly loud, and no double glazing. The air-con was broken and the knob hanging off. The bathroom light was inadequate at best. The room lighting was by lamps (not ceiling lights) and only one of them worked. The TV was ancient.

Breakfast was adequate but poor, with hard fried eggs, and a toaster that barely worked.
Having read the reviews it seemed like a waste of time to complain, so we didn't bother.
On the up side the sheets seemed clean and the mattress was comfortable.
Conclusion: You want a decent night's sleep in the centre of town = there MUST be somewhere better than this!!!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank suzyhas
Chester
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Overpriced, unclean dump. The rooms are filthy and bathroom is worse. Check out is 11 am but got woke up by cleaners at 10 am and kept getting a knock every 15 mins untill 11 am, staff haven't got time for you. I wouldn't let my dog stay there not worth the money at all. I definitely will not be staying here again!!

2 Thank dc88united
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Booked only the day before for £45 for a twin. I was concerned by previous reviews but was surprised on arriving how nice it seemed. Receptionist helpful downside was car parking. Website mentions a car park with reduced charges if staying at hotel after using postcode on website didn't find it and ended up paying £15 for the night in nearby ncp. Would consider staying again would research cheaper car parks.

1 Thank Lawlor294
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked a twin room for 2 nights, was given a room with a slightly wider single bed, rather than two beds.
The room had no working lights, no locks, had dirty windows, and a dirty toilet and bath.
Despite complaining on arrival, and on four following occasions, not one thing was done to amend the issues.
The staff are quite polite, yet are either totally uninformed as to the hotels ruled and regulations, or are very good liars. Every discussion with a member of staff gave myself and my companion a new unrealistic excuse as to why we could not switch rooms, could not have the lights in our room fixed and could not get our money back.
A ridiculous encounter with a member of staff included then saying "the lights may not be working because you have to turn the switch on, sometimes you have to flick it down for it to work".

Overall I suggest you don't waste your money on this overpriced place.
The location was rather close to the train station and the shops nonetheless.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Caitlin W
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Booked at Sashas hotel Manchester for 3 nights .... When I checked in on my way to the room the corridors were smelly....inside the the room very dirty windows, cold no heating ceiling that weren't almost falling , very old wallpaper which was coming off the walls, horrible bathroom I didn't stay in the hotel had to stay somewhere though I had already paid at the hotel as I could not even see myself using the bathroom that was so dirty Because I was spending time in the hotel premises for the time I was in Manchester whenever I nipped to the room it was never cleaned left a tea cup that I had used to see If someone would come in to clean the room but nobody did.... Dirty chairs at the reception, dirty carpets throughout the hotel .

Room Tip: AVOID!!!!!! Not even a Rat can stay in that hotel I wouldn't even rate it
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business