“grubby nightmare”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #97 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
“grubby nightmare”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

the outside of the building is very dirty and shabby looking. nothing like the photos the entrance hall seems grand and posh until you get close to the waiting sofas which are filthy and stained. when we went to reception we where kept a while before being served then once we attempted to check in at 11am i was met by a lady who didnt speak clear english. who then sounded fed up and gave me a big sigh and told me i was to early and turned away. came back a 2pm got our keys and took the long walk to the room which was located above their night club. the door handle and lock where loose when we got in the room smelled clean but didnt look the part at all its very out dated but the website suggests it modern the windows where filthy there was hair on the bath mat the shower drizzled out and didnt drain so i was left stood in the water the sides had bleach stains the tv didnt work there where browny black splatters on wall and celling what looked like yoghurt splattered up the curtains a big brown stain on the floor. i was woken by what sounded like a neighbours door being smashed in and was afraid my door was next and didnt have a lock to secure it with as that had been broken off there was writing on the wall in biro pointing out where mecca was!! the price is outrageous for what it is, its the same price as holiday inn which includes a continental breakfast this hotel was an extra £10 for breakfast so my advice is avoid it!

Room Tip: dont bother at all book elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

On arrival i was shocked by the difference between picture I had seen online and what grubby looking building that stood in front of me but I was always told to never judge a book by its cover. The entrance and lobby looked the part and for the price of £75 a night it should do but unfortunately that is as far as it went. From the point of speaking to a member of staff that didn't really have a clue what she was doing and spoke with a strong French accent that I found hard to understand. We arrived slightly early than 2pm (check in time) but asked if there was any rooms ready only to have this member of staff let out a sigh of annoyance to our request. Once we finally got checked in and told or room number off we went. On opening the door to our room we are taking back by the run down shabby look of the place with black splatter of some sort of liquid up the wall and ceiling bleach rings on the counter in the bathroom black marks on the ceiling that looks like a build or fuse had blow and caused black burn mark on the ceiling. I was very disappointed in the state of the room. Not happy with the room I turned on the t.v that did not have digital signal and was running off an analog Ariel so no clear image so the tv was a no go and to top it all off previous guest had decided to doodle on the wall a arrow with some kind of foreign language under it my partner translated it ( using google) and turns out that it was direction to Mecca (not the bingo). No sleep was had as around 3 am there was banging that sounded like someone was trying to kick in the door. so to sum it up I would not ever stay here again unless you want to be greeted with attitude before been shown your filthy room complete with drawn on directions on the wallpaper and await your door to be kicked in in the early hours of the morning and it says free wifi but not in all room yeah I didn't get no wifi in the room either

Room Tip: In another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adam C

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Northampton
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Arriving August 1st no water to shower for my black tie business event! Call reception to be told there's no manager! But they will send someone to fix it! Come back from the event feeling disgusting, chips and mayonnaise all over the floor! Nails on the floors in the hallways! Police in the corridors! Then my toilet wouldn't flush! Moved to another room at gone 1am! A upgrade! To a room that was wrecked! Dirty wet towels bath and bath mat threw everywhere! Plaster all over the floor, the bed had clearly been used with pens and bits of rizla packets all over it! The hotel staff had to come look! How did they not know it was like that! It looked like a derelict room ready to be knocked down for godsake! Moved to another room that was joining I did not feel safe at this point I cried myself to sleep and felt violated! No one deserves this experience! Another room my mum had they took them to someone else's room first! Another room my friends had was full of flying moths on the bed all over the carpets! It's disgusting I have photos and will push to get this place shut down! I've stayed in better hostels! The breakfast well what can you expect! But no refund! And all the time no manager so I took a leaflet for Britannia hotels looked on the website rang the existing booking line which then told me the managers name and got us moved to another hotel! This ruined my weekend as a speaker for our business convention weekend. But they gave us three bottles of free wine at the sister hotel! Great compensation NOT! I will never ever stay in a Britannia hotel ever again! I urge anyone else not to either! I am happy with a room but this was just a nightmare I felt like I was in the red light bay route district! The reception is lovely but it's dresses up to be something it's not beyond that point is another world! How trading standards allow this I do not know!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SherrieMumpreneur
Ilkeston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for one night on the third floor and first impressions of the hotel were not wonderful. However, it is a budget hotel so you know that something's gotta give with the price you pay, right?
The outside gave me a sinking feeling as it was dirty and smelly. Inside, the receptionists were fine, gave me a WIFI password that wouldn't allow me to collect for love nor money, and went to a small but pleasant enough room 2 floors up.
The room itself had no window, but I knew that it wouldn't as it states that on the booking page on the hotel's website, so it would be unfair to say that I wasn't happy with it. The room was basic but the bed was comfortable enough, the telly and kettle worked and we could stick our clothes on a rather ripped armchair. There was a party going on on the ground floor, of which we could here some of the music. However, you could only make out the words to songs if you really listened for them, but I was so tired from my day that I did fall asleep around midnight, a little disappointed that the loud music hadn't finished at 11pm. I did think to myself that I was grateful not to have been on the first floor where guests would certainly have been disturbed by it.
We got up for breakfast the following day and it was a buffet style English breakfast and cereals on offer where you could fill your boots and was certainly pleasant enough, no issues there.
I'd probably stay again as the location was ideal, though not in the warmer months if I were to stay in a windowless room given the other comments on here! But for what I wanted, a weary traveller who needed somewhere to stop for just one night, what you got for your money wasn't to be grumbled at. It's not great, but it's not awful either. Okay at best and that was okay for me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MarieJanes
wales
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We wanted to stay another night in manchester having stayed in another hotel the previous night and the only one that was available was this hotel. The first room we were given had no window, was grubby and was extremely hot so I went back to reception to ask for a refund. I was told that this was not possible but they could swap our room to one with a window. This room was no better. Tired, dirty furnishings, holes in the bed sheets, cracked tiles in the bathroom BUT even worse than that...we found a small plastic bag inside the hotel magazine with what could only have been drugs inside (thorough cleaning, I think not!) AND the water in the bathroom had a very weird smell to it, so much so we had to purchase a bottle of water from reception for £1.50 so that we could brush our teeth! Suffice to say we decided not to even shower here and could not wait to leave. Avoid at all costs. The staff were not bothered about our complaints. No wifi either, despite saying it has.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holliejmwales
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was the worst experience of my life when it comes to staying in a hotel. I arrived on 15th July for a business trip, and firstly, the hotel was horrid. It stank of stale cigarettes throughout the whole place and was pretty dirty.

On the day of my arrival, I paid the £75.50 for the room with my company credit card. The next day, the hotel proceeded to take a further £100 out of the account, without notifying us.

I rang in a few days later when I was questioned about this £100 by our finance team. The hotel then told me it was because I had stolen a tv from the room. The reality was that I had wanted to check in 15 minutes early, but the room wasn't ready so I agreed to check into a smoking room instead early, in order to go to a meeting promptly.

On the phone, I asked to speak to the manager and they took my number telling me they would call back that evening. They never did. I rang again the next day and they said they would call me back that evening, again, nothing. The next day my manager rang in and they told her they would ring back first thing tomorrow morning. They did not ring back.

As a professional on a business trip, this was the last thing I would expect and to be told I stole a television when there wasn't even one in the room was absolutely ludicrous. I am disgusted at the despicable service of this hotel.

Never ever go here and please pass this story on to anyone you know.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lauren H
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I'm not really sure how to begin - I do travel the World on business and was surprised to find a hotel of this standard still in existence in a major uk city.
The exterior of the hotel and the lobby are of an interesting design and decor - a nice change from the normal corporate glass and stainless steel you would expect of a city centre hotel and actually the staff are both helpful and friendly.
There's a reasonable bar (closes early and the staff have no access to it after it closes - even to the point it's impossible for them to get a jug of ice water).
It's the rooms that really let the hotel down....I stayed in a 'executive' room with the decor and bathroom from the 1970's in really bad condition, no A/C and you couldn't open the window - it was extremely hot !
Add to this that the cold water just dribbled from the bathroom tap and it didn't add up to a great experience.
The staff did offer to change my room but I'd already talked with my colleagues and all the rooms were of a similar standard so I didn't bother.
A main road runs outside the hotel with buses etc running late into the night - quite interesting as my room (2nd floor) was the same level as the double decker bus outside the window !
Overall - the staff go a long way to saving the hotel and if it was £30 a night then I think it would be ok for a hotel right in the City centre but they're charging premium rates for a very tried old hotel that's screaming out for a full renovation.
That said - yes the room was old but it was clean and the bed obviously freshly changed as well - so lots of things being done right just with old worn out rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business