“did a murder happen in this hotel??!?”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“did a murder happen in this hotel??!?”
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I visited the Sacha hotel in Manchester a couple of weeks back and it was ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After hours of travelling to Manchester, all we were looking forward to was a bed to sleep in. We checked in at reception, where they demanded the full price on arrival ( no wonder, as most people would not pay after seeing the rooms!!!) , may i add, all staff spoke extremely bad english so very hard to communicate when they had got our room bookings wrong!
Anyway, we walked to the lift and headed for our rooms. As soon as the lift doors open there was a VILE SMELL, a combination of smoke and damp!! When walking to our rooms, the carpet was torn and threadbare, like people had been dragged down the corridor!!
HAD WE JUST STEPPED INTO A SCENE FROM A HORROR FILM!!!
We got to our room and walked in, the smell even worse...dark, dingy lighting, cracked and broken bath, a tv that wasat least 30years old!!, the bed sheets all puckered...brown and an offwhite...yuck yuck yuck!!!
We left this hotel immedietaly and found another hotel, staff didnt care about us, didnt even stay half an hour..

TWO WORDS!!!........STAY AWAY!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
GM705, General Manager at Britannia Sachas Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear Dancer_20111

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, it’s important I receive invaluable guest feedback like yours so I can review and improve standards or service with in the hotel.

Manchester is an International destination and as with all city centre hotels my team comprise of many varied nationalities all of who do have a good command and understanding of the English language.

If guests do not secure their bookings with credit or debit cards then we do take payments up front, this is good business practise and is implemented in all sectors of business.

The patch of carpet has been temporarily repaired until a new carpet is purchased to replace.

I would not let a bedroom with a “cracked and broken bath” that just wouldn’t make sense.

Our cheaper economy rooms do not have windows as these are internal rooms and the price of these rooms reflect this, also on all the websites and agents we use we advertise this room type as an internal with no windows so guests know what they are booking.

The bedding is white and the valance on the base is a sandy colour.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
loughton, essex
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Good points:
Location
Staff fantastic sure they could get job somewhere more worthy of their skills
Very clean
If like my work paid £40 a night there's worse

Bad:
Whole place needs overhaul
Bathrooms falling apart (staff do an amazing job to make them feel useable)
Breakfast inedible
Took whole night with blow air heater system on to get room warm
Windows let in tons of cold air
Bulbs gone
Doors in lobby painted two different colours
Brass centres of taps in main bathroom gone
Terribly dated
Hole in top bed sheet

If it gad been full price I'd have been outraged (I've backpacked for a year in Asia so trust me I'm not uber picky by any means) as a fellow guest stated at the reception 'I've been in 3rooms and I would never stay again if you paid me'

To all the great staff get a job in a hotel where the environment matches up to your personal skills so instead of complaints you can get the recognition you deserve.

• Stayed March 2011
GM705, General Manager at Britannia Sachas Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Dear Travellervg

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Reviewed 23 February 2011

If you are going with friends or family for a night out to Manchester this hotel is fine as long as you don't pay a lot. We paid £48 for a twin room. It was internal and when we arrived the heat was unbearable it was so hot we slept on top of the covers in February!! The room was cosy though and well furnished. The bath had poly filler in it but the shower was good and very hot. Everything was hot. The swimming pool was lovely and warm too! The swim is steep at £2.50 for a little pool and no changing rooms.
The reception is lovely and they were very helpful. Breakfast £5. Location great for The Printworks and it looks lovely lit up. Overall fine if your drunk and don't need a view.

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Gooddog1

I would just like to make one comment and that is there are changing facilities in the gym / swimming pool area.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2011

From the moment the taxi pulled up outside, i knew this would be a bad experience.... I just never expected my self to be on the scene of a horror movie, Staff demanded full payment upfront, when arriving in the rooms we were hit with a damp, musky smell! The wallpaper was coming off the wall due to the amount of damp! All the beds were different sizes, with sheets just thrown onto the beds, graffitti on the walls, TV set from the 80's, phone didnt work, tap wouldnt turn off in bathroom, So Much mold in bathroom thought i was in a swamp! when going to complain, Spoke to duty manager who said he would show us another room, BLOOD everywhere!!! AWFUL!! Another room had a scraggy piece of fabric hanging from a hole in the ceiling, Most of the lights in our room didn't work. Hallway carpet was so worn the floor boards were showing through! Staff had no idea of customer service and Could not operate the PDQ maching to issue refunds! Duty manager had given his name badge to other members of staff to deal with us thinking we would not notice it was three different people we were talking too!
AVOID HOTEL!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Please see response below, guest part of the same group
Surrey England
Reviewed 22 February 2011

This hotel (If I dare to call it this) is truly the worst hotel I have ever come across. I booked it for a group of dancing students and their families as we were attending a dance event. We had booked executive rooms as we wnated to ensure some comfort for the students (Well we had initially booked a suite too ,but the hotel reservation team managed to mess up the bookings!!! Maybe this was an indication of what to expect)

When the lift eventually arrived, out came a member of staff pushing a trolley full of old rotting rubbish which was absolutely stinking, alot of which had managed to spill all over the floor of the lift. Apparently the service lift was out of action. He must have been in the guest lift for some time as it did take forever to reach the various floors. However the best was yet to come, as we stepped out onto the corrider we were greeted with the awful stench of damp,the carpet was threadbare and there was actually writing on the wall. Then joy of joys we entered our "Executive Rooms". The single beds were all different sizes, the beds had not been made correctly, there were ripped lampshades, no bulbs in the wall lights or the bathroom, blood on the carpets, walls were damp and due to this the wallpaper was peeling off. The smell of damp was over bearing. The bathrooms were filthy. I visited each of my students rooms and they were all the same. Absolutely disgusting! I decided to call down to reception but surprise, surprise the phone in the room was out of order. This meant another journey (Or should I say vacation) in the slow moving stinking lift!
When I reached reception I asked to speak with The Duty Manager. I complained about all of the above and his reply and i quote "What do you expect from a 3 star hotel" I asked if I could see a standard room so I could see exactly what it was that made our rooms executive, Surprisingly there were none to view(My heart goes out to the poor individuals staying in them) I then asked the manager if he would have been pleased and satisfied if he had paid for an executive room and been offered what we had, it was also pointed out to him that the damp was in fact a health hazard. This time his response was and again I quote "Give them their money back" How Rude and what dreadful customer service. I decided I would look for somewhere else however it was after 10.00pm and I did have to find somewher for all my students. I was told no internet after 10.00pm and if I wanted to use a phone there was a payphone I could use. Then the man on reception said he had some better rooms to show me, another trip in the slowest lift in the world, were they better?? No even more blood on the carpets and an attic room. Both with dirty bathrooms, badly made beds and no bulbs. I told the receptionist I was very upset as I had wanted a decent hotel for my students. the response this time Quote "Well what did you book this one for then" Unbelievable!! Luckily we did not have to use the 'Payphone' as we have mobiles, and even luckier we were able to get into The Premier Inn which was complete heaven after out hellish nightmare. Unfortunately it was Midnight before we were settled somewhere else! I belong to a very large dance organisation and when I got to the dance venue and spoke with my colleagues so many of them said "The Sascha Hotel, never stay there" They have had similar experiences! My students took photographs and when I meet with them I am going to post all of the photots to back my review up. This has been a very long review but I feel so strongly about it. I stay in hotels at least once a month and this really is the very, very, very worst hotel ever, ever,ever. DO NOT STAY HERE WITHOUT A GAS MASK, TORCH AND FUMIGATION SUIT!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear Dancersurreyengland

Some of the detail you have provided is incorrect and not even relevant to Sachas Hotel which makes me wonder if you have left feedback for the right hotel at all.

We do not have attic bedrooms. None of my bedrooms have wall lights they are all free standing or table lamps. All my single beds are the same size 3 foot by 6 foot. Internet is wifi so it’s available 24/7. The telephones are all direct dial so again available 24/7. We have two guest lifts although not high story express lifts they do both work adequately and are by no means slow as you described.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Let me start off by saying we paid £20 for one night for our room in November 2009 to stay over after the Beyonce concert, for £20 in the centre of Manchester I think this hotel was fine! We had no window but knew this when booking (saver rooms have no window), it was very warm and the air con appeared to be blowing out hot air, when we got back to the room at half 1 in the morning it was like an oven!! The room we were in was a bit dated but not dirty, the reception staff were very pleasant. The hotel is just behind Debenhams and has a car park next door (about £15 for 24 hours from what I remember). I was happy with it and would use again but wouldnt pay over the odds!!

• Stayed March 2010
Dear Picklesbonbon

Somewhere in UK
Reviewed 22 February 2011

In real life this hotel does not look like the photos. the interior is definately in need of a total refurbishment. Carpets are very worn and dangerous in places. we were in room 448 and there was an awful smell of cigarette smoke along the corridor (there was also a lot of noise coming from one of the rooms that was not numbered next door- that was probably the staff room). We used the stairs instead of the lifts because they were both very shaky, noisy and smelly.
We paid £10 each for breakfast and it was awful, the sausages were rock hard and looked like they had been reheated all week, the bacon was on large trays that had been put in the oven and was all stuck together and slimey, and the orange juice had a green tinge to it.
The afternoon special £5 each carvery was vile, we walked out and were given our money back after we complained. I have never seen curled up carrots and 1 inch skin on gravy before!. Also the ? fried fish portion looked like it was soaked in black fat and recooked several times. It was hard to work out whether the hotel was clean because it was so shabby. If you decide to use this hotel......... be prepared to be disappointed, because we were.
It does have a few good points though! It is very central and next door to Debenhams and other large retailers.
The room service at night was good and the Pizza on our first night was really nice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear Wraggychips

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, I am surprised at your comments with regards to the food, I have looked back to when you stayed and I didn’t receive one other complaint or negative comment from any other guest who stayed at the same time.