“Absolutely awful hotel”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #101 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This hotel was an absolute disgrace. I wouldn't even allow my dog to stay here. The whole place smelled of sour milk and dampness. We were put in three different rooms, all filthy. Carpets stained, leaking taps in all the rooms we were in. Sheets weren't fresh and certainly didnt look clean. Windows in the rooms were filthy but apparently we should have been grateful to have a window at all as apparently most people didnt. The breakfast was a joke! The glasses that we had were dirty and one was chipped and a big split down it. The coffee was foul. In fact I cant think of a single thing that is positive about this hotel and to be perfectly honest totally shocked that it is allowed to be in operation at all!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lou8087
GM705, General Manager at Britannia Sachas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

Dear Lou8087

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, it’s important I receive invaluable guest feedback like yours so I can review and improve standards or service with in the hotel.

I can assure you that the bedding is all clean when you check into any of my rooms and any suggestion otherwise is baffling to say the least.

Unless you picked up a used glass the breakfast glasses are all clean as the staff spend time polishing each individual glass but I am sorry if you found one that was cracked and chipped this is unacceptable.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

Just returned from 2 nights at Sashas. Didn't pay a fortune for the stay so didn't expect too much. Staff were helpful when presented with a room problem. It is basic and the rooms without windows are quite stuffy. The place really could do with a lick of paint and a makeover but overall ya get what ya pay for!! The location is superb.
The only really bad aspect of my stay was the obnoxious bar staff member who obviously played truant when she was sent to charm school.......the service industry isn't for you!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Corky1972

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Spent two nights at their Executive Double Room. Building is fairly run-down. One lift was out of order and the other one was extremely slow. You should consider taking the stairs instead.

My bathroom's floor isn't even. Room has horrible outdated green carpret with flowery wallpapers. Unncessary extra furniture with one massive TV cupboard with no TV in it! I would prefer a bigger desk. Bed is low and not firm. If you have a bad back, be aware.

I would not bother with breakfast even though it is only a fiver. Food quality was bad. It is a self-service and I had a full breakfast but the sausages looked like leftovers from last night.

The only good point is that it is close to city centre and about 8 mins walk from Manchester Piccadilly station. However it gets very noisy on Friday and Saturday nights because they are many bars and pubs nearby.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Dear M_Smlam

Unfortunately you are correct one lift was out of order this was due to a mechanical fault that was beyond our control.

The décor will never appeal to everyone’s taste no matter what colours were used.

The beds again will not suit everyone as some like beds soft, some semi firm and others hard but the majority of my guests do enjoy a comfortable nights sleep on the beds I have.

I am surprised about your comments re breakfast but I will pass on your thoughts to my chef

Reviewed 7 March 2011

After ready the horrid reviews on here i was extremely worried about arriving at this hotel. We were only staying the one night but was dreading it. On arrival the outside did appear dingy but upon entering the reception i was pleasantly suprised. The gentleman on reception was very nice and helpful and our room was very spacious, clean and tidy. Fresh clean sheets, bathroom was extremely clean with a jacuzzi bath, TV, tea and coffee, trouser press, hair dryer. The bar in the hotel had good drinks offers on and the breakfast the next morning was fab. Lots to choose from and as it was a buffet you could go back as many times as you liked. We could find no fault with this hotel at all, all the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful, good drinks prices, clean room, clean sheets - what more can you ask for?? Defo worth a re-visit.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MandyF0

Dear MandyF0,

It is refreshing as a hotelier to see that guests that are happy do leave positive feedback as this helps to motivate my team and improve standards.

Reviewed 4 March 2011

You really must ignore the negative comments this hotel is getting.
It's three star not five!
The hotel may be a little dated but gosh it's a beautiful old building. You get what you pay for and I think I got more. The staff are amazing! Oh and the duty manager I think called Carl would move the earth for you if he could.
Alls I can say Is check in now it's lovely. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear Wessam01

Reviewed 3 March 2011

I visited the Sacha hotel in Manchester a couple of weeks back and it was ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After hours of travelling to Manchester, all we were looking forward to was a bed to sleep in. We checked in at reception, where they demanded the full price on arrival ( no wonder, as most people would not pay after seeing the rooms!!!) , may i add, all staff spoke extremely bad english so very hard to communicate when they had got our room bookings wrong!
Anyway, we walked to the lift and headed for our rooms. As soon as the lift doors open there was a VILE SMELL, a combination of smoke and damp!! When walking to our rooms, the carpet was torn and threadbare, like people had been dragged down the corridor!!
HAD WE JUST STEPPED INTO A SCENE FROM A HORROR FILM!!!
We got to our room and walked in, the smell even worse...dark, dingy lighting, cracked and broken bath, a tv that wasat least 30years old!!, the bed sheets all puckered...brown and an offwhite...yuck yuck yuck!!!
We left this hotel immedietaly and found another hotel, staff didnt care about us, didnt even stay half an hour..

TWO WORDS!!!........STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Dear Dancer_20111

Manchester is an International destination and as with all city centre hotels my team comprise of many varied nationalities all of who do have a good command and understanding of the English language.

If guests do not secure their bookings with credit or debit cards then we do take payments up front, this is good business practise and is implemented in all sectors of business.

The patch of carpet has been temporarily repaired until a new carpet is purchased to replace.

I would not let a bedroom with a “cracked and broken bath” that just wouldn’t make sense.

Our cheaper economy rooms do not have windows as these are internal rooms and the price of these rooms reflect this, also on all the websites and agents we use we advertise this room type as an internal with no windows so guests know what they are booking.

The bedding is white and the valance on the base is a sandy colour.

Reviewed 2 March 2011

Good points:
Location
Staff fantastic sure they could get job somewhere more worthy of their skills
Very clean
If like my work paid £40 a night there's worse

Bad:
Whole place needs overhaul
Bathrooms falling apart (staff do an amazing job to make them feel useable)
Breakfast inedible
Took whole night with blow air heater system on to get room warm
Windows let in tons of cold air
Bulbs gone
Doors in lobby painted two different colours
Brass centres of taps in main bathroom gone
Terribly dated
Hole in top bed sheet

If it gad been full price I'd have been outraged (I've backpacked for a year in Asia so trust me I'm not uber picky by any means) as a fellow guest stated at the reception 'I've been in 3rooms and I would never stay again if you paid me'

To all the great staff get a job in a hotel where the environment matches up to your personal skills so instead of complaints you can get the recognition you deserve.

• Stayed: March 2011
GM705, General Manager at Britannia Sachas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2011

Dear Travellervg