“good location but terrible rooms.”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #90 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
India
“good location but terrible rooms.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed here for 1 nite only but I don't think I will stay again. Bathrooms are old and dirty with a running flush all the time. Room was ok with view of the road outside and nothing great. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for more than an overnight stay (only if it's the only option).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank gary25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Such a beautiful building inside and out and great location too. Can't understand why the Corinthia group or Kempinski haven't taken it over and given it a make over. The doors of the hotel are wide open all the time which makes the reception area cold. You have to go round the staircase to get to the check in. The room smelt of stale cigarettes and air freshener. The pillow cases were tired and a bit ripped. The windows were dirty. The floor creaked. The bathroom was a bit tired and the shower was luke warm. Whatever was going on until 1-2am kept me awake - sounded like a nightclub or wedding reception. Wouldn't stay here again under the present management. £75 is cheap for the location. A tip is not to pay for breakfast because you can get a full English for £2.75 if you turn right out of the hotel a few doors down.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lucysmith31

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Burnley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hi
We stayed at this hotel on Fri 23 Sept 2011.

One night, double executive room, was supposed to be £150, but we didn't pay this & booked it much cheaper under an offer we had.

We weren't expecting the Ritz, especially at the price we paid, but it was a horrible pokey little room up in the attic! I called reception to ask what the difference between a doule room & a double executive room was & the receptionist advised me that we had a window in our room & that was the difference!!

The view, well, what view!! All we could see were stone turrets through the window slats! We had no view whatsoever, but there was no air conditioning so we were glad of a little fresh air!

There was no hot water in the shower or the bath, just mildy warm. I called reception & they said it would be hot soon, but it never came hot & we had to have cold baths otherwise we would have never got out!

The kettle was tiny! It was big enough for one cup, when it boiled water went all over the work top, even though I only filled it to just below the max level.

The television, actually worked, to our surprise, but yes there is a but!! The volume kept going off & the only way to get it back on was to tap the top of the tv. By the time you sat back down it went off again!
I was up & down like a brides nightie for ages & gave it up as a bad job!

Otherthan that we had a fab stay (lol) we enjoyed the night in Manchester, but won't bother with the Britannia again (whatever the price) - much preferred the Ramada where we stayed in August.

Feel free to ask any qyestions, thanks ;-)
Jil

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BurnleyJil
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

One of the oldest hotels in the middle of Manchester town centre,
1.yet the service, and the professionalism of the staff was not apparent, I tryed to ask for direction to the main reception room as a staff was walking pass me, she did not stop to shown me I was face with the back of (a) staff body language and a pointed finger where the room was, "not shown the room properly.
2.The main door to the reception room: was informed by the staff that they needed to be open, yet we had small children attending the reception which on this occassion a little person got out of the reception room and was find near the main road. The Buffet which was made by the Hotel the bread had mould on it, which was unacceptable. Health & safety what a joke!!!

Room Tip: Rooms where ok
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Lytham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

This Hotel would of probably been the best around at the time it was built but sadly not much has changed since then. Just very old and shabby, there was only one sockets in the room to charge our digital camera so we couldn't use anythign else. When we came in from our meal at night there was a security guard on the door as if it was a night club checking if everybody who enters is staying at the hotel as if all the younger ones try to take people back alot. There are much better hotels in Manchester, trust me!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FrankT24Lytham
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times, and each time the same bad things tend to crop up.
First of all if you are going to book a room here DO NOT book an ECONOMY room. They are tiny, dark with no window and no matter what time of year they are far to hot!! So hot it is hard to breathe nevermind sleep.
I booked a room with a window last year but the room was a disgrace, I contacted the hotel complaints who I must admit where good, and sent me vouchers for another stay.
I booked (for my birthday) a superior room with a jacquzzi bath - how they can call this superior i have no idea. Yes the room was alot larger, and yes the bath was very nice, but the room was disgusting. Curtains hanging off the rails, dirty marks on the walls, stains on the carpet etc. I complained again but as of yet have still not heard anything from them - this was back in June!!
The breakfast is hit and miss, and the breakfast staff are all foreign and can be a bit rude. Breakfast is served until 10.30am on a weekend - we arrived at 10:10 and was told we had to be quick and was given looks of disguist. They turned the lights off on the buffet and the choice was hardly anything. What was there to be eaten was over cooked slop!
On the positive - this hotel is in a fantastic location - and that is the only reason it is probably getting alot of bookings.
It is tired and very very dated and needs a total refit!

Room Tip: DO NOT book an economy room!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick-Defying_gravity
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

The reception area was very grand. The room however was not. I have never stayed in a hotel room with no window which was novel! Unfortunatley the decor was out dated and the bathroom was a throw back to the 1980s. My shower deposited more water on the floor than on me.Thankfully I only paid £30 with laterooms.com. The standard cost for a double room is £80+ and if I had paid that, I'd have wanted a refund. Eating in the hotel restaurant 'The Overstuffed Pizza' was an experience, not a good one, they were very under staffed (blame the management not the waiters as they were very apologetic)

On the whole there are far more high end hotels or apartments in Manchester which have good deals on price.

When I said I didnt want to see rain in Manchester, I didnt expect to be put in a room with no window!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends