“'Pot Luck' with rooms.”

Ranked #92 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
york
“'Pot Luck' with rooms.”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Firstly, I would say that this hotel is quite cheap so to a certain extent, you do get what you pay for. I would saythough that chains like, Premier Inn charge alot less and get a much more modern and clean room.
What I was very frustrated with was not being allocated the room I'd paid for and the unhelpfulness of the staff on reception.
I booked this hotel for the Leeds rugby match therefore it was very last minute and due to other things going on in the city, we had very little left to choose from. I called the hotel personally to book a room and mentioned the poor rooms on Trip Advisor. I was assured that the room I had paid for (£299 inc breakfast) was one of the best in the hotel: A double suite with spa bath and four poster bed.

I had already read that the hotel was 'tired' looking, in need of repair and that there were long queues at reception and no one to help with luggage; we hadn't paid alot so I wasn't offended and I did find all of these to be true.

When we arrived at the room (432) I felt quite angry, upset and disappointed. I knew it would not compare to suites in more expensive hotels but this room was disgusting. There was mould in the bathroom. The painted walls were full of chips and stains. Everything about it was unpleasant. There was no way that this room was the 'one of the best in the hotel' There was no spa bath and no four poster bed. The panel was hanging off the bath displaying all the plumbing work underneath.

I called reception and have never spoken to someone quite so unhelpful. She insisted it was a room with a spa bath and four poster bed. She went on to tell me what a spa bath was and was rude and sarcastic. Thankfully the manager was in the background and overheard the conversation. Within 5 minutes he was in my room moving my luggage to a room which was fitted the description of what I paid for. I was given a free bottle of house wine (gratefully received though not drinkable - very cheap tasting) Yes, the hotel is very tired, the bar area isn't spectacular and the breakfast is very average but this is a cheap hotel and I think you get what you pay for. I was just very annoyed that down to the very bad customer service from the reception staff, we almost had a very very negative experience at this hotel.

Sleep quality was poor, very noisy. There is a nightclub at the hotel and we were woken several times during the night by people leaving the club noisily and then by the bottles being 'thrown' into the bottle bins.

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have a hotel managment background so hard to please. This is a well worn hotel of that there is no doubt, however they do the best with what they have. Its clean, warm and welcoming and in a great location. We paid an amazing £67 for dinner bed and breakfast with a bottle of wine to thank us for our booking so value for money was supassed. The room was fine, fifth floor with a huge window loft style looking over Manchester, yes there were a few stains on the carpets and the walls could do with a repaint, but for a one night stay when you just need a bed then I don't think this hotel lets you down. Dinner was basic, soup or melon, gammon or chilli but plenty of vegetables, roast potatoes, and a selection of 3 or 4 desserts - I imagine the chef gets very little allocation out of our £67 so I think he did a good job - it was tasty and hit the spot before we went out. Breakfast was ok, good choice if not the best quality and a little greasy for my taste. The staff were very friendly and worked hard to please. The corridors to the rooms are what lets the hotel down, the carpets are badly in need of a deep clean or replacing but the bar downstairs is grand and prices competitive. Overall - if you can get a deal - take a chance - ask for a nice room and they will do their best to give you the best of what they have available. I wouldn't pay full price to stay here would only go if I can get a deal - sign up to the Britannia emails and they send them you through.

Room Tip: Tell reception you had problems on your last visit and could they try and give you a better room thi...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c_sweetmore
London, United Kingdom

Britannia

I only read the reviews on here as I travelled to check in & was a bit worried it was going to be a flea-pit.

Taking the advice of other reviews,  arrived around 2pm & asked for a quiet room. The receptionist was helpful & said he could do that, showing us on a map our room, the last in the row at the side of the building rather then overlooking the main rd at the front. It was room 460 & we only had a neighbor on one side with a fire escape on the other.  It's quite a walk from the lift.
Was relieved the double room was a good size with towels & toiletries for two. 2 soaps, 2 body lotions, 1shower cap & 2 shower gels that smells like Dettol & was really hard to squeeze out.
Thought there was Only 1 spare plug socket in room so  unplugged the tv but actually found another socket inside wardrobe (!) by the trouser press.
No main light for the room, just 2 lamps with 1 not working. This made the lighting in the evening terrible for doing make up in!
1 pubic hair in bath when we arrived. Toilet flush was weak so watch out if you need a poo!
No way of controlling any heat in room which was a Shame as we got caught in a rainstorm on way back from dinner & our coats were soaking. There was a large radiator in room & would have been great to have used it to dry them. Then in the night the room got really uncomfortably hot with no way of cooling down. In the morning, room was freezing!
At night our room faced some artificial streetlights which beamed through the thin curtains. Lots of drunks singing in street below for a while then some kind of pedestrian crossing noise kept being repeated over & over. Walls were paper thin. Could hear doors slamming in corridor a few times & people chatting on way back to their rooms. When the neighbouring room plugged something in, it was like they were plugging it inside my head ! So loud & so nearby!
Like a lot of hotels the smoke alarm on ceiling has an intermittent light flashing on it so had to position self so it wasn't in eyeline.

When you turn on the bathroom light the bathroom fan immediately triggers. So when next door got up in night to use bathroom we could just hear this fan which sounds like an electric toothbrush. Could Also hear neighbor turning on taps, their shower water sounded like it was splashing right next to me & could also hear them having a wee! So all in all not great unless you're a heavy sleeper.
Chose not to include breakfast as suggested in other reviews & went to the Blue Parrot which had been mentioned. It's out of the hotel turn right & 2 buildings down. It was ok.
We turned up @ 10.30am & they had no other customers. Coffee was nice but took 15 mins to arrive & that was before we'd been able to order food. Out of the 8 breakfast options, we were told only 2 were available which was fine by us. Took over half an hour for food to arrive & toast was stone cold & hard. So spent far longer in there then we had planned & had to rush off. Waitress & chef were very friendly. Was £16.60 for 2 breakfasts & 2 lattes.
Next day realized reviews probably meant Missoula which is 3 doors down, next to Blue Parrot. Was really nice interior & much cheaper £8 for 2 breakfasts & 2 hot drinks. Was double the size of Blue Parrot meal & nicer!
Next afternoon found both our door keys had been deactivated for no reason. Pretty annoying to get to room when feeling ill only to have to trudge down & queue for reception behind people checking in to activate them again. Receptionist was apologetic.
Room still had not been cleaned at 3.30pm which was a surprise seeing as we'd hung the "please service this room" tag on door. It had been done by 5.30pm when we popped back. Shaving gel & stubble husband had left on tiles had not been cleaned away so not convinced they 'cleaned' bathroom particularly. Some black mould growing between tiles.  Also Anyone over 5"11 will have to stoop in shower!
2 spare blankets in wardrobe were good when we needed an afternoon nap & duvet wasn't enough.
Word of warning, avoid nearby Hard Rock Cafe. Food had to be sent back as so disgusting , waiter who served us left half way through which meant the one taking over was clueless & had bad attitude. When I said I wanted a dessert to go he just shook his head at me! Couldn't believe he couldn't be bothered to answer. Thought he was joking but when i asked again he shrugged his shoulders & walked away. Amazing!

• Stayed October 2011
Surrey
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I had to stay here recently for two nights on business as there was nowhere else to stay in town due to the Tory Party Conference. This building was probably absolutely stunning in it's heyday and still has the potential to be, as the beautiful Victorian architecture and details are still there. However, it is so very shabby. It felt like it had last had any attention in the 80's when there was the Victoriana craze - so imagine 80's meets Victoriana - kitsch. The reception staff were generally rude and it took nearly 40 minutes to check in and even then they messed it all up. Then I got to my room which was called Executive twin - seriously shabby and grim. If that is what the executive rooms are like I hate to think what a standard room was like. The carpet looked and felt dirty with stains, the window was only accessible if you stood on tiptoes on a chair and even then I could only just look over the windowsill. It was just awful. Breakfast was charged at over £10 on the first morning and was just horrendous - grease everywhere and rubbery. Day two I took a walk to a nearby cafe which was oh so much better. Day 2 I got locked out of my room even though all my stuff was in the room. The housekeeper who helped me was fabulous and so very helpful. However the reception staff told me I was locked out as I was only staying one night. I showed them my card which clearly showed I was booked in for 2 nights and they argued with me. They eventually found the booking and pretty much told me it was my fault as my booking was under two separate bookings on their computer system - how I did that I have no idea as I was booked in all the time for 2 nights. And whilst I am on my rant it was extremely expensive. So not worth the money. To be honest I wouldn't recommend it at any price unless it had a complete refurb and new staff with customer service training.

Room Tip: Don't. You'd be better of on the streets I believe
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SiobhanS

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Firstly, the staff are slow, incompetent and most seem to have a poor level of spoken English. Secondly, when I had to cancel room, the central reservations team 'forgot' to, so the hotel charged for the third cancelled room and overcharged for the two rooms - by over £700, which took three days to resolve. Thirdly, my room was smelly, tiny and looked like something from a 1980's theme park. Finally, the breakfast has to be the worst breakfast I have ever eaten. Deep fried 'cheap' sausages, 'rubberesque' scrambled eggs, bacon which came in 'lumps' stuck together and not rashers as you'd expect, and finally, the lifts often don't work! Has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It's a shame, because it is a beautiful building. The owners need to update the fabric and sack the management! Then, it might represent some value for money - and I am far from a fussy traveller!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Radcliffe Manchester
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Came back to this hotel for pre holiday stay as previous stay was very good. if only they had given us the same room!!! The room we were given, although the carpet had been vaccumed there were stains all over it, hate to think what they were. Windows wouldnt open and had no air conditioning or if it did I couldnt find it.
Looked forward to setting ourselves up for the day with a good breakfast only to be dissapointed, what was supposed to be hot was cold and greasy. Tea served by the waiter was also cold.Would only consider going back to this hotel if the standards were raised. Think that maybe they are trying to compete with their recent aquisition 'Pontins' for lack in standards. Due to time constraints was not able to complain to the hotel so cannot report on any feedback.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simtart
Chessington
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Had to take the room at this hotel on business as Manchester was full due the the political conference.

I knew it wasn't going to be good, but it could be so much better.

Check in was great, staff were spot on very helpful.

Room 313 was described as a superior twin.

Goodness I'd hate to see the standard rooms!

The room was spacious with a nice strength power shower over a dirty bath in a filthy bathroom. Mould on the ceiling, on the Walls and the sink was badly cracked.

The bed was old & tired, hard as nails.

The curtains didnt fit the window and the windows had dirt which was without any exaggeration months old.

TV was faulty, carpet worn.

All mentioned to the pleasant lady on reception on check out to which she said I'll tell housekeeping about the bathroom & we are waiting for the windows to be cleaned.

I didn't dare eat there.

The sad thing is - the hotel could be lovely with a bit of TLC and cleaning. Shame!

Cost £132 room only!!