“old fashioned strategic position”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 14 October 2011

old syle building in the center of the Manchester city. Affordable in price altough some room are very poor; I asked for a quite room and they assigned to mee the very last one at the top of the building with the last floor whitouth the lift, the room was small and the bed recalled those of a jail. The breackfast room is in the underground and with a large buffet.
In conclusion if you dont look for details, this is a good solution in MC.

Room Tip: room at level 6 are without lift and quite small.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Britannia Manchester Hotel

Reviewed 13 October 2011

When I booked into this hotel for a three day buisness trip. I wasn't expecting high class but was expecting at least a good stay. The hotel looks very luxirous when you enter but their is that awful smell. The receptionists seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves which was a disgrace! However, my room was on the 4th floor with an alright view of the city. Clean and tidy no complaints. When I went for dinner at 6pm the food laid out was fantastic! Good selection of good clean bain-marie (which in most Britannias are dirty) the food was deliocous and I even managed to take some cake away with me for the night. The chefs bringing out the food were happy enough to explain the menu and pick out foods to my need. Restraunt staff, I had trouble understanding them due to accent barrier but helpful and quick. I would stay here again! On the account the hotel touchs up on it's errors

1  Thank Max W
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Room was ok. Clean and tidy with a comfortable bed. What more do u ask for?

Asked for papers to be delivered the next morning. They forgot but after a phone call were swiftly delivered.

The reception staff were'nt very good. They were more interested in talking to themselves and in my opinion were in the comfort zone. Shame really.

Lovely hotel and room though.

Room Tip: Waste of time trying to talk to the reception staff. Beautiful chandalier in reception. Ignore the...
1  Thank howdystranger
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed here for one night in an Executive Twin room. The hotel is very impressive yet traditional and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The only little niggling thing that we found wasn't good was that there is no central ceiling light in the main room so when you walk in it is dark until you switch on the bed side lights but thats all we found as a negative so overall the hotel is very good, clean and an ideal central location for Manchester - I would recommend

Room Tip: I would pay the extra again and have an Executive room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank windsor988
Reviewed 10 October 2011

When/if you book this hotel be prepared. We just paid £80 for a double room, with no breakfast included, but they failed to mention that NO WINDOW was included either! The room was dark for 24 hours a day. I booked for a wedding, 2 months in advance, so it wasnt as if I booked a last minute break & this was the last room. Apparently their are plenty of rooms without a window. Surely this should be mentioned when booked & paid for. Surely the hotel should base their rates on the fact it has a window or not, as its almost a neccesity. Dark & extremely stuffy all weekend. When asked to change rooms, the staff was getting back to us, but never did! An alarm went off on our corridor at 1am and woke us up. When I recently got woke up at The Hiltton, in the night, when an alarm sounded, we got a letter posted under our door the next day offering an explanantion. Not in the Britannia! The TV supplied was something out of the early 90's, and it has no BBC channels, just ITV, Ch.4, Challenge & News!
The pictures on the bedroom walls didnt match & were hung at obscure angles & places, just to hide marks or torn wallpaper.
This was a very poor stay & never again!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask whether the room has a window!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevin h
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I stayed 2 nights for business. The room was very worn and outdated, although clean. Bathroom was certainly adequate. My main complaint was the bed was the absolute worst hotel bed I've ever slept on. I could feel every spring in the mattress and the pillow was about 2" thick. The room had no window, and no adequate ventilation and was very warm and stuffy. I basically stayed out until I knew I had to go to sleep, because it was very uncomfortable to be in the room. I will say that the location (walking distance from the train station) was very good and the staff friendly and helpful. There is a bar attached to the restaurant that is kind of a local type hang out and I spent time there rather than in the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel, nor would I stay there again. Most of the hotels in the city were booked, and I picked this as a last resort because it had rooms for the nights I needed.

1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Friendly staff except one on left baggage.
A clean carpet and new wallpaper would have made it worth the £80.

• Stayed: October 2011