“Just OK”

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here as part of a package on a hen weekend.
The hotel location is really good - just a 5-10 minute walk to Piccadilly Train Station and the shops are similar distance.

Check in was quick and friendly. The entrance and foyer looks quite grand with a large staircase and massive chandelier. We stayed in a triple room on the first floor looking out to the front of the hotel. The room size was good however smelt musty and smoky. The beds were comfortable but the room decor is very dated as is most of the hotel. The window barely opened. The TV was very old and square (no flat screens here). No radio (apart from on the tv) or Clock. The hotel is clean but everywhere looks like it needs a good lick of paint and a bit of modernisation.

The breakfast buffet was good with a choice of traditional English, fruit, cereal etc and runs until 10.30am which is good after a late night.
The restaurant staff however leave something to be desired. We were seated quickly and cups were put on our table, but nobody asked us if we wanted tea/coffee. Even when we returned from the buffet we had to locate a waitress to ask for it. Our friends joined us later at the neighbouring table and again nobody asked them if they wanted tea/coffee. They didn't even have cups and had to ask for these and they never got milk so had to use ours. For a simple breakfast operation the staff only have to clean tables, re set and serve tea and coffee yet they couldn't manage that efficiently. They did however find time to give each other shoulder massages. The cleaner also shooed us out of our table as she needed to start hoovering - the dining room was almost empty and she could have started at the other end while we finished off. The second morning the waitress gave us tea after having to ask her and when I managed to find her again for a refill she just did mine without asking any other member of my party if they wanted one. Sloppy service for something so simple.
All other staff encountered were friendly and helpful. One kind man even got one of our group a packet of crisps from the shop across the road after hers got stuck in the vending machine and it wouldn't come out.

The fire alarm was set off by an idiot guest at 6.50AM but the hotel did put up a notice of apology stating it was a malicious act by a guest.
There was a large amount of foreign Man U supporters staying at the hotel so I'm guessing it is often used for group bookings.

All in all you get what you pay for. I don't know how much it is to book to stay here directly but our hen do package through a company was a good deal so I'm guessing they got it cheap. It's an OK hotel, good location, clean but out dated and a bit smelly. I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Well, after reading the reviews about peeling paint, stained carpets and all the other issues that previous reviewers have mentioned I was a little worried!! The reception was mega slow, rooms are basic and a little tatty, wooden windows don't shut properly and the radiators don't switch off... Oh, and the coffee sachets left in the room are cheap and nasty...

Booked breakfasts for the 3 night stay but gave it a miss after work colleague 'tried it'!!!!

Staff are ok, cleaner left trolley and soiled washing in corridor knowing I wouldn't be able ro get past her, which was rude...

All in all, it does the job but wouldn't take
The wife!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank stevietoon
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Got off to a bad start when reception wanted to charge £2 for paying with a debit card. Never had this with an hotel before, so I paid cash.
I was at a wedding here and the actual function room was very good. Otherwise the rest of the place consisted of peeling paint, stained carpets and all the other issues that previous reviewers have mentioned. The bar area was also far too small to cater for a hotel this size. Having said that, the bar service was excellent, far superior to the reception.
The hotel made a thing about validating the NCP car park ticket to save money. I think we saved about £1?
Overall summary is decent location but poor value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank turgonuk
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Fast check in
Impressive lobby and staircases
Slightly shabby corridors
Pretty clean and comfortable room
Free wifi
Hot, strong shower
Fast check out

All at a great price. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We visited here to attend my friend's wedding on Saturday 25th Feb, being from the Manchester area I was familiar with the location and knew what to expect in regards to the reception and wedding reception room. People have mentioned problems with checking in but luckily there was only 1 person in front of us when we were checking in as they were very slow. Rooms are definitely in need of a refurb, stains on bedding and walls and peeling paper. Bathroom very tired as well, wouldn't choose to stay over here again. The reason we were there though- the wedding was thoroughly enjoyed! We were very impressed with how the function room looked it really looked special(this would have had something to do with the bride and the venue dressers though of course). The bar area was nice where we all had drinks while we were waiting and the chandeliers especially the huge grand one in the reception/ foyer are a nice touch. The food for the wedding breakfast was nice not amazing but all was eaten! They didn't seem to do too well with the evening buffet though no announcement to say it was out and then all taken away very quickly so a lot of people didn't get any I believe. Breakfast in the morning was all you could eat and had plenty of choice. As a wedding venue- overall good but if choosing to stay in Manchester for another reason, I would pick a different hotel.

Room Tip: Having read previous reviews I'd read that the 5th floor was better to drown out noise and this...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2012

i was attending a course in manchester in the thistle hotel and staying in the britannia hotel from monday the 27th of february 2012 until thursday the 1st of march 2012...on the 3rd day of my stay i left the hotel to attend the course and returned around 4.30pm to find that an envelope had gone missing from a bag in my room which contained £85..i duly reported this to the police and the on duty manager who assured me he would investigate the matter fully... i left the following day again speaking to the duty manager who was unable to give me any details of who or how the theft was conducted but could have been due to a door being left ajar by cleaning staff .....on the 2nd of march 2012 i rang the hotel after returning home the previous day to find out about any developements...the duty who answered said when i informed him of who i was reffered to the theft as "alleged" and said i had accessed my room many times that day!!! i was infuriated and told him it was untue and i could prove i was in the thistle hotel until 4.30pm...mt tutor and ten other people could veryify this....sokol was the name given to me as the duty manager ......and thats all he would say.....HE IMPLIED I WAS LYING!!! DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR ROOM THAT IS OF VALUE TO YOU...IF IT IS THIS EASY FOR WHOEVER STOLE MY MONEY TO GET AWAY WITH IT STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Room Tip: try the thistle hotel up the road
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank alan m
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I'm going to insert a dissenting opinion here and say that the Britannia is, in its quirky way, a national treasure. A massive Victorian building right next to Manchester's Chinatown, the Britannia lacks the slick chic of global hotel brands, but more than makes up for it in character and dingy charm. Bath plugs on chains, hot and cold taps that you don't need a manual to operate! Cheap rooms, cheap (and great) breakfast, free wifi! Kettles and hair-dryers in every room! And a magnificent central staircase that makes you feel you're in the Scottish Highlands in 1952. I'd have to dock a point for the music they feed into public areas, though, and the paper-thin room walls, which'll get you -- whether you want to or not -- following your neighbours' conversations like a soap opera.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business