“The only thing good about this place was the Victorian facade” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia Manchester Hotel

Britannia Manchester Hotel
Ranked #90 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Columbia
“The only thing good about this place was the Victorian facade”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Not only did the wireless internet service advertised by this hotel not work, the telephone in the room was not operating. When I asked to be moved, I was told that none of the rooms had these services working. The staff was harried and generally unhelpful. When another guest asked to telephone the hotel in the same chain where he had stayed the night before and where he had left his wedding ring, he was told to go outside and use a pay phone. The breakfast was mediocre. I was so glad that I had only booked one night in this hotel and was very glad to leave.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel completely. There is no such thing as a good room here.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank P R F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times before and would do again when travelling on a budget.

The hotel is in a great location , central to everything. Canal street in 2 minutes away as is Piccadilly gardens and Thr Arndale shopping centre about 5 minutes away.

The hotel is very dated but the rooms were clean and served the purpose , if you want a luxury hotel experience then don't book here but if like me you just want a bed for the night then I strongly advise it

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Rossjh83
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed here on the 9th of June and the room which was an executive was so poor. I've stayed in budget hotel which would put this to shame. The wallpaper was peeling off the ceilings, there were stains on the walls and ceilings, the grout round the bath was black, the cover was missing off the bathroom door, and there was no back to the remote control. There was also suppose to be satellite tv but there was none and the picture on the tv was terrible. I would suggest if your staying in Manchester avoid this hotel because you will be disappointed. I complained to head office and to say the least their customer service is as bad as their rooms.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Bertie2011
Jason W, Manager at Britannia Manchester Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I apologize that you feel the room was not up to your standard. This does not sound like our usual standards have been kept. You mentioned that you have made a complaint to Head Office but no mention of speaking to a Duty Manager.

Should you have any concerns regarding your room, the best port of call would be to speak with the Front of House Manager or a Duty Manager. I can safely assure you that we would have done everything in our power to make your stay more pleasant.

I hope that you will give us another chance and I hope to welcome you back to the Britannia Hotel Manchester.

Duty Manager

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

stayed July 23rd to 27th via 'Just Go' coach holiday on their 'Lakeland rails sails & tails,Peaks & Dales trip. Having read negative reviews before travelling was arriving with low expectations..but were pleasantly surprised. On arrival our coach was met by a young man from reception with all our check in details prepared and rooms allocated with envelopes containing our electronic key and a welcome letter plus free drinks vouchers,saved a lot of time in not having to queue at reception.That's what I call service !...... but..no porterage offered or available for many elderly guests who had to carry a suitcase up the steep entrance steps to Hotel. Both lifts in foyer u/s (despite Manager Jason Williams stating on 20th July they were working and not working until 23rd July.)so we were directed through Lounge & Cromptons Bar to rear area near w/c's to take the 'service' lift to the 5th floor room- 546, a double 'no smoking' room ;exactly as requested.
Our room was adequate but other friends rooms we saw were small pretty poor quality and one smelling musty and damp.
Our room was roomy & well fitted and comfortable with a large window to the whole of side wall with views over office rooves,causing room to be stifling hot, so we had to close full length drapes to keep room cooler,opened the side louvres but to little avail,had to have fan on all night !coupled with the noise from the many air conditioners on near bye roof's made it most uncomfortable to sleep.The windows had not been cleaned in weeks as were the windows to the front of the Hotel incl.Bar Rogue.!
Room was clean and comfortable with newish carpet,some disrepair under louvres ;wallpaper dirty and hanging off possibly due to water ingress.roomy wardrobe with ample fitted hangers and a trouser press that was u/s,dressing table and bedside cupboards with lamps,double bed with soft/lumpy but comfortable mattress.three chairs,hair dryer, large tv. spy hole to door. Bathroom with modern white suite comprising of w/c, whb and newish bath with Mira thermostatic shower and curtain over,non slip mat and usual complimentary toiletries. Dual shaver socket.White clean fluffy towels and changed every day.!
The duvet(so called) cover was a grubby looking grey /white thing with either a blanket inside it or a squashed flat duvet .? sheet and 4 pillows clean and comfy.Mattress clean.
Complimentary Tea/coffee tray with new auto kettle.very welcoming & necessary after long days out.
We found no fault with reception,although we had not complained about anything; in fact details of free Wi-fi were offered on a printed slip giving the password etc and reception was good even in our room on 5th floor.We queried as to why the lifts and air conditioning in restaurant not on and were directed to the manager,but declined the offer.As was their habit in all queries.!without resolving the issue.
Jennys Restaurant -Having read what was said about the food being atrocious was ready for the worst; far from it.. our self service Breakfast was a joy, 7 quality cereals in dispensers incl.,Alpen, fresh hot Porridge (with pot of honey if reqd.,)tinned fruit ,yoghourt,3 fruit juices(orange,apple & grapefruit),bacon, sausage,baked beans,various eggs,fried bread,grilled tomatoes,mushrooms.all nicely cooked and not greasy. Dinner- soup or pate/prawn salad,carvery meats,various vegetables,roast and boiled potatoes,etc.good desserts,fruit salad and cream or various gateau.free water dispenser.
The only downside and a big no. no. was the oppressive heat in the Restaurant causing severe discomfort to many,air conditioning fitted but never on ! and only ceiling fans that just moved heat around room,like a sauna.! service and chef excellent and food to a good standard.
A nice touch were the complimentary drinks vouchers found in our welcome pack on arrival;although there was a management hiccup in withdrawing the vouchers so that when presented were refused because they were not stamped on reverse,rectified by a letter & new vouchers placed under our door some time later.
There were some evenings disrupted by inebriated youths(male and female)entering Hotel from street or Bar Rogue(part of hotel) to use toilets nr service lift and damage that ensued.spoke to duty manager Mr Sokol who explained that there was no security on except weekends, needs rectifying.! With todays high unemployment surely a man could be found to guard door weekdays and one to cart bags for guests, he would earn tips....
All in all a pleasant 5 day stay where management try their best to make your stay memorable,especially the young polish female restaurant manager. A well located City Centre Hotel(Piccadilly 5 mins away)with a free central bus service available to tourists and magnificent modern shopping centre incl.The Arndale. Kids and adults will love the modern tram rides and the dancing fountains in the park.
main point to note -the Hotel is an 1858 blt grade ll listed converted C & Carry warehouse with a selection of some 363 en-suite rooms some good; some bad..to suit all tastes.enjoy...?

Room Tip: try the no smoking 5th floor at rear, (not a two storey unit); beware- no lift to attic(6th floor...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlienWicker
Wicklow, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Spent 2 days here and literally spent the time walking up and down the stairs. This building is too old to be a hotel such as Manchester. Arrived with a group of friends staying on the fifth floor. Rooms had no windows (as was advised) but there was no air conditioning available so sauna like conditions was what we got. The lifts were either broken or out of service, as was the showers in all six rooms (after comparing notes)which went from extremely hot to extremely cold without touching the dials. The bathroom ceilings are some sort of plastic material panels put up in section s which during the shower began to drip cold water from the joints between them. The key cards for the room topped it off as they were programmed and reprogrammed on three separate occasions which resulted in three fifth floor visits up and down.
The building is too old and badly needs a renovation to ensure guests are comfortable as well as a really good look at the prices. I paid £174 per room per night with no breakfast.

Room Tip: Fully explore the rooms available and ask lots of questions
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TrevorL78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive criticism. As you have stipulated, the building itself is very old. It is in fact a grade II listed building and was originally a mill. Unfortunately, around the time of your stay we were experiencing technical faults with our lifts. These technical faults were heavily sign posted at key areas around the hotel and were beyond our control.

With regards to your room keys, I am sorry that you encountered issues with these. This can be caused by the keys being in close proximity to credit cards and mobile phones. I apologized for any inconvenience caused. Thanks to you raising the concern, we have now ensured that our reception team brief our guests to so that our guests are made fully aware should they have similar problems.

I hope to welcome you back to the Britannia Hotel Manchester.

Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed here with a group of lads for a weekend in Manchester. We arrived with very low expectations and they were just about met. The positives are the hotel is relatively cheap & we found the central location excellent. The foyer & reception area are also nice & the bar was not bad. However the room was pretty dirty with large stains on the floor & the lack any windows was a first for me.

Probably worth the price, and we knew what we were getting, but I would hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a window!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corkman49
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive criticism. One of our main aims is to provide our guests with the best value for money and I am glad to see that on this occassion we have met your needs.
Our internal economy rooms do not have windows and this is clearly mentioned in the room details on booking websites.

These rooms are perfect for guests who are light sleepers as guests do not suffer from noise pollution from outside traffic or for guests who are out enjoying the nightlife that Manchester has to offer. If you wanted a window and a larger room, then I would suggest that on your next booking that you chose an executive room.

I hope to welcome you back to the Britannia Hotel Manchester soon.

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed in room 544 on the fifth floor on 3rd of August. Got a fantastic rate of £49 B&B off the hotel's website and for that price (coupled with the negative Trip Advisor reviews I read afterwards) I really didn't have high expectations, but as I was staying just 1 night I thought I'd risk it. However, I needn't have worried. OK, so the rooms don't live up to the standard set by the spectacular public areas, but our room was clean and spacious with plenty of natural light and a great view of the Manchester skyline. Yes, there was some noise from the street during the night but we'd left the window open and staying in any city centre will bring with it the usual sounds of life, especially at weekends. Other than that, I heard nothing from the other rooms or the corridor and slept like a log in a really comfy bed. Breakfast was fine. The usual choice of cereals, fruit, cooked and continental options, and everything was fresh. As for the staff at the hotel, we found them to be nothing less than helpful and friendly at all times, and I always appreciate being allowed to leave my luggage at a hotel before and after my stay so I can enjoy the location I'm visiting. The location of the hotel was perfect for us - 5 minutes from Piccadilly train station and even less from the main shopping street. All in all we had a fantastic stay in Manchester and our night at the Britannia had a big influence on this. I would say, when a hotel gets mixed reviews such as this one, then as long as your expectations are realistic, you should judge the place for yourself. Otherwise you could miss out on a great experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor have huge "skylight" type windows offering great views and loads of...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Britannia Hotel Manchester. I am extremely pleased to see that we met most of your requirements.
It is one of our main aims to provide great value to our guests, especially in these difficult times.

As you touched on, we are in a great location and our famous Britannia Big Breakfast has so many options that it caters to just about everyone. On behalf of all of the staff, I would like to thank you for your custom and we look forward to greeting you again at the Britannia Hotel Manchester.